Community > Posts By > ameriman

ameriman's photo
Thu 05/15/08 10:21 AM
if I missed the others, I apologize, but suzyq seems the only one touching what is potentially the heart of the matter. Communication. I am not a proponent of hitting, foot to ass (ahem), et alia for I believe you reap what you sow. Which really is the case now isn't it? People who resort to physical violence are generally intellectually inept, although there are many cases where this is a last resort.
I hardly believe the necessity behind this in a 13 year old. Restrictions tend to align a child with reality and at 13, there are many things a child can be impacted by in the absence of - their favorite activity, or item.
I would dig deeper in this and take a certain responsibility for distancing yourself from your child; what took either of you away from where you were when she was 5, 6, 7, etc? Essentially, perhaps communication broke down a long time ago, you're just now seeing the results.....a stab in the dark, what do I know hahaha...
As to how to get back on course; you send her to camp, you're expecting someone else to fix the problem. You take her to counseling, and you inadvertently alienate her. I would say, educate her, make some you & her time if you're not already doing that. Share a discovery with her. Put her on a program that is going to institute self-discovery and inspiration. Maybe she's just bored to tears. All in all, education and communication might go a long way to repair....I don't get involved in peoples lives and don't have a lot of exposure to kids, but in the case of salvaging a child's life and giving her the tools to make her/him successful in life...well I have a moment for that.....now, where was I? Oh yes, looking for a hot single chick that wants to date.......