Community > Posts By > PreciousLife

PreciousLife's photo
Mon 02/11/08 11:18 PM
I can't see that its a contest or that we can compare one persons loneliness to another's. I think all of us have times when we are lonely. Sometimes it can get really bad. There is no question - loneliness sucks!

PreciousLife's photo
Mon 02/04/08 10:53 AM
Well actually its probably a really good thing. We tend to get swept up in the moment and with a teleporter we would be making waaaay to many mistakes that we would later regret. If its really worth it, no distance is too far and no traveling too difficult. No question it can feel quite frustrating though and I sympathize with you.

On the bright side, at least no one has had their bodies horribly mangled in a teleporter accident yet. ;-)

WHY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

they invented internet dating.......noway
BEFORE
they invented the TELEPORTER!!!!!mad
REALLY !!!!!!!!mad explode mad brokenheart

PreciousLife's photo
Mon 02/04/08 10:46 AM
I think we should have another tax revolt like the Boston Tea Party. Why are we as Americans just accepting that the Government (federal, state, and city) deserves practically half our income? Its really funny how thrilled we are when they send us back $600 rebates from our OWN money. I wish I could give people gifts from their own money. Sure would make gift giving really fun! ;-)

You need only reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence.
Charles Austin Beard (1874 - 1948)

PreciousLife's photo
Tue 01/29/08 08:35 AM

Why would I hate Bush? I don't even know the man...when a country ASKS for help then help should be given if possible.

Symbelmyne,

How can a country ask for help when the country is run by a brutal dictator? The people in Iraq were suffering terribly. Its kind of like if the Nazis were exterminating the Jews but didn't attack other countries. Should the United States intervene?

PreciousLife's photo
Tue 01/29/08 08:34 AM
FearandLoathing,

First of all recognizing the Armenian Genocide is now a political matter with our relations with Turkey and not a question of actually rescuing suffering people.

Secondly Saddam's brutality and murder was on a scale beyond most tragic situations. Saddam killed between 500,000 to 1 million people in his life time. That moves him into Stalin or Hitler territory.

What about the Armenian genocide? There are still states that don't even accept that it happened, and of the 40 that do accept it occured the United States still doesn't recognize it as a genocide (look it up). Where does the hatred for Bush come from? Thousands of American deaths that didn't need to happen, but he missed his memo. That on top of the on going failure of a war that was claimed a success years ago, so if it was a success why aren't the troops home? How does Bush gauge success? We have numerous oil reserves in the United States and Canada, on top of numerous countries under treaties with oil reserves. When it comes down to it the war isn't about oil or Saddam's murder and torture of his people (by the way this happens all the time in numerous other countries, why don't we bomb them too?) this war to me is a "daddy couldn't finish, but I will" war...and it is an utter failure.

PreciousLife's photo
Mon 01/28/08 10:29 PM
Symbelmyne,

Do you believe we should help the people in Darfur? If yes, do you believe that the Iraqi people under Saddam were suffering less then the people in Darfur?

People tend to respond with Bush’s motivation. Lets say you are correct and he was trying to protect the oil (which you and I use and if our supply was threatened it would destroy the economy. Imagine $500 a barrel of oil. Shouldn’t a president look out for the interests of our country?) Why is that relevant? If ultimately we did a good thing by stopping the wholesale murder and torture by Saddam on his people?

I don’t understand where this hatred for Bush comes from. Do you really believe he is an evil person? You can be free to disagree with his policies but do you honestly believe he is evil and doesn’t care about human life?

The US didn't go "to war" it invaded a soverign (sp?) country... Its especially in light of the fact that the so called WMD were never found...America's national interest in Iraq was oil..they let the cities burn while sending troops to protect the oil wells..While Osama Bin Ladden was hiding out in some cave in Afghanistan, remember him?--HE was the one responsible for the death of thousands of Americans.
With the removal of Saddam, one of the worlds most vicious dictators, terrorists were free to group and multiply there...and now continue to be a threat to Americans abroad.

