Community > Posts By > mylifetoday

mylifetoday's photo
Tue 05/31/11 06:49 PM

Everyone that got married with the intention of being divorced please raise your hands.

"Good times and bad" means you are supposed to work through your difficulties, not run from them.

I understand this, but sometimes things just aren't all that simple. Not saying divorce is a good thing mind you if it can be avoided, but I think you're being a little bit naive.

Nope, not naive at all.

The majority of divorces are because at least one person just isn't happy anymore.

Without exception, every single happily married couple I know had a really bad patch in their relationship where they considered divorce. They worked through it. And guess what? They fell more in love for working through it than they had before. They loved each other more for the adversity they overcame together.

mylifetoday's photo
Tue 05/31/11 06:41 PM
Everyone that got married with the intention of being divorced please raise your hands.

"Good times and bad" means you are supposed to work through your difficulties, not run from them.

but there are cases where divorce is best, when someone is being abused is a good one.

mylifetoday's photo
Tue 05/31/11 06:37 PM

I learned a lot of spiritual truths while I was in Eckankar but the cult itself was a collection of plagiarized writings. That does not mean the writings were not good ones, they were! But so much of the organization was a big fat con.

Did I "unlearn" what I learned? Nope. I tossed out the crap and kept the good stuff. I tossed out the cult itself.

There are some good lessons and some good truths in the Bible, but don't buy the whole cult lock stock and barrel.

I suppose I should have used a better term than unlearn. You don't unlearn I guess as much as reorganize what you have learned and it's relevance to you and your life.

You're right too, there are good lessons in the Bible, as well as other holy books, the error is in taking it all as truth.

Actually unlearning is an excellent terminology. Things that become ingrained in us from say our parent teaching us young some unhealthy way to do something in life needs to be unlearned.

Quite a bit of the residual crap from our parents time needs to be unlearned in order to live a better life.

Are you saying that previous generations were deluded and wrong and need to be discarded in our new enlightened world?

Yea, not all of it is garbage but lots of it is garbage that is not healthy for people of this day and age.

We are suppose to learn more and be smarter than the generations before us. It is suppose to be a cycle that never ends.

So yea unlearn the garbage and get some more current enlightenment from that old drudgery that hold us back.

So our modern age of divorce is better than marriage is better than having a nuclear family?

New isn't always better.

At least people have the choice, rather than having to stay in marriages they are unhappy in.

I am speaking of the perspective of the children.

Leaving someone because you are unhappy and forcing your kids to grow up in a shattered home is selfish.

There are good and legitimate reasons to get divorced but because you are unhappy and unwilling to work on your relationship is not one of them.

If you're unhappy, you talk to your spouse and figure out what you can do to fix it. Running is not an answer, especially when there are kids involved.

We as a society have become extraordinarily selfish.

And what if they have tried and can't do it? At what point does it cease to do any good talking about it, and just end it instead?

Further, I might contend it can be even more worse on the kids, if they grow up in a home where all the parents do is fight. That's not exactly the best thing for them to be seeing either. In divorce, they would at least be shielded from that if got so bad.

Ok, you get married have kids get divorced and tell me it is better for your kids...

mylifetoday's photo
Tue 05/31/11 06:34 PM
Edited by mylifetoday on Tue 05/31/11 06:59 PM

I learned a lot of spiritual truths while I was in Eckankar but the cult itself was a collection of plagiarized writings. That does not mean the writings were not good ones, they were! But so much of the organization was a big fat con.

Did I "unlearn" what I learned? Nope. I tossed out the crap and kept the good stuff. I tossed out the cult itself.

There are some good lessons and some good truths in the Bible, but don't buy the whole cult lock stock and barrel.

I suppose I should have used a better term than unlearn. You don't unlearn I guess as much as reorganize what you have learned and it's relevance to you and your life.

You're right too, there are good lessons in the Bible, as well as other holy books, the error is in taking it all as truth.

Actually unlearning is an excellent terminology. Things that become ingrained in us from say our parent teaching us young some unhealthy way to do something in life needs to be unlearned.

Quite a bit of the residual crap from our parents time needs to be unlearned in order to live a better life.

Are you saying that previous generations were deluded and wrong and need to be discarded in our new enlightened world?

Yea, not all of it is garbage but lots of it is garbage that is not healthy for people of this day and age.

We are suppose to learn more and be smarter than the generations before us. It is suppose to be a cycle that never ends.

So yea unlearn the garbage and get some more current enlightenment from that old drudgery that hold us back.

So our modern age of divorce is better than marriage is better than having a nuclear family?

New isn't always better.

At least people have the choice, rather than having to stay in marriages they are unhappy in.

