Community > Posts By > StarJane

no photo
Thu 06/25/09 09:09 PM

1) Is truth true because we believe it or do we believe it because it is true?

2)If everyone thinks something is true, and it is not true, is it true or not? If not, how would you know?

Hi, everybody! * * *
I am StarJane -- a twin sister of HANDLEWITHCAUTION (who is temporarily indisposed). So, in the meantime, I will replace her -- for all intends and purposes, you should treat me as her!..

First of, Gentlemen, the gist of Jeanie's question has gotten lost in the discussion of various philosophical aspects, such as language, the nature of truth, even mathematics... -- while really it conserns only the Law! (am I right, JB?) Thus, from that point of view:
1. the essence of truth (as correctly noted by Metalwing) is a relative matter which depends solely upon its definition.
Our forefathers have put forth a set of rules -- The Declaration of Independance -- that is the basis of the modern Law which governs our society. Thus, the Law is the reference upon which the truth is determined! Consequently, since our personal beliefs ought to have no bearing, it follows that
WE BELIEVE BECAUSE IT IS TRUE -- ACCORDING TO THE LAW * * *

2. Again, the Law defines the answer:
even if the majority is at the false assumption -- thinking something is True -- but really (i.e.ACCORDING TO THE LAW) it is false (Not true), then the law must prevail, overriding the rule of majority!
Consequently, IT IS NOT TRUE *According to the Law*.

But isn't the law supposed to be made and enforced by the majority?

Thanx to Jeremy, who took the words right out of my mouth -- before I even had a chance to respond (and chew it a bit) -- although he phrased it most eloquently:
"Majority acceptance is clearly not linked to actuality.
Else a flat word we would have. Every observation that overruled the majority's beliefs would also have never happened."
-- though, I think he meant "flat worLd", rather than "flat word... Anyways, Good answer* * *

no photo
Thu 06/25/09 02:30 PM

1) Is truth true because we believe it or do we believe it because it is true?

2)If everyone thinks something is true, and it is not true, is it true or not? If not, how would you know?

Hi, everybody! * * *
I am StarJane -- a twin sister of HANDLEWITHCAUTION (who is temporarily indisposed). So, in the meantime, I will replace her -- for all intends and purposes, you should treat me as her!..

First of, Gentlemen, the gist of Jeanie's question has gotten lost in the discussion of various philosophical aspects, such as language, the nature of truth, even mathematics... -- while really it conserns only the Law! (am I right, JB?) Thus, from that point of view:
1. the essence of truth (as correctly noted by Metalwing) is a relative matter which depends solely upon its definition.
Our forefathers have put forth a set of rules -- The Declaration of Independance -- that is the basis of the modern Law which governs our society. Thus, the Law is the reference upon which the truth is determined! Consequently, since our personal beliefs ought to have no bearing, it follows that
WE BELIEVE BECAUSE IT IS TRUE -- ACCORDING TO THE LAW * * *

2. Again, the Law defines the answer:
even if the majority is at the false assumption -- thinking something is True -- but really (i.e.ACCORDING TO THE LAW) it is false (Not true), then the law must prevail, overriding the rule of majority!
Consequently, IT IS NOT TRUE *According to the Law*.