PreciousLife's photo
Mon 01/28/08 08:24 PM
Leahmarie,

I think that a clear and present danger should not be the only criteria. If people are being brutalized we should help if we can. Obviously there is a limit to how thin we can spread ourselves. If we are prudent and careful we can get involved in other situations even if there isn't a clear and present danger.

Caring is what makes America a great country.

PreciousLife.....

There is no difference between what is going on in Iraq and Darfur. Hundreds of thousands of people are being killed in civil wars in both countries, and it is a tragedy.

In connection with the above, the reason we went into Iraq was because Saddam was a clear and present danger, because of his pursuit of WMD's and his harboring terrorists and destablizing the region. Therefore, it was in America's national interest to go into Iraq.

There is no clear and present danger in Darfar to America or to our national interests.

PreciousLife's photo
Sun 01/27/08 10:27 PM
Perhaps someone can explain to me the difference between suffering Iraqis when Saddam killed between 500,000 to 1 million of his people and Darfur where people are being killed and mutilated each day?

Why would anyone be for helping one suffering people but not another? I believe, if we can, we should help all suffering people who are bullied by dictators or murderous regimes.

Why do people who care about Darfur are somehow less caring about Iraqi's?

PreciousLife's photo
Sun 01/27/08 12:32 PM
Thank you Noden for your warm welcome. ;-)

Bonnymiss,

I think the big question is what are the fibers that brought the two people together in the first place? Most likely it wasn't a deeper connection of heart, mind, soul and shared goals and outlook on life. Perhaps one or two elements were there and as humans we long so much for connection that we are a bit hasty and jump in when we should have slowed down and explored to see if all aspects for a long term relationship are there.

Its hard because we yearn for connection and we don't like being alone - or we like the sensation of being in love more then being alone. So we are not that careful to make sure everything lines up for the long term before we jump in for what ends up being the short term.

That's why I think friendships make more sense to explore and in the long term if everything lines up then it could be "The one". If not everything lines up, then no ones heart was broken and you still have a good friend who you can share those aspects that you have in common that is enough for friendship but not enough for a soulmate.

One can build a relationship out of a friendship but sometimes turning a great friendship into an emotional relationship can spoil a friendship. I suppose it depends on the individuals involved. However, I personally find it hard to understand ( the older I get) what is so hard to maintain a good wholesome relationship, what,I ask is so difficult to hold together the very fibers of the events that brought two people together in the first place.................I hear answers of " We outgrew each other" " we no longer "click and the best one of all..............."[/b we are no longer in love" HELLO is love a light switch? got to hand it to us humans

PreciousLife's photo
Sun 01/27/08 09:27 AM
Great Poem!

What I find interesting is that everyone is agreeing how special and valuable friendship is. However the title of the poem is Friendship VS. Love. Which brings up all kinds of interesting issues. Particularly in the dating world between men and women.

We all ultimately want to meet the great love of our lives. But the fact is that the majority of relationships don't end up being the love of your life. Unfortunately because of expectations and the hurt that accompanies some break ups - a relationship that should have been a wonderful friendship turns cold because they went the rout of relationship Vs. friendship.

Its tricky. When you meet someone of the opposite gender, perhaps its worthwhile to think about creating a long lasting friendship versus an intense relationship which burns out, withers and dies.

PreciousLife's photo
Wed 01/23/08 04:36 PM
Abra,

You have some very good questions. Perhaps when you do have a good question rather then jumping to the conclusion that there is no answer and therefore all religion is a joke, perhaps you can stay open to look for an answer. Or you can ask me. ;-)

There really isn't a "wrong" religion. Most religions encompass the seven noahide laws which are incumbent upon every human being.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_Laws_of_Noah

They are as follows:

1 Prohibition against idolatry
2 Prohibition against blasphemy
3 Prohibition against murder
4 Prohibition against theft
5 Prohibition against sexual immorality
6 Prohibition against eating the limb of a living animal
7 Establish courts of justice

I don't think that you would have a problem with these Abra. That's all G-d asks of you regardless which religion, if any, that you follow.

