Anislandlostatsea's photo
Sun 07/26/09 10:24 AM
Thanks for your words of encouragement. Actually I have had no problems finding male friends. For the most part, guys here are cool, laid back and very well educated. However, all of them have had the same complaint as you or I. Especially people who have migrated from the South.

Sun 07/26/09 10:21 AM
I would have responded to your insults, but I really was raised to be a better person then you. Southerns are going to hate you, because you epitomize everything Southerns hate about Yankees. You will be back here within two years with your tail between your legs.

Thu 07/09/09 10:08 PM
This place is obviously your kind of scene... can't see why you are leaving.

Thu 07/09/09 08:49 AM

yeah thats not true, i live in columbus now, i lived here for a long time, went to ghana for a while, then i lived in florida for a while, now im moving back to florida actually in a week. people are not cliquey, u cant wait for women to come up to you, thats just arrogance, ohio woman will see right through that man lol. ur right tho, people are not very friendly here, theres a lot of cool bars on campus, the short north, german village, the hookah bars are pretty sweet people are really nice there should go to shi sha on high street, very nice place, or the basement (bar) on high street, other places include little bar, kickstand, murphy mcflips which is at polaris mall in westerville- niice irish pub, u really got to just google bars in columbus and experience a lot of different places, go to a smaller bar or a something, or like i said if u hate the city so much, then go out in the country a bit. stop complaining so much thoughand just enjoy yourself, smoke some pot and chilll out, honestly iv lived here a long time and iv never experienced any of the problems your talking about, a couple of my friends who live here are from mississippi and they have a great time living up here.

You have lived here a long time... which is why you haven't had my problems, if you have lived here a long time you wouldn't be aware of it. I talked to a friend (now living in Florida) who said she was here 2 years before making any friends. I am not waiting 2 years to make friends, that is absurd.

It is not arrogance to expect people to talk to me... I am outgoing, well-read, well-educated, funny and nice. I am not a player and I am not trying to get picked up or play games. Apparently everyone else is playing games.

Chill out and enjoy myself? Stop complaining? I thought this was a discussion forum. Am I supposed to just talk about what a wonderful scene Columbus is? How great the women are? Or am I trying to discuss the problems I have with this city and people?

Wed 07/08/09 02:53 PM
I have lived all over the country and I have never had a problem meeting women, I am very outgoing, personable and I have never lacked confidence. In fact most of my life women have come up to me. Maybe I am just used to people being a lot more friendly and outgoing.

I was warned when I first got here that people in Columbus are very cliquey. Is there some cool bars I might have missed? Some social scene I haven't found?

Despite it's size Columbus is not a very metropolitain city... more like a lot of small towns bunched together. 99% of the people I have met have grown up in Ohio and have never left. In the South most people are outsiders, so people make a lot more effort to be friendly and get to know each other. I guess I just made a giant mistake moving here.

Tue 07/07/09 07:50 PM
I have gone out to the bars and noticed there is one female for every 10 males. I am from the South and it seems women up here are not friendly or socialable. The few dates I have had seem more like job interviews... leaving me feeling like a total outsider. People here are weary of anyone that didn't grow up in Ohio.

Oh well, I only have 6 months left on my lease, then I can move back to the South and meet normal women again.

Mon 06/29/09 06:47 PM
What an interesting question, because I never thought of talking to someone at a grocery store, but people do in the movies and television. Don't most people meet in college classes or through mutual friends?