intelligenceissexy's photo
Sun 11/21/10 02:26 AM
If I were to choose my political opinions based on the looks of the most prominent television personalities representing those opinions, I'd be an conservative. I'd be something else too. Can anyone guess?

Sun 11/21/10 02:24 AM

I am a Tea Bagger and I Tea Bag those who oppose medrinker

Well.

All righty then.

Sun 11/21/10 02:22 AM

yawn Déjà vu. This brings us back to the fact that you are just so certain of your position, that you aren't looking at it.

I didn't state a position at all. I asked you a question.

I have never met a human being who was even consciously aware of every opinion that they've had, much less consciously chose it.

And if I was discussing that, you might be onto something.

I really don't give a poo what I "make things look like" when I'm making a solid effort to establish something as a clear falsehood. "What things look like" is up to the viewer, their knowledge, experience, prejudices, level of depth, etc.

You don't think you have any responsibility to communicate something when you're trying to communicate something? You think it's entirely up to the recipient to interpret you correctly, and any error in doing so is HIS fault and not yours?

Your questions are unrelated to my statements. Why are you asking me questions that are unrelated to my statements? If you had some difficulty understanding my statements, maybe you could examine that, and explain a bit better how you understood my statements. I'd be happy to clarify to anyone who is willing to think, first, before asking unrelated questions.

I'm establishing a relationship between "what things look like", which was a clear reference to how your posts are read by others, and how you feel about how your communications are understood by others.

To be honest, I'm not sure how this is in any way unrelated to your statements. If anything, it's too relevant, as it covers no new ground at all. Please advise.

Sun 11/21/10 02:17 AM

By the way...the "infinity plus one" argument was what kids in second grade did. Do you really want to go that route here??? Really?

It wasn't an "argument". It was a response entirely equal to the challenge put. I certainly did not want to "go that route", having assumed more than second grade arguments from this board.

On the whole, you've haven't demonstrated a very deep understanding of physics. This is not an attack, its simply my honest assessment.

I don't think this thread requires a very deep understanding of physics, which (and this is not an attack either, unless you work for Caltech) I don't think you have either. There are very few people who do. I think a broad summary of the main points would do nicely. And apart from mistyping 'mass' for 'density' once, I think I managed that.

Gravity does not 'tear' space/time. It bends both time and light.

Yes. That was one of the prompts which led me to *sigh*. There comes a time when it's best just to let someone believe something incorrect. And that time is when a correction will probably mistaken as a personal attack.

Sat 11/20/10 10:28 AM

Wont you achieve high speed if u jump from mount everest...??? or jumps into a very deep well..?? ( PL. DONT DO SO IN REAL)

Well thanks a lot! Now I have to cancel the weekend's entertainment I had planned!

Also, you don't seem to understand what "troll" means.

Sat 11/20/10 10:23 AM
The responses are a lot more cheery and familiar than the content of the message would otherwise seem to dictate.

Fri 11/19/10 08:46 PM

I believe you have now shown that you presume circular reasoning.

Are you sure that's your position? How do you know you're not wrong about that?

I really don't give a poo what I "make things look like" when I'm making a solid effort to establish something as a clear falsehood. "What things look like" is up to the viewer, their knowledge, experience, prejudices, level of depth, etc.

You don't think you have any responsibility to communicate something when you're trying to communicate something? You think it's entirely up to the recipient to interpret you correctly, and any error in doing so is HIS fault and not yours?

Fri 11/19/10 08:42 PM

a topic you obviously don't understand.

*sigh*

Really?

Well then. I guess we're done here.

Fri 11/19/10 12:49 AM

"It's not a bad thing to have well-thought out opinions. I don't know why you'd try to make it look otherwise."

Some people apply deception... Taking a safe approach and giving an opinion they think the others in the 'group' will like.

From observation a lot of people do this... Not because they don't have an opinion but because they prefere to keep their actual opinion private.

Holy balls. I never thought of that. You're right. I know people who admit to doing that all the time.

That's one of the great things about internet message boards, though. That sort of problem is minimised. So I very much think that it's not what's going on here.

Fri 11/19/10 12:48 AM
You know, I understand each individual word of that, but put them all together...

Thu 11/18/10 07:40 PM

To each their own.

Is that your reasoned opinion? Are you more sure of that than the opposite view? I'm not being a dick here. I'm trying to show you that this is circular reasoning. No matter what you say on the subject, it's an opinion you've arrived at, presumably relinquishing other opinions to do so.

It's not a bad thing to have well-thought out opinions. I don't know why you'd try to make it look otherwise.

The question of whether there exist any opinions that are better than other opinions is, to me, completely different from the question of whether most people's opinions are actually the best opinions in their view.