The more you work on yourself to elevate yourself by doing kindness and loving others while improving your character is really all you have to do.

Doesn't seem too tough. ;-)

To me, the idea of a God who would inspire a regional book that is clearly ambiguous whist allowing men in other regions of the world to create other pictures of God, would clearly be a God who likes to play hide and seek and guessing games.

Any God who would be peeved at people who ‘guessed’ wrong would seriously be a demented deity.

If you have to ‘guess’ whether or not a certain picture of God is true, then it’s clearly not true.

A God who plays guessing games and then gets peeved at the people who guess wrong would be a demon.

PreciousLife's photo
Wed 01/23/08 04:14 PM
I haven't followed her too closely, but I did watch the controversy over the things that she said on the Donny Deutsche show about how she as a Christian believes that she wants to perfect Jews or something to that effect.

I really don't understand what people got upset about. Every group or religion is free to believe if others converted to their religion they would be a better person. You don't have to agree but she has the right to believe so and say so.

I think it was just an opportunity for her political enemies to attack her.

PreciousLife's photo
Sun 01/20/08 10:45 PM
Redykeulous,

You wrote:

"or like the Jews of Germany would you be prepared to sew the cloth of condemnation upon your sleeve and those of your family, and suffer the consequences without a fight? Or perhaps you think others would fight for you? You seem to think we should fight for others who are being destroyed. But you would not. Why should anyone try to save you, if you are not willing to save yourself?"

Did you read my qoute that you were responding to? I clearly wrote that I would fight in self-defense or in defense of others. So I am not sure what you mean.

QUOTE:
"I am a deeply religious person and there is no person or persons who can convince me to hurt another person other than in self defense or defense of others."

You wrote:

"Those like you who would do no harm, are not likely to be the ones to remain when the battle is done. (sad)"

I disagree. I belive that good will always ultimatly win. Check out history, every time a major evil movement arose they were ultimatly defeated. And me and my people who "wear the cloth" (whatever that means) are still here.

You wrote:

"We did turn our backs. That has nothing to do with why we are in Iraq. What’s more we have turned our back on Darfur, and THEY asked for our help, face to face, and our President acknowledged them. But they are not on the agenda, not then, not today."

This is a complete different discussion, but I just can't resist. How did we turn our backs on Iraq? They were led by a cruel dictator who killed a half million to 1 million people. Saddam is no longer killing anybody ONLY because the United States intervened.

We can argue and disagree what our motivation was. But you can not argue with the fact that ultimatly whatever our motivation was - it was a real GOOD thing that we did by invading Iraq - particularly for the Iraqi people in the long term.

I think if we are able we should go to the aid of any nation that is being bullied and destroyed by dictators or other forces. My big question is if we send in troops to Dafur and 5000 or more brave American soliders come home in body bags will you react the same way liberals do about Iraq? Why are the suffering people of Darfur more then the suffering people of Iraq were under Saddam? I think they are equally worthy of having someone help them. Unfourtunatly right now we are overburdened between Afganistan and Iraq. Where is the rest of the world? If the USA is so evil, why arent the French or the Germans rushing into Darfur???

The fact is that the US has done more for world peace and stability then any other nation. Think about what we did in WW2. We have our faults, but I think its disgraceful the way liberals and some people around the world don't appreciate the sacrifices we have made in blood and money to make the world a more just and better place. (Check out Panama without Norega.) Again we are not perfect, but show me one nation in the world who has done more???

You wrote,

"If you really think this was our motivation and our purpose, then why are we still there?"

