Community > Posts By > HippieDad

HippieDad's photo
Fri 06/17/11 02:51 PM
Seems appropriate but I'm thinking laziness is more marketable:

"A pioneer in research on play, Dr. Stuart Brown says humor, games, roughhousing, flirtation and fantasy are more than just fun. Plenty of play in childhood makes for happy, smart adults -- and keeping it up can make us smarter at any age."

http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/eng/stuart_brown_says_play_is_more_than_fun_it_s_vital.html

HippieDad's photo
Fri 06/17/11 02:22 PM
My kids are out now playing on their set I built. Monkey bars, swing, upper deck, 10 foot climbing wall... they have their gadgets, but I try to get them to live life, not watch it and use the tech as a resource.

HippieDad's photo
Mon 06/13/11 10:49 AM
Edited by HippieDad on Mon 06/13/11 10:50 AM
I love ted.com.
Seen the presentation on Play?

Bushidobilly... exactly, most these discussions are discussions on perception... further definitions would definitely help with time, space, light, image... time is what my clock says, it moves unless the batteries run out. Space is what usually contains nothing, so I can put stuff there, which I don't have enough of right now. Light is a tricky one for me... there's the switch on the wall that makes the room bright... doesn't work if I forget to pay the electric bill. It's also what usually wakes me up at 5am. And it's what Yoda is part of.

HippieDad's photo
Mon 06/13/11 10:37 AM
It's called self employment, if you can support yourself... also, contracting, consulting... etc. Technically the state called me unemployed, until I started paying taxes monthly.

HippieDad's photo
Sat 06/11/11 01:42 PM
Awesome story, we try to limit that stranger's influences anymore. He's a bit selfish, very greedy, and generally inconsiderate. He does have his sweet or enlightening moments, and that's usually when the kids can enjoy his stories.

We tend to bring strays in, from time to time. People in search of a temporary sanctuary. Some try to impose, but rarely overstay their welcome. Humorous though, I've contemplated kicking that stranger out, more so than any of the strays that have crossed our paths.

HippieDad's photo
Sat 06/11/11 01:32 PM
I would rape and pillage my neighbors for a quick buck, and be a millionaire. Nah, rather befriend them and help how I can. Rarely see those infomercials, unless you count the "Partnership for a Better Life" campaign.

HippieDad's photo
Fri 06/10/11 03:09 PM

Made it through the last one,
nice scar when I tan there.

hahaha
Branded!

That was a lesson on ADHD and bi-polar tho.

With a hella reminder :-)

Some lessons leave marks,
to ensure you remember the lesson :-)

HippieDad's photo
Fri 06/10/11 03:05 PM

Made it through the last one,
nice scar when I tan there.

hahaha
Branded!

That was a lesson on ADHD and bi-polar tho.

HippieDad's photo
Fri 06/10/11 02:57 PM

So, what your saying is ADHD guys shouldn't date women that are good with shiny knives... I should remember that one... oh, shiny.

Dating sounds plural.
You wouldn't make it through
the first one :-)

Made it through the last one, nice scar when I tan there.

HippieDad's photo
Fri 06/10/11 01:46 PM
So, what your saying is ADHD guys shouldn't date women that are good with shiny knives... I should remember that one... oh, shiny.

HippieDad's photo
Mon 06/06/11 11:29 AM
Edited by HippieDad on Mon 06/06/11 11:30 AM
More and more Doctors are in it for the money anymore. The VA tells me I should be on meds for ADHD, Anxiety, PTSD, and whatever the current doc wants to diagnose me as. If I'm functional without drugs, such as my parents, why would I do that to my body to treat a few symptoms, it doesn't fix the problem, it just creates a different one. It is pretty much the same with most people that see Docs regularly. I trust my Vet more than my kids' physician, especially when I had to go back and clean up his stitching on my son. Your paying someone to take your money and make more money off of you. Hobbies and outlets are way better for my symptoms and mental health than any drug cocktail. If that don't work, I pay attention to bodies cravings, fruit, veg, dairy, water, and what-not. Herbs can also benefit without toxifying your body or feeling like your in a cloud. Focus, mood swings, anxiety, restlessness... my research lead me to THC. Easy to get lost in it, but many can be more productive in moderation, or occasionally. Then again, what works for one person, or 100, likely will adversely react with another, as with any pharmacology. I treat Docs like I treat the police... if I can't figure it out for myself, or with some educated, researched advise, then I'll seek the opinion of some dude that had the money to get a piece of paper that says they studied to do job for a paycheck. My Butcher gives way better stitches, with little to no scarring.

HippieDad's photo
Mon 06/06/11 10:56 AM
Nothing wrong with a little grass every now and then. Tastes better in baked goods though.

HippieDad's photo
Mon 06/06/11 10:11 AM
Edited by HippieDad on Mon 06/06/11 10:11 AM
Was hoping for more social/political genres. Queen of the Damned was a decent campy movie, if you don't compare it to the book... like most of Hollywood. The kids and I really enjoy Last Starfighter, Explorers, Flight of the Navigator... movies where dreams are made possible.
I'd love to see a current adaptation of 1984, Fahrenheit 451, or even Soylent Green.

HippieDad's photo
Mon 06/06/11 06:45 AM
It seems like so much crap is being remade into senseless drivel. Why not movies that should be remade so that each generation can appreciate them. I was watching "The Great Dictator" last night... classic, timeless movie, but my kids weren't interested.
Also, what current actor should play the lead and be convincing. I was thinking John Cusack.

HippieDad's photo
Sun 06/05/11 02:46 PM

I keep thinking that I should be able to shape shift, travel via teleportation, fly through the air, become invisible at will, and various other somewhat "magical" things if I knew how all of it really worked.

Many scientists have these dreams and explore scientific methods, such as a glider. Some spiritualists claim to levitate or various other things out of body. We tend to create our own limitations and reality. "Magic" is possible in our dreams. Too many people "grow up" and quit dreaming.

HippieDad's photo
Sun 06/05/11 02:27 PM
Who would've thought physics, spirituality, etc. could take place here.
The problem is with the perception of light. What is the speed of perception and does it contain particles. What is light, are we talking about the energy that created the light, the optics which recreate the image of light to us, the wavelengths and frequencies, or the recordable data that we can process to explain it all. Same with electricity or Love. Tons of explanations, understandings, interpretations; but, the proof found is the proof looked for.

HippieDad's photo
Sun 06/05/11 02:00 PM

Kinda like a wave in a stadium. The individual wave moves, but doesn't significantly travel. The one next to it, mimics it's movement, down the line.

maybe, but the people still had to travel to get into the stadium...

Ah! Ha! See, it is still traveling then. :tongue:

The people aren't the light though, they are the wave, that is mimicking, or carrying the perception of the light. Similar to digital data, you are not receiving the specific letters that I am typing, it is a wave pulse, recreating the data thru impulses. Tons of articles and arguments on the subject.

HippieDad's photo
Sun 06/05/11 01:32 PM

I try, thank you.

You look and sound like my soul mate in another life. (But I don't really believe in soul mates...)

Welcome to Mingle HippieDad!!

Thank you, possibly, I've ran into several kindred spirits, all over the place, over the years.

HippieDad's photo
Sun 06/05/11 01:11 PM
I try, thank you.

HippieDad's photo
Sun 06/05/11 12:52 PM
I'm wealthy with family and friends. I think that is lucky.

Previous 1