Community > Posts By > GkE

GkE's photo
Sun 08/29/10 11:19 AM
sudo apt-cache search <display manager you are looking for>. If you were a previous Linux user, you'll probably what to do next when it come to the dependencies.

Wdm like fobroth above said might help you too. But all of them are available as downloads from the repositories.

GkE's photo
Sat 08/28/10 07:12 AM
One bright, beautiful Sunday morning, everyone in the town of Jackson, Mississippi got up early and went to the local church. Before the services started, the townspeople were sitting in their pews and talking about their lives, their families, etc. Suddenly, Satan appeared at the front of the church.

Everyone started screaming and running for the front entrance, trampling each other in a frantic effort to get away from evil incarnate.

Soon everyone was evacuated from the Church, except for one elderly gentleman who sat calmly in his pew, not moving . . . seemingly oblivious to the fact that God's ultimate enemy was in his presence.

Now this confused Satan a bit, so he walked up to the man and said, "Don't you know who I am?"

The man replied, "Yep, sure do."

Satan asked, "Aren't you afraid of me?"

"Nope, sure ain't," said the man.

Satan was a little perturbed at this and queried, "Why aren't you afraid of me?"

The man calmly replied,
"Been married to your sister for over 48 years!

GkE's photo
Fri 08/27/10 06:11 PM

And I shall answer. I know the entire internet on a first name basis.

No, seriously. I've worked for wikipedia, done on-call tech support for 3 years on every system imaginable, and have about 5 years of college focused on the same.
Ask me.

Alright, try this:

Fresh install of Ubuntu 10.04 working with a Toshiba Satellite L30-101 (PS33E series). Slow networking (when doing traceroute on say, www.australia.gov.au averagely takes about 60+ ms). Disabled IPv6, blacklisted its kernel modules, resolv.conf file is perfectly fine, after running namebench find out the ISP DNS servers are best so I have those configured, disabled IPv6 with an argument from GRUB (GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="ipv6.disable=1"). Used aircrack-ng to attempt to find out if any electronic noise or other WiFi signals could be blocking and my broadband is the only one in the area currently using that WiFi channel, not near enough electrical appliances for them to cause any interference with the WiFi signals, no port forwarding configurations on the router anymore, even with it acts the same way, using an Atheros AR5005G wireless chipset (and we all know Atheros backs the FOSS communities 100%) and last but not least, Firefox now has absolutely no IPv6 support.

Still getting slow networking speeds with both external and internal connections to the internet and LAN but this only occurs with the Ubuntu installation; Windows is fine.

Answer that. :D

I always thought IVP6 is disabled by default, in Ub10.04.

Have you tried switching to a different frequency on your router? It might not matter much in Windows, but who knows..

Are you sure you didn't have problems in windows?

Nope. IPv6 is enabled by default in Ubuntu 10.04. Mainly for whatever security reasons Canonical decide to annoy people with next - silly choice if you ask me but that's Canonical for ya. :D
Yeah, I tried changing the WiFi channel, that's about all I can do with it and still no difference.

GkE's photo
Fri 08/27/10 01:50 PM
Edited by GkE on Fri 08/27/10 01:50 PM
1. Yep.

2. Yep. It's definitely WiFi but not hardware-related.

3. Nothing in logs - I've checked, checked then checked some more. Though, did not think to check signal-to-noise ratio.

4. Not an ISP problem, not hardware - I'm 80% sure it's kernel modules for WiFi somewhere - but what?

:D

GkE's photo
Fri 08/27/10 01:24 PM
Edited by GkE on Fri 08/27/10 01:27 PM

And I shall answer. I know the entire internet on a first name basis.

No, seriously. I've worked for wikipedia, done on-call tech support for 3 years on every system imaginable, and have about 5 years of college focused on the same.
Ask me.

Alright, try this:

Fresh install of Ubuntu 10.04 working with a Toshiba Satellite L30-101 (PS33E series). Slow networking (when doing traceroute on say, www.australia.gov.au averagely takes about 60+ ms). Disabled IPv6, blacklisted its kernel modules, resolv.conf file is perfectly fine, after running namebench find out the ISP DNS servers are best so I have those configured, disabled IPv6 with an argument from GRUB (GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="ipv6.disable=1"). Used aircrack-ng to attempt to find out if any electronic noise or other WiFi signals could be blocking and my broadband is the only one in the area currently using that WiFi channel, not near enough electrical appliances for them to cause any interference with the WiFi signals, no port forwarding configurations on the router anymore, even with it acts the same way, using an Atheros AR5005G wireless chipset (and we all know Atheros backs the FOSS communities 100%) and last but not least, Firefox now has absolutely no IPv6 support.

Still getting slow networking speeds with both external and internal connections to the internet and LAN but this only occurs with the Ubuntu installation; Windows is fine.

Answer that. :D

GkE's photo
Fri 08/27/10 01:18 PM
I completely agree. And has anyone seen the new Postman Pat? He's gone all techy and it's just plain silly now. Whatever happened to stuff that actually taught kids stuff other than how to annoy people with singing a long to annoying themes? lol

GkE's photo
Fri 08/27/10 01:07 PM
Thank you for your replies. Really appreciated. :-) I'll do that.

GkE's photo
Fri 08/27/10 08:17 AM
Heya, I'm new to this website. I found it today on Google and basically I joined to see what I could find either friend or relationship-wise because I have spent the last year or so spending time indoors being alone and spending a lot of time with my ordinary geek-ness, playing online games like WoW and spending time on programming forums so I've like, no confidence when it comes to this stuff anymore.

But if it's possible - I don't know if you guys do this much on this forum or not(?) but could I get opinions on my profile if anyone has the time please? It'd be really appreciated for any type of feedback, like add new pictures, does it explain much about me?

I really want to make changes to my life now and I feel like this is where it's starting now so I'm trying anything I can think of.

Oh. And hi Mingle users! :D