Community > Posts By > FabVegasChef

FabVegasChef's photo
Mon 04/20/09 12:43 AM
Edited by FabVegasChef on Mon 04/20/09 12:47 AM
Well truthfully I never heard of roux breaking. And the high heat method is ok for restaurant work but most people at home are going to burn it 'cuz you have to stay on top of it and with the distractions that go on at a home are going to counter that. And the fat-molecule thing is way overkill for a simple cooking thing. That's the rocket scientist stuff that makes the food tv shows annoying for the simple reason that cooking is not rocket science. And I'm sorry 'due respect'? Sounds more like an ego driven dress-down. Try proposing it more like an alternate theory. There's always more than one way to do things.

FabVegasChef's photo
Sun 04/19/09 07:16 AM
I've seen some posts 'why does my roux (rue) break?'. Roux break? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Roux is fat and flour: butter, bacon fat, etc. and flour. The trick is very low heat. I like to melt my butter or warm my bacon fat on very low heat and gradually work in the flour. I like a very loose roux 'cuz it makes it easier to mix in whatever I'm trying to thicken. Roux should be stirred every few seconds for about 7-8 minutes to cook out the raw flavor of the flour. There will be a scent of nuttiness. Remember the longer you cook your roux the more it loses it's ability to thicken. For cajun cooking that requires a 'mahogany' or 'chocolate' roux I keep a 'blonde' or light roux on hand for thickening. You can keep roux refrigerated or frozen for future use. A good way is to buy an ice cube tray from the dollar store and put the roux in cubes, wrap well and freeze then you have pre-portioned roux for whatever need. Zmooch.

FabVegasChef's photo
Sun 04/19/09 06:22 AM
Roux break? Hmmmmmmmmmm well roux is fat and flour. Butter, bacon fat, etc. and flour. What I like to do is melt the butter or heat the fat on very low heat and add the flour gradually until it's a very loose roux. VERY LOW HEAT and then keep stirring every few seconds for about seven to eight minutes so that the raw taste of the flour cooks out. There should be a smell of nuttiness. Not longer than eight minutes 'cuz the longer you cook your roux the more it loses its thickening ability. For cajun cooking where I need a 'mahogany' or 'chocolate' roux I keep a 'blonde' or light roux as well for thickening. Roux can be made in advance and kept refrigerated or frozen for future use. A really good way is to buy an ice cube try from the dollar store and put the roux in cubes and freeze it and then you have pre-portioned roux for whatever. Zmooch.

FabVegasChef's photo
Sat 04/18/09 08:44 PM
Edited by FabVegasChef on Sat 04/18/09 08:46 PM
I have a blog on myspace if anyone is interesting called 'cooking is not rocket science'. This is not for "self promotion" lmao. I make absolutely no money doing this blog. This is to de-mystify the ridiculous cooking shows on TV by personalities who have never worked in a kitchen and don't write their own recipes. Like I said 'if anyone is interested' still lmao. If you need a tip or an idea email me. Zmooch.

FabVegasChef's photo
Sat 04/18/09 06:58 PM
If anyone hasn't seen the Susan Boyle video Google it. It's on youtube. The heart of this woman is incredible and she sings absolutely fantastic. Zmooch.