Leaving someone because you are unhappy and forcing your kids to grow up in a shattered home is selfish.

There are good and legitimate reasons to get divorced but because you are unhappy and unwilling to work on your relationship is not one of them.

If you're unhappy, you talk to your spouse and figure out what you can do to fix it. Running is not an answer, especially when there are kids involved.

yea coming from a man who has probably never had to be at the mercy of a man in a relationship...lolslaphead

You're right, I was at the mercy of a woman in my relationship who was unhappy and forced me into a lifestyle I abhor.

Why, because she was unhappy and refused to try to do anything to fix our relationship. I did everything I could.

The marriage counselor I went to - she came 2 times - said that she and her colleagues all noticed, once a woman decides she will divorce it is all but over. There is nothing that a man can do that will change her mind.

My ex had blinders on. Fixated on divorced and rushed through it as fast as she could so she didn't have to stop and think about what she was doing.

mylifetoday's photo
Tue 05/31/11 06:27 PM

New isn't always better.

mylifetoday's photo
Tue 05/31/11 06:18 PM

New isn't always better.

mylifetoday's photo
Tue 05/31/11 06:15 PM

No not really, if you could make it make sense to me, I would believe it. But you can't because a good deal of the teachings are nonsensical to me now, to where nothing is going to make them make sense in short.

I can't simply because you don't want to hear it.

There is a lot that can't be ignored but you must be willing to listen to see it.

Again, same for you too.

Actually, you can say that but you're wrong.

I do listen and will take other things into consideration. I have yet to hear a good argument that I should abandon my faith because it is illogical.

I don't blindly defend my faith. My faith actually tells me to question everything. I do. Everything is to be measured and weighed.

You still believe the truth is the Bush administration is behind 9-11 and you want me to think you have the truth???

mylifetoday's photo
Tue 05/31/11 06:08 PM

But is it an error if it is the Truth?

You say it is not for your reasons. I say it is for mine.

It's not truth though, I understand you have your beliefs but it does not make them correct.

But you cannot prove it to be wrong. I believe it is the Truth.

You don't want to see it for what it is. That is your choice.

mylifetoday's photo
Tue 05/31/11 06:07 PM

No not really, if you could make it make sense to me, I would believe it. But you can't because a good deal of the teachings are nonsensical to me now, to where nothing is going to make them make sense in short.

I can't simply because you don't want to hear it.

There is a lot that can't be ignored but you must be willing to listen to see it.

mylifetoday's photo
Tue 05/31/11 06:05 PM

mylifetoday's photo
Tue 05/31/11 06:01 PM

But is it an error if it is the Truth?

You say it is not for your reasons. I say it is for mine.

mylifetoday's photo
Tue 05/31/11 06:00 PM

You only half listen to what you want while discussing. I never said I wasn't Christian. I said I do not take that title on my own. I am a servant of Jesus our Christ. If you wish to call that a Christian, so be it. I don't follow the teachings of "Christianity" or anything man made. I follow the teachings of Jesus our lord.

Cowboy 1..2...and 3

which one of you Cowboys are Christian and which ones are not

lol, you're a great man funches. Full of humor.

I'm for real...let's get it on record...are you a Christian or not

allow me to explain why I've asked you that question ....it's to prove to you that you are in a religion and belong to a religious (cult) and therefore have been programmed to answer yes to the question because to answer no would be denouncing the works of Jesus

so come on Cowboy....are you a Christian yes or no ....please say "No"

Funches:

Are you a man or are you not?

I ask this question because if you answer yes you have been programed to answer this way by your gender. To answer no would be to denounce being a man.

I am an accountant. That is what I have trained to do and what I know. So, if I am asked to say either I am or not and if I say I am not I am denouncing the educational system is nonsense.

Those are different though, you can't help that you are a man, and you are an accountant, not much can change that. A spiritual belief can change however if you are open to new ideas, but your religion discourages that, and in effect binds you to it.

Actually being an accountant is very valid. I can change that but it isn't easy. I studied and learned to be an accountant just as I did for being a Christian. It is very relevant.

I am not brainwashed or bound to it any more than I am an accountant. It would actually be easier for me to change my religion than my profession. So which really is binding me?

Let's put it this way, you can't really unlearn what you learned to be an accountant, whether you're actively involved or not it will stay with you.

However you can unlearn and relearn other ideas about God if you are open to them. But again your religion discourages this on the threat of death and suffering if you ever go against it. That's how it binds you to it.

Um No,

I can no more unlearn my knowledge of Christianity than I can accounting.

I can learn new information but I cannot unknow what I have learned.