I am emphatic agreement with you re: the quoted paragraph above; in fact, my position on both topics arises from the same problem: humans are very prone to irrationality and self deception.

Yes they are. But we have objective ways of evaluating opinions, such as evidence, likelihood, falsifiability, etc.

Thu 11/18/10 07:36 PM

I saw this last night and it just blew my mind. So, would it be like having a box with no space limit and just putting more stuff in the box?

Yes. Now imagine all that without the box.

I'm not convinced that all of the black hole is part of our universe anymore.

It might not be. We'll never know. We can barely detect the things as it is. We certainly can't see them. We have to watch for "wobbles" and Hawking radiation and so on. There isn't even a theoretical way to work out what's going on in there.

However, the same physics which led to the correct prediction that they exist at all leads to the prediction that the singularity has zero volume and hence infinite mass.

Some will argue that quantum mechanics (the movement of sub-atomic particles, which is at great variance with the movement of everything else) allows for alternative interpretations, but there's no reason to believe any of them at the moment, and there is a strong reason to believe Einstein (namely, that he predicted their existence before anyone saw them).

Do we need an infinite number of bits in order to formulate infinate constructs?

In finite time, yes.

There is an argument which states that anything that has parts is divisible, and hence cannot be infinite, the logic being that something infinite must either have no parts at all (like the concept of freedom) or just the one part that goes on forever (like a singularity - good luck breaking that up into bits).

Wed 11/17/10 09:33 PM

How do you mean?

I'm demonstrating the link between expressing a dumbass opinion and enacting laws.

Are you sure? If so, what would convince you otherwise?

Cute.

You know, sometimes people are just so sure of their wrong beliefs, take them so thoroughly for granted, that they see absolutely no value in spelling them out explicitly. Its like informing someone that there is air in the room - why say the obviously true? This makes it harder for them to discover the flaws in their beliefs and their opinions.

Might this play a role in your lack of explicitness?

I was trying to show you the flaw in your argument. I asked two completely reasonable, completely relevant questions: that does not make me some sort of arrogant bastard.

Are you sure?

No.

Well then we're on the same page. Because I'm not sure your opinion is right either. For someone who's not really sure, however, you seem to be willing to push it pretty hard.

I'm pretty sure of all my opinions, at least the ones that I'm prepared to defend, as you have done on this thread to your unsure opinion. That's not to say that I'm not open-minded. If some new information presents itself, I'll happily change that opinion, as I have done on many occasions. I actually enjoy it when someone tears down my opinions. Because it means that whatever replaces it is better.

In this culture, we seem very averse to the reality that some opinions are just BETTER than others. All opinions do not have the same weight. A well-researched, evidence-based opinion, is BETTER than a badly-researched, faith-based opinion. And you (not you, massagetrade, you as in "one in general") might not like that, but if you did not accept this at least in theory, you wouldn't be riding around in airplanes or taking antibiotics.

Wed 11/17/10 09:22 PM
OK, massagetrade, first of all I have to say that I thought you were being sarcastic. I really did. I was expecting you to come back with some gibberish troll argument full of antagonism and ad hominem. So: sorry for underestimating you.

((Technically, its not completely correct to say that the train and the station are equal, since the earth itself is a rotating frame, and the departing train is constrained to the surface of the earth. But for everyday purposes the example works well, and is easy to translate (haha) to true translated frames of reference.))

Yes, it's the example Einstein used. So I guess it's close enough.

It's the same with this infinity thing. It might not make much sense, but it seems to be the way things are.

"It's", "the same with", "this infinity thing", "It", "it", your statement is composed of about 40% ambiguous terms/phrases; you seemed to have presumed context, without giving it earlier.

I have no idea which of several possible ideas you might have regarding "this infinity thing" you might be referring to.

I was referring to the existence of infinity in the natural world, which is what you were doubting, or looking for examples of. It doesn't make much sense, in the sense that the human mind isn't good at comprehending it. But it seems to be the way things are, in the sense that, no matter how badly the human mind can comprehend it, it seems to exist in reality.

Example from maths: pi. 3.14259...infinity. Circles and all sorts of shapes occur in nature, and their relationships to themselves and each other is often expressed in terms of infinities.

"But," you will justifiably point out, "this is rubbish. Numbers aren't real! I can't hold them in my hand, and in any case, they're only like that because of our arbitrarily selected base 10 numbers system. Some other pi-based numbers system would just call it 1."

Right. Make a Moebius strip: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%C3%B6bius_strip The side is infinite. And you're holding it in your hand. It's a real thing.

