Community > Posts By > billingsbud

no photo
Wed 09/09/09 04:33 PM
God never left?

You say this but provide no evidence. I am only speaking from the context of the Biblical God. Thus, I give Biblical evidence.

The God of the Bible only worked with Israel. The rest of the world was completely without God. They created their own ideas of God. Then, even Israel lost sight of God and followed those of the world. As a result, the ten tribes to the north sinned so badly that they were taken captive and lost their identity to the world today.

The Jews continued for 100 years. Then they too sinned and were rejected by God. They went into captivity but were allowed to return so that there would be a nation of Judah for the Messiah to be born into as the prophecy in Gen 49 states. Then, the temple and the people were then destroyed and scattered all over the world. They kept their identity because they kept the Sabbath.

There have been no communications from God since that time. In fact, the New Testament explains that the God of this world is not the God of the Bible.

2Co 4:3-4 But if our gospel be hid, it is hid to them that are lost: In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.

As to Him leaving, Christ said:

Joh 7:34 Ye shall seek me, and shall not find me: and where I am, thither ye cannot come.

Regarding His leaving and then returning, the angels explained:

Act 1:9-11 And when he had spoken these things, while they beheld, he was taken up; and a cloud received him out of their sight. And while they looked stedfastly toward heaven as he went up, behold, two men stood by them in white apparel; Which also said, Ye men of Galilee, why stand ye gazing up into heaven? this same Jesus, which is taken up from you into heaven, shall so come in like manner as ye have seen him go into heaven.

Finally, He comes to take back the earth and rule over it as King of Kings:

Rev 1:7 Behold, he cometh with clouds; and every eye shall see him, and they also which pierced him: and all kindreds of the earth shall wail because of him. Even so, Amen.

Art

no photo
Tue 09/08/09 11:53 AM
Joh 8:31 Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed; And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

People can study the Bible for years and never understand it. They can reject it and burn it. They can use it to say what ever they want it to in order to justify behaviors like they have historically when killing others, torturing them, taking their property, having same gender marriage, and every manner of disobedience.

There is one major point (of several) that needs to be understood. The Bible was not written to be understood by everyone. It is the same principle that Christ used when speaking in parables. He did not speak so that other would understand. Just the opposite:

Mar 4:10 And when he was alone, they that were about him with the twelve asked of him the parable. And he said unto them, Unto you it is given to know the mystery of the kingdom of God: but unto them that are without, all these things are done in parables: That seeing they may see, and not perceive; and hearing they may hear, and not understand; lest at any time they should be converted, and their sins should be forgiven them.

Jesus is actually quoting Isa 28. In like manner, the Bible is not written to be understood by everyone. However there are some rules it gives to understand, one of which is this:

You have to continue in "doing" what it says. People read it, and interpret it any way they like because they are not sincerely committed to submitting to what it says. So, they continue in their obscurity like the Pharisees who read the Scriptures and could quote them, but never understood what they meant.

Art

no photo
Tue 09/08/09 11:30 AM
I am absolutely convinced that the God of the Bible is the Creator--the only truly moral and holy God. He owns everything including us. I honestly believe the other gods are counterfeits. However that is another subject. To answer this one:

The God of the Bible is supposed to own Christians. However, they refuse to be owned by Him. Rather, they have attempted, as the author of this post clearly sees--to own Him! They call Christ their God. They call themselves His servants, but they refuse to do what He says. Ironically, they do the very opposite of what He says, and then pride themselves in their righteousness for doing so.

For example, they teach that His law is done away when He says it is not (Mat 5:17-23. By this teaching, they don't have to do what He says. They don't have to keep His Commandments. They can mix pagan gods like Saturn and Ashtoreth in what they call worship of Him. They make and then bow down to idols such as statues of Him, His mother or supposed saints, crosses with Jesus on them, or before a painting of claiming to be Him. They call themselves by His name (Christian) and their leaders actually take His name on themselves, saying that they are "Father" or "Reverend." They believe they can decide which ever day they want to worship Him. Thus, in their mind---they must believe that they own Him.

But, there is the downside--He is coming back:

Mat 7:22-23 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity--(lawlessness).

Art

no photo
Tue 09/08/09 10:56 AM
Many people believe that God only created the law of clean and unclean for Israel, and it did not exist before. They also believe that when Christ died for us that this changed. I'd like to add a few points for further clarity.

1. God changes not, and Christ is the same yesterday and forever. Further Christ said:

God created some animals to be fit for food, and others to be bottom feeders, and God's clean up crew. Others may not be eaten because of the way their bodies process food, or simply because of their nature--such as vultures.

These have always existed from the time of creation. Thus God said to Noah:

Gen 7:2 Of every clean beast thou shalt take to thee by sevens, the male and his female: and of beasts that are not clean by two, the male and his female.

Do these distinctions still apply today? Christ said:

Mat 5:17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil. For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

Thus, that which He created for us to eat has not changed.