Because it would be the utmost cowardice to walk away and leave the Iraqi's defenseless from their enemies - Al Quaida, Iran, and the many terrorists and bombers who don't think twice about blowing up innocent men, women, and children. I just can't understand where is the humanitarian caring for the Iraqis??? How can we abandon them???

War is tough and difficult and we are paying a terrible price from our solider's. But the cause is incredibly noble.

PreciousLife's photo
Sun 01/20/08 10:16 PM
Turtlepoet78,

Thanks for the tips. I will have to do some research on the Gnostics and shamanic Christians. Sounds really interesting! ;-)

@ preciouslife, good points but I feel I must point out not all christians follow the trinity theory;^]

Turtlepoet78,

I am not that familiar with the exact beliefs of all the different denominations of Christianity, but wouldn't you say that the vast majority of Christians do believe in the Trinity?

I am curious, which denominations don't believe in the Trinity? I know Unitarians don't, right?

Gnostics don't, not to many of my fellow shamanic cchristians do either. We're in a minority but we're here;^]

PreciousLife's photo
Sun 01/20/08 10:10 PM
Cuzimwhiteboy and also in response to some of what Creative wrote,

Before we make judgments lets first understand the historical context of what was happening at that time. The Israelites just went through 210 years of slavery in Egypt. Finally after much struggle and incredible miracles they defeated their captors, the mighty Egyptian army and escaped into the desert.

They just wanted one thing - to peacefully travel to Israel and live in the land promised to them By G-d.

Amalek was the first nation after the entire world heard about the miracles in Egypt and after G-d for the first time publicly made Himself known to an entire nation at Sinai - Amalek attacked.

"The eternal struggle against Amalek. Amalek's enmity against Israel stems not only from its legacy as the grandson of Esau, but from what his nation represents. The evil prophet Bilaam referred to Amalek as the first among nations (numbers 24:20), which means that Amalek is the leading force of evil, just as Israel is the leading force of good. Consequently, the struggle of Israel and Amalek is the eternal struggle of good versus evil.

...This passage outlines the first confrontation between Israel and Amalek, and it shows Amalek's treachery in launching an unprovoked sneak attack. As descendants of Esau, the Amalekites knew the boundaries of the land that had been promised to the offspring of Jacob. They knew they had no rational cause to attack, for their land was not endangered, either then or later. Nor had there been any prior battle between the two nations. There were only two reasons for the sneak attack: Amalek wished to show its brazen denial of G-d and His power, and it was carrying on the ancient legacy of Esau's hatred for Jacob (Malbim)."

This might be hard to understand but there is an evil in the world that hates Jews and Judaism because they are living witnesses to G-d's existence. This hatred has carried down through the ages, from the crusades, to the Spanish inquisition to the blood libels to the massacres during the black plague, to the pogroms of the Cossacks to the genocidal eradication of the Nazis to the Arab attacks on Israel to Al Quida today. I haven't even listed a quarter of the peoples who have tried to destroy the Jewish nation - the Greeks, the Romans, Haman in Persia on and on the list goes.

Amalek opened the floodgates. After them it was nation after nation that attacked us.

Numbers 21:21

"Israel sent emissaries to Sihon, king of the Amorite, saying, "Let me pass through your land; we shall not turn off to field or vineyard; we shall not drink well water; on the king's road shall we travel, until we pass through your border."

But Sihon did not permit Israel to pass through his border, and Sihon assembled his entire people and went out against Israel to the Wilderness. He arrived at Jahaz and waged war against Israel. Israel smote him with the edge of the sword and took possession of his land...

Numbers 21:33

...Og, king of Bashan, went out against them, he and his entire people, to do battle at Edrei. G-d said to Moses, "Do not fear him, for into your hand have I given him, his entire people, and his land; you shall do to him as you did to Sihon, king of the Amorites, who dwells in Heshbon. They smote him, his sons, and all his people, until there was no survivor left of him, and they took possession of his land."

Given the context of this historical hatred that lasts till today and the level of constant unprovoked attack - think Nazis and Al Quida then its pretty clear that G-d is in fact incredibly merciful and a G-d of Justice and righteousness.

When will people learn? Stop messing with us! ;-)

Cuzimwhiteboy,

Before accusing G-d of murder and evil, perhaps it would be worthwhile to study what those nations did to warrant punishment.

Its kind of like someone hearing that in 1944 the United States of America wiped out the German army brutally and relentlessly. What murderous and horrible evil people those Americans are.

In history context is everything. Study the subject well before making judgments about G-d.

TO PreciousLife:

Well, I never wrote "evil", but I'll reexamine those passages. I'm not sure how the eradication of men, women, children, infants, sucklings, and at times, livestock is "warranted". And I'm not sure how killing everyone, sparing virgin girls, and making them slaves is "warranted" either, but I'll definitely keep an open mind. I might not be as learned as you on the subject, so please enlighten me and the rest of the forum.

PreciousLife's photo
Sun 01/20/08 12:42 PM
Redykeulous,

I am a deeply religious person and there is no person or persons who can convince me to hurt another person other than in self defense or defense of others.

People like to repeat that religious people don't think for ourselves - that is utter nonsense. Every stereotype has its truths and falsehoods. Some people, religious or not, go with the crowd and do what everybody else is doing. Others are independent thinkers.

I would say among liberal thinkers political correctness is just as much a mindless path of following what the people in power say - regardless of how much logical sense it makes. Other liberals are truly independent thinkers.

Stereotypes are ultimately not true because people are individuals in every walk of life.

I am not sure how the war in Iraq fits into this discussion, but its a fact that Saddam killed between 500,000 to 1 million people in his lifetime. What would it say about us if we turned our back and said, "Hey its not our problem."

One of my favorite bumper stickers is "Hey why should we care, Saddam only kills his own people."

Sure we made mistakes and sure we didn't always make the best presentations about our reasons for going to war. But the bottom line is that in the greater scheme of things removing Saddam from power is a great thing for mankind.

It is the misleading and minsinformative information presented as propaganda to "the people" by "the Power" that maniplates and coherses the masses to FIGHT.

The GREATEST most effective propaganda ever used and STILL USED TODAY is the Religious trump card.

Consider the bias in the words of Americans today with whom you discuss the current 'war'. Have you ever discussed this war with everyday people and NOT been led to religious disciminations and bigotry? How many times I have heard comments about the 'horrors' that people in the mid-east face at the oppressive hands of outrageous religious beliefs. Must be reason enought to slaughter other humans, it's reason enough to Hate, isn't it.

This is why and how we can say that Religion is the Greatest single cause of wars.

PreciousLife's photo
Sun 01/20/08 12:17 PM
Spider,

I don't have an Isaiah in front of me, but this is pretty much the same type of discussion we had here:

http://www.justsayhi.com/topic/show/58635?page=3

about a quote from Genesis and if you look at page 4 there I also explained a quote from the Psalms as well.

Isaiah 44:6
Thus saith the LORD the King of Israel, and his redeemer the LORD of hosts; I am the first, and I am the last; and beside me there is no God.

Notice that both God and his redeemer are called YVWH in this verse. Also notice that when they speak, they speak as one "I am the first, and I am the last; and beside me there is no God". To me, this is clearly Jesus and God speaking as one. In fact, the statement is very similar to the one recorded in Revelations. What does this verse mean to a Jew? (I am assuming you are jewish, I haven't read your profile)

PreciousLife's photo
Sun 01/20/08 12:08 PM

PreciousLife:

I want to respond to your last post...

Creative,

Perhaps we do have the ability to understand Why, if we are open to it. The Bible is a great resource to understand the human condition.

The Bible is a great resource for the human condition? Please, elaborate here... I do agree, although this is a very broad point. I doubt our individual specific understanding(s) of that statement are in agreement.