"But," you will point out, "this isn't what I was talking about. This is a man-made object. I want you to show me infinity!"

I can't. I can't take you by the hand and lead you to the middle of a black hole where you will see the infinite density of a zero-volume singularity. I don't think that will ever be a possibility. Until then, we're stuck with slightly artificial examples, like the Moebius strip or relationships between objects. But it does exist.

Oh, there is definitely winning with me...I'm honestly curious

Fair enough. You'll have to forgive me. I've been on the internet way too long. I thought you were a troll.

Are you saying that you find that position agreeable? I can be literal - are you not just saying that 'it can be argued', but that 'it can be intelligently, meaningfully argued'?

I'm saying that once you try to identify what you mean by "meaningful" without using any words derived from the word "meaning", you could run into trouble. And it is entirely a semantic sort of trouble. It's not a practical trouble. I think sometimes these debates can get hung up by WHAT I MEAN BY THIS and WHAT YOU MEAN BY THAT when, for all intents and purposes, it's obvious.

Wed 11/17/10 01:35 PM

I'll fix your examples for you.

1) "Gays shouldn't be allowed to marry, because homosexuality is wrong."

2) "Death to those who insult Islam"

3) "Teaching Christianity to children is child abuse"

I thought my OP was clear, that I was speaking of people forcing their morality onto others, because of some sense of superiority. Just expressing an opinion isn't an act of moral superiority, when it goes beyond expressing an opinion to dictating laws, that's what I'm talking about.

Prop 8 would seem to render your post nonsensical.

Wed 11/17/10 02:08 AM
Edited by intelligenceissexy on Wed 11/17/10 02:08 AM

That a nice little logical construct you've echoed - but its flawed. It assumes a rare simplicity of mind, and an even more rare degree of self honesty. And like most cases of simple logic, it seems so infallible, so self evident.

Are you sure? If so, what would convince you otherwise?

Wed 11/17/10 02:06 AM

Thats a nice little educational aside, I'm sure it served the audience well.

I can't be sure over the internet. Was that sarcasm?

Do you hold that anything in the material universe is infinite, in any meaningful way?

That's just a collection of words with no specific meaning. You could argue that the concept of infinity, whether or not it's demonstrable in the real world, has no meaning.

Thats just a collection of words with no specific meaning. What infinity 'thing'? What is the way things are?

Oh come on! You could say that about anyone's post on anything! Just "a collection of words with no specific meaning". I'm not getting into a whole semiotics thing with you. If I try to post something intelligent, you respond with sarcasm. If I try to post something basic, you'll call me patronizing. There's no winning with you, is there?

Meet me half way.

The expansion of space is what makes the universe look the same from many points, not relativity.

How exactly do you explain what that means without using relativity?

Infinity is not a number... Therefore it can be anything the minds eye assigns to it.

No it can't.

Wed 11/17/10 02:00 AM

I just love it when opinionated smart people argue. About anything, really. Or nothing at all.

I want to see his math! :wink:

Oh god! I'm awful at math!

*runs away screaming*

Mon 11/15/10 08:04 PM

If something or something does not make sense, do NOT accuse the person uttering it that he is not able to express him or herself. At least do not make the accusation so very automatic. I have been accused with the same charge in my life over and over again, and now I am a firm believer too, that I am loopy as a loon, a completely crazy person. But originally my own questions and statements used to make perfect sense to me. It's society's fault that I don't make sense any more.

What the hell are you talking about? I'm not making a value judgment on OP, and I wasn't even talking to you.

This is the question we were given:

What will happen if...
If there is a thorough (through out) hole to the earth exactly at the center.

This question is badly worded. It's not my opinion. It's not me having a go at OP for being one inarticulate motherf. It's just a banal observation which you have now turned into A Thing.

I don't care about grammar problems or spelling problems or whatever, except where they qualatatively interfere with the meaning. Now, there you see, according to my spellcheck, I have spelled "qualatatively" incorrectly, but it doesn't really matter because you know what it means.

With this question, I'm not sure what he means. And the failing is with his wording, not with my hypothetically faulty understanding, and certainly not with "society". If you post something and expect other people to read it, then you should want to be understood. I have no idea about your personal struggles with basic comprehension and I don't care because they have nothing to do with this. Start a new thread all about yourself if you want to talk about that.

Because, EVEN THOUGH this question is badly worded, I still made an attempt to piece together what he meant, and answered two possible interpretations.

Mon 11/15/10 07:56 PM

Well, if you go to the bother of putting together an opinion on some issue, then the chances are that you think that opinion is better than the alternatives. Surely that's just natural?

I've heard this a lot in my life, and I disagree.

At the risk of stating the obvious...

Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7