Community > Posts By > Mitani02

no photo
Thu 03/12/09 06:44 AM
Hun, you could use the same recipe for the crock pot, just make sure to test the peppers when their done, slowcooking will make them taste good too.

no photo
Thu 03/12/09 06:19 AM
The Above recipe is a standard I have seen around the states forever, however, I can never eat them because when they get put in the oven they get burned slightly and taste so metallic! But, I found a way to fix that, for those of us out there that dont like the baked version, here is another way that tastes good too.

Loose Recipe:
Amount of Bell peppers for family, large 1 per person.
Enough hamburger to loosely stuff all the peppers.
Brown or white minute rice
Salt and Black Pepper
Tomato Juice or V8 (Large cans of this, you will need enough to completely submerge the peppers.)
1\2 cup italian dressing per large can of Tomato or V8
--------------------------------------------------------------
Wash Peppers, and cut a hole in the top around the stem, about an inch in diameter, be carefull to not split the Peppers. Using your finger or a spoon, move around the inside of the pepper, removing seeds and the fibrous little wall things in there, wash these out, and turn upside down to get out excess water.

Combine Salt, Black Pepper, Hamburger, and White or Brown minute rice in a large bowl, mix evenly, DO NOT COOK RICE BEFORE HAND.

Stuff Peppers to the top with balls of the mixture in the bowl, overstuffing can split peppers, so be careful.

Combine with a whisk, Italian Dressing, and Tomato juice in a large pot (When I make this for more than three people, Im forced to use a stock pot sometimes) and heat to boiling on stove, stirring occasionally, do this on medium heat, high heat will scald the tomato juice, and there is no worse taste than burnt tomato.

Submerge peppers in boiling tomato and dressing mix, the vinegar in the italian dressing will evaporate, taking with it alot of the acidity in the tomato juice, and cutting off that metalic taste in the green peppers skin.

Boil for a good 30-35 minutes untill you see meat coming out of the top of the bell pepper is brown, and cooked completely, remove one pepper from the juice, and test it to see if it is completely cooked, a good meat thermometer, or a keen eye with a fork can tell alot.

Once cooked, remove from mixture and reserve it, slice peppers in half upon plates, and spoon a small amount of tomato juice over the insides, serve.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Leftover juice from the pot, can be placed within a refrigerator covered, and once chilled the grease within it will rise to the surface, skim this off, and throw away the grease, and you have an amazing soup stock for the next day, to use with whatever left over stuffed peppers, or other veggies you want to put in it!

Everyone who tries these always wants the recipe, and I give it out freely!

no photo
Thu 03/12/09 05:59 AM
Another way to cook it, to keep the flavor of the meat without adding too much spice, and keep it just a tad healthier(yeah weight concious embarassed ).

A quick method my grandmother showed me with cheaper steaks, is to use a meat hammer, and put what seasonings you want on it, then pound them with the slotted end, not the diamond shaped end untill the seasonings dissapear, (Black Pepper wont dissapear no matter how much you try!)

This only takes a few moments, and thins the steaks, from here you can quick fry them in a bit of olive oil, or cover and cook quickly with water. As long as you turn them often as said earlier, they wont get tough!

Suggestions for spicings, depending on your