SecretMissionTrish's photo
Fri 05/08/09 08:45 PM
Hmmm. Hadn't thought about children as I don't have anymore. When I was a single parent, I wouldn't date at all cause (if you want MHO), I didn't want strange men around my kids (and no offense to anyone, but there are alot of strange men out there).

Without kids? Yeah, I'd consider it. It'd depend on the person and situation.

Thu 05/07/09 09:48 PM
I was married for a couple of decades - got diagnosed with a medical condition (non-contagious). He got busy not being around.. my health got worse, and I was so very hurt that he wasn't there for me. Eventually, we divorced.

Know what happened? My health improved - ALOT. Seems a good part of my problem was that I was not taking care of myself, or my own broken heart. Don't get me wrong, I do not believe we inflict illness on ourselves, but I do believe we sometimes forget the importance of taking care of ourselves.

Walk through the uncertainty, walk through the fear, and allow your character to be true to who you are. If he's got it in his character to be there for you, he will be.

Thu 05/07/09 09:38 PM
Interesting discussion. If I understand the question, it is would you consider a relationship with someone who was disabled? By relationship, I think of a dating relationship. So will share my thoughts in that context.

First and foremost, I dislike dating. I am in the 45+ age group, and most of the people I meet have (diagnosed or undiagnosed) issues.

For me, I look at what I have in common with someone - first as friends. If we have similar values, drivers, goals, and are able to challenge one another, it is likely that person and I would become friends. If the friendship and related boundries worked, well, it's possible I'd consider dating someone with schizophrenia, just as I'd consider dating someone with physical disabilities. As it relates to any disability, I'd evaluate the degree (ie: can this person live independently, or frequently in hospital? Is this person managing illness, or self medicating, etc).

Every relationship has terms, and boundries, but I also believe that every new relationship begins with an opportunity for us as a human family to better understand one another.