Community > Posts By > Time_Engineer

Time_Engineer's photo
Sun 12/02/07 08:45 AM
The Day a Pig Fell into the Well (1996)

Hong Sang So's debut movie is one of the best examples of pure arthouse. It deals with the negative aspects of relationships and explicitly shows unhappiness, boredom, jealousy and adultery. It leaves the viewer with a lot to think about.

Time_Engineer's photo
Sat 12/01/07 06:00 PM

ever seen last house on the left

That's a GREAT movie. I love the way it showed how anyone can be a cold-blooded killer (which I suppose was the point of the movie).

Time_Engineer's photo
Sat 12/01/07 05:58 PM
I saw Hellraiser when it first came out and then watched it again a few weeks ago. After 20 years, I can say that Hellraiser is still a good movie.

Time_Engineer's photo
Sat 12/01/07 05:46 PM
Edited by Time_Engineer on Sat 12/01/07 05:47 PM
I'm going to break this down by spoken language and change 'greatest' to 'favorite'. It's not my job to decree which is the greatest.

Favorite English movie: ALIEN

Favorite Korean movie: GREEN FISH

Favorite Chinese movie: KUNG FU HUSTLE

Favorite Japanese movie: CASTLE IN THE SKY

Favorite Thai movie: LAST LIFE IN THE UNIVERSE

Favorite Vietnamese movie: CYCLO

Favorite Spanish movie: PAN'S LABYRINTH

Favorite Russian movie: COME AND SEE

I'm not familiar enough with movies in languages other than those mentioned to comment.

Time_Engineer's photo
Sat 12/01/07 05:26 PM
I have seen some true stinkers in my time, but to wheedle them down to the number one most atrocious movie ever made would be quite challenging.

A movie that left me absolutely disgusted, disturbed, and filthy-feeling was SALO. Now, it wasn't a 'bad' movie. The content was extremely disturbing, not the acting or cinematography.

I don't feel that Salo fits the definition of a 'bad' movie, but I feel behooved to mention it because of the horrible feeling it gave me.

A movie with really bad acting was Black Honeymoon, a Korean movie. I believe it has a 1.5 on IMDB.

Time_Engineer's photo
Sat 12/01/07 05:11 PM
Due to the fact I haven't seen many '07 releases, I'll make a top 6:

01. Secret Sunshine (Korea)
02. Big Bang (Korea)
03. 28 Weeks Later (U.S.)
04. Transformers (U.S.)
05. The Show Must Go On (Korea)
06. Mr. Brooks (U.S.)

Secret Sunshine made #1 because it gives one a lot to think about. There are no special effects to drive the story, which, a movie like Transformers, absolutely requires.

The '07 release I missed that I really wanted to see was 'Sunshine', by Danny Boyle. It doesn't come out on DVD until January, although the Korean version has been out since August (but it's expensive).

Time_Engineer's photo
Sat 12/01/07 04:54 PM

Have you found anything new or interesting in philosophy lately?

Care to ponder any philosophical ideas?

I'm not a philosopher by profession, but here is an idea of my own: (keep in mind that this is for fun)

PHILOSOPHY OF REALITY

Humans exist. Why they exist is beyond the scope of my philosophy and will not be discussed. There are a variety of ways to organize all of the things that exist. For the purposes here, I have chosen to organize things (all things that exist) 3 ways:

Category 1: Humans.
Category 2: Exist because of humans. (Humans are relevant.)
Category 3: Exist prior to humans. (Humans are irrelevant.)

Summarily, we have humans, those things humans have brought into existence, and those things that existed prior to humans. Examples, I feel, are appropriate at this point.
-An ant maintains a category 3 existence. If humans disappeared, ants would not disappear. Ants do not require humans in order to exist. This example can be extended to nearly the entirety of the animal kingdom, with the exception of certain bacteria and insects that require humans.
-The boogeyman maintains a category 2 existence. He exists within the imagination of human beings. If humans ceased to exist, the boogeyman would go extinct. This example can be extended considerably to encompass the totality of human imagination.
-Atoms maintain a category 2 and 3 existence. Elements heavier than plutonium do not occur naturally, so they require our existence. Those lighter than, and including plutonium, do not require humans.
-Both science and religion maintain a category 2 existence. Science is a process by which natural processes are investigated and occurs due to the human mind. Religion is a collection of belief systems and exists due to human imagination.
-The Gods (Christian, Muslim, Greek, Norse, etc.) maintain a category 2 existence. Since Gods arise from religion, they are automatically category 2. Some people mistakenly place Gods in category 3.
More examples of category 2 existence:
Art, sports, writing systems, music, computers and books.
Highly debatable category 2 possibility:
Language. (Animals do communicate.)
More examples of category 3 existence:
Dinosaurs, planets, gravity, stars, electrons, space and time.

My philosophy does not invalidate the existence of anything. Reality is simple and this is a simple explanation. In order to accept my philosophy, one must overlook a minor detail - the future. The future is beyond the scope of my philosophy, although time is included. Paradoxes do exist, and have fun with that one!