2. When Peter saw the vision of unclean animals in Acts 10, he knew better than to eat. He actually refused God knowing that is not what He meant. Then later, he came to realize what the purpose of the vision was. It was not to say that meat that was not created to be eaten was now able to be eaten. It was regarding Christ calling the first Gentile into the Church. They were regarded as unclean by the Jewish people, and Peter said:

Act 10:28 And he said unto them, Ye know how that it is an unlawful thing for a man that is a Jew to keep company, or come unto one of another nation; but God hath shewed me that I should not call any man common or unclean.

3. When Christ said that it was not what went into the stomach that made a person unclean it was regarding dirt in a Jewish ceremonial washing of hands up to the elbow.

Mat 15:2 Why do thy disciples transgress the tradition of the elders? for they wash not their hands when they eat bread.
Mat 15:3 But he answered and said unto them, Why do ye also transgress the commandment of God by your tradition?

Mat 15:20 These are the things which defile a man: but to eat with unwashen hands defileth not a man.

Thus, they were eating food-not unclean meat when Christ said this, and the subject was washing, not what can be eaten or not. Think about this one. It is our tradition that is used to justify eating food God forbids, not His commandment.

4. Does it only matter what we think, and not what God has commanded? Some quote Rom 14:14 thinking they can eat food declared to be unclean just because they don't personally believe it is unclean. They quote Paul to say:

I know, and am persuaded by the Lord Jesus, that there is nothing unclean of itself: but to him that esteemeth any thing to be unclean, to him it is unclean.

However, this was not about eating unclean meat, but whether a person should eat no meat and only be a vegetarian. Notice the context of the verse. Paul starts this section saying:

Rom 14:2 For one believeth that he may eat all things: another, who is weak, eateth herbs.

It is about being a vegetarian or not. It has nothing to do with unclean meat. Paul would not eat unclean meat. He said:

Act 24:14 But this I confess unto thee, that after the way which they call heresy, so worship I the God of my fathers, believing all things which are written in the law and in the prophets:

5. Did God Cleans unclean meat? Some translations have an added part that was put in by the translators and which is not a legitimate part of the text. For that reason in the actual rendition it will be in italics or brackets, meaning it was added. For example:

Mar 7:19 because it goeth not into his heart, but into his belly, and goeth out into the draught? THIS HE SAID MAKING ALL MEATS CLEAN.

These words in capitals are not in the original manuscripts. They were added by men who put their traditions and thoughts above God's word. This we don't want to do.

6. Is every creature good for us to eat today? Some think so by reading Paul's words to Timothy. He said:

1Ti 4:4 For every creature of God is good, and nothing to be refused, if it be received with thanksgiving: 1Ti 4:5 For it is sanctified by the word of God and prayer.

What people seem to skip over is the clear statement Paul makes about the meat be3ing sanctified by God. Sanctified means set apart. Well then, what foods are set apart by the word of God? Those in Leviticus 11 of course. So, this verse is saying we can eat anything set apart as food in the word of God. Thus, we can eat those things, but not those which are not listed as appropriate.

7. When Christ returns and rules the earth for a thousand years, what will be His opinion on this subject? When he returns, He actually punishes those eating things like swine's flesh.

Isa 66:15 For, behold, the LORD will come with fire, and with his chariots like a whirlwind, to render his anger with fury, and his rebuke with flames of fire. For by fire and by his sword will the LORD plead with all flesh: and the slain of the LORD shall be many.
They that sanctify themselves, and purify themselves in the gardens behind one tree in the midst, eating swine's flesh, and the abomination, and the mouse, shall be consumed together, saith the LORD.

After His return, and during the millennial reign of Christ, He builds a beautiful temple in Jerusalem and appoints priests and a prince over the temple. This is all written in Ezek chapter 40-48. What is the job of the priests during this time when Christ actually rules the earth?

Eze 44:23 And they shall teach my people the difference between the holy and profane, and cause them to discern between the unclean and the clean.

Thus we see that God changes not. He was the same in Noah's day as He was in Israel's time, as when Christ was on earth, and as when Paul taught. Further, He is the same in the future when the Savior returns to the earth.

So, what is the point? The point is that we are not to eat these foods because God is holy and we are to be holy like He is. It is an object lesson for life. We are to make a difference between what we allow ourselves to eat to continually teach us the lesson that we are to put a difference in what we allow ourselves to do in our lives. As Paul writes the church about who is actually accepted by God:

2Co 6:17 Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you,

Will we do what God says or not? What was written for Israel was written for us at the end of the age (I Cor 10:11). All Scripture is of God, (2 Tim 3:16), and there was no New Testament then. So, the point is will we eat what God says or not? Will we do what He says or not? If we don't, it is we who are the unclean. That is the object lesson of clean and unclean foods.

Eph 5:5 For this ye know, that no whoremonger, nor unclean person, nor covetous man, who is an idolater, hath any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God.

Art