My belief in Christianity is based on my knowledge. I am not stuck in it as you imply. I am following it because I choose to. I know what God has done for me and I trust in what He will do for me.

I am not a Christian because I am afraid of being damned if I don't. You are essentially saying I am only a Christian because I am afraid not to be. I love Jesus and God and The Spirit and Love what They are doing for me. That is why I am a Christian.

The negative aspects you are referring to are all you are thinking of because you choose not to be Christian. Seems to me you feel guilty and want others to say you are doing the right thing and acknowledge Christians are mean. Can't do that for you. Sorry...

Ah yes.......the double bind. Of course it's not you, it's me. Well you're absolutely wrong, I feel no guilt for leaving my old ways behind. I've never been freer than I am now. Simply trying to open your eyes, that's all.

My eyes are open.

There is absolutely nothing you can say that will make me change the direction of my faith.

Don't know why you are trying to convince me that I should. I am extraordinarily happy with what I have chosen. To tell the truth, I have never thought about the damnation you are referring to. It is nothing I think about because it has no bearing on why I am a Christian. So, I am not brainwashed or afraid not to be. I choose this life because I know my Lord and He knows me. I don't doubt my choice and never will.

It is not the "double bind" as you say. I am just responding to what I am hearing from you. What I hear is a man that is very bitter about his experience as a Christian and wants Christians to admit they are at fault for your bitterness. I have no idea what you have experienced but from all you have said, that is what I see in you.

It seems to me you are rebelling against Christianity. So you are choosing to be whatever you are because of Christian teachings as well. So aren't you bound in what you are doing by the same nature you are saying I am?

mylifetoday's photo
Tue 05/31/11 05:05 PM

You only half listen to what you want while discussing. I never said I wasn't Christian. I said I do not take that title on my own. I am a servant of Jesus our Christ. If you wish to call that a Christian, so be it. I don't follow the teachings of "Christianity" or anything man made. I follow the teachings of Jesus our lord.

Cowboy 1..2...and 3

allow me to explain why I've asked you that question ....it's to prove to you that you are in a religion and belong to a religious (cult) and therefore have been programmed to answer yes to the question because to answer no would be denouncing the works of Jesus

Funches:

I ask this question because if you answer yes you have been programed to answer this way by your gender. To answer no would be to denounce being a man.

I am an accountant. That is what I have trained to do and what I know. So, if I am asked to say either I am or not and if I say I am not I am denouncing the educational system is nonsense.

Those are different though, you can't help that you are a man, and you are an accountant, not much can change that. A spiritual belief can change however if you are open to new ideas, but your religion discourages that, and in effect binds you to it.

Actually being an accountant is very valid. I can change that but it isn't easy. I studied and learned to be an accountant just as I did for being a Christian. It is very relevant.

I am not brainwashed or bound to it any more than I am an accountant. It would actually be easier for me to change my religion than my profession. So which really is binding me?

Let's put it this way, you can't really unlearn what you learned to be an accountant, whether you're actively involved or not it will stay with you.

However you can unlearn and relearn other ideas about God if you are open to them. But again your religion discourages this on the threat of death and suffering if you ever go against it. That's how it binds you to it.

Um No,

I can no more unlearn my knowledge of Christianity than I can accounting.

I can learn new information but I cannot unknow what I have learned.

My belief in Christianity is based on my knowledge. I am not stuck in it as you imply. I am following it because I choose to. I know what God has done for me and I trust in what He will do for me.

I am not a Christian because I am afraid of being damned if I don't. You are essentially saying I am only a Christian because I am afraid not to be. I love Jesus and God and The Spirit and Love what They are doing for me. That is why I am a Christian.

The negative aspects you are referring to are all you are thinking of because you choose not to be Christian. Seems to me you feel guilty and want others to say you are doing the right thing and acknowledge Christians are mean. Can't do that for you. Sorry...

mylifetoday's photo
Tue 05/31/11 04:36 PM

Cowboy 1..2...and 3

Funches:

mylifetoday's photo
Tue 05/31/11 04:32 PM

Cowboy 1..2...and 3

Funches:

mylifetoday's photo
Tue 05/31/11 04:23 PM
laugh laugh laugh

You say "not to toot my own horn," then proceed to do nothing but.

laugh laugh laugh

mylifetoday's photo
Tue 05/31/11 04:03 PM

I hate wanting someone to kiss me and there is no one to do the jobfrown

I second that motion.

All in favor?

mylifetoday's photo
Tue 05/31/11 01:12 AM
I hate being out of work.

mylifetoday's photo
Mon 05/30/11 10:38 PM
Edited by mylifetoday on Mon 05/30/11 10:50 PM