Community > Posts By > Shinaku

Shinaku's photo
Thu 12/31/09 09:20 AM
Isn't Kerberos just network auth? If you're thinking in regards to user permissions on files on NTFS drive using NTFS-3g I think it'd be down to the OS.

Shinaku's photo
Tue 12/29/09 07:42 AM

Windows XP.
Haven't tried 7 yet. Vista was ridiculous.

Yeah... there really aren't too many virus problems at all with Macs, but that can't make it up to me that even basic file types from Windows aren't supported. It's maddening.

A BIOS virus... that would be impressive.

Macs don't have BIOSes. The older PPC macs had OpenFirmware, and the Intel Macs use EFI.

Shinaku's photo
Tue 12/29/09 07:40 AM
Shouldn't be a problem at all.

What you'll need to do is install a linux distribution that comes with something called NTFS-3g, which is a plugin for Google's FUSE FS, that'll allow your Linux install to read/write to your USB HDD with it formatted in NTFS. Ubuntu 9.10, OpenSuSE 11.2 and Fedora 11 (all the latest versions) will come with it and just work out of the box :-)

Another way to do this would be to format the hard drive into FAT32, you'll loose the ability to have single files bigger than 4GB, but it'll work natively on pretty much every operating system and also work on things like the Xbox 360, PS3 and Wii.

Shinaku's photo
Mon 12/28/09 07:22 AM

MY IE keeps freezing up today ... like to insantity.

When I open photobucket, or other graphic sites, IE freezes and I have to close my browser.

What do I need to tweek? This just started today -- but every time I open certain sites.

You can also try:

Opera, Google Chrome, Netscape Navigator, Safari, those are some of the major browsers off the top of my head.

Netscape?! Really?! :P

It's pretty dread and just a skinned Firefox nowadays :P

Shinaku's photo
Mon 12/28/09 07:18 AM
War Sucks, Let's Party! - Anti-Flag

Shinaku's photo
Mon 12/28/09 07:16 AM
Edited by Shinaku on Mon 12/28/09 07:16 AM
double post :(

Shinaku's photo
Mon 12/28/09 07:16 AM
I play guitar IRL and in rockband, I love it XD

It's just fast colour matching to music, fun fun fun. :P

Shinaku's photo
Mon 12/28/09 07:12 AM
I saw this on Reddit a while back, the more you look at it the more accurate it gets :P

Shinaku's photo
Mon 12/28/09 07:11 AM
Pop through to http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/ and you can download and install it from there :-)

If this doesn't work send another reply to this and I'll talk you through couple things which might be stopping it working

Shinaku's photo
Mon 12/28/09 07:08 AM
"The one thing on Mac running a Linux is kinda stupid though, unless you got no installation disks for OSX, since OSX is based on Linux. I have both by the way, i don't use the powerbook much, unless i go somewhere...I got it for free haha..i wouldn't have bought it though..these old powerbooks (Titanium edition G4) still go like 2-300 bucks on ebay."

Yeah, Mac OS isn't based on Linux at all. Linux is a UNIX-like operating system, designed to be as similar to UNIX as possible, Mac OS based on Darwin, which is a fork of BSD, which is an actual UNIX.

Myself, I'm a Windows developer, my laptop and desktop are both Macs and I run a linux cluster at university (Apache, MySQL, Xen) with about 100 users. Each has their own role depending on what you want.

I recommend Macs to most homeusers, if the lack of games isn't a problem, because they're far more reliable - and if something does go wrong Apple's support is second to none.

If you want lots of control over what you're doing and don't mind getting your hands dirty once in a while, go Linux. Ubuntu is a great place to start from, giving you a fantastically well designed user interface, and being build on a rock solid proven Linux distro (debian) which lets you go in and play to your hearts content.

If you want to play games, go Windows. Although you can play most games to some degree on Mac OS and Linux using software like Wine or inside a virtual machine, you wont get the kind of performance on recent titles.