The Bible is one of our greatest learning tools so it would be pretty foolish to not USE it to learn and grow as human beings.

I have seen people use it to learn how to justify hate... quite easy to do... the words contained are horrendous at times... egotistical 'guy in the sky' who has human emotion, without having human condition... Completely illogical, at best.

Used with a little deductive reasoning, it becomes a very good paperweight or bookend. Foolish it is to believe that a 'God' is on the same thinking plane as a human.

Why would you blame the Bible or religion for peoples foolish choices? Is it Jodi Foster's fault that John Hinckly decided to shoot Ronald Reagen in order to prove his love for her?

I have not blamed anyone for anything... or anything for anyone...:wink:

Jodi Foster is not portayed as an omni-god... who can do whatever she chooses. Just because she chooses. There is no such thing as a 'perfect' creator of imperfection.

People who hurt other people are not acting religiously. G-d is full of love and compassion and that is what He asks from all of us.

Is that right? huh Perhaps you should read a little more of the love described in the Old Testament...

Creative,

"The Bible is a great resource for the human condition? Please, elaborate here... I do agree, although this is a very broad point. I doubt our individual specific understanding(s) of that statement are in agreement."

Well the Bible discusses hundreds of years of all kinds of situations, scenarios dealing with all types of temptations as well as with our universal struggle to figure out what the right thing to do is in all kinds of situations. Its amazing how the great figures in the Bible struggled to do the right thing. Even when they did the wrong thing its amazing to see their motivation and how they learned from their mistakes. The Bible is all about how we are fallible human beings but we have the amazing capabilities to rise above and learn and grow.

Its really sad that the emotional anger so many feel at religion is taken out on G-d and the Bible. It would be worthwhile to examine where these strong negative emotions are really coming from.

Why would people repeatedly try and extrapolate from the situations in the Bible where war or justice was necessary? Why don't they ever mention the hundreds of situations that were filled with compassion, love and mercy? There clearly is an emotional obstruction when it comes to having an open mind about G-d and the Bible.

I wrote:

"Why would you blame the Bible or religion for peoples foolish choices? Is it Jodi Foster's fault that John Hinckly decided to shoot Ronald Reagen in order to prove his love for her?"

Which you responded:
"I have not blamed anyone for anything... or anything for anyone...

Jodi Foster is not portrayed as an omni-god... who can do whatever she chooses. Just because she chooses. There is no such thing as a 'perfect' creator of imperfection."

A few previous posters blamed the terrible things people did in the name of religion on religion. It is completely irrelevant when a Muslim, Christian or Jew says they are doing something in the name of religion, when their actions are clearly against what our Loving Creator would want.

Creative I would suggest you read my response to Cuzimwhiteboy in response to the rest of your post.

PreciousLife's photo
Sun 01/20/08 11:53 AM
Cuzimwhiteboy,

Before accusing G-d of murder and evil, perhaps it would be worthwhile to study what those nations did to warrant punishment.

Its kind of like someone hearing that in 1944 the United States of America wiped out the German army brutally and relentlessly. What murderous and horrible evil people those Americans are.

In history context is everything. Study the subject well before making judgments about G-d.

So, what am I to make of this "love and compassion" in light of Bible passages espousing G-d committed atrocities, or G-d decreed murder, genocide and/or enslavement of the Midianites, Amalekites, and other Canaanites? Upon reading these Biblical passages, I question whether G-d is asking for "love and compassion" from his followers, or blind obedience and subservience. I don't think these are mutually compatible.

PreciousLife's photo
Sun 01/20/08 11:51 AM

@ preciouslife, good points but I feel I must point out not all christians follow the trinity theory;^]

Turtlepoet78,

I am not that familiar with the exact beliefs of all the different denominations of Christianity, but wouldn't you say that the vast majority of Christians do believe in the Trinity?

I am curious, which denominations don't believe in the Trinity? I know Unitarians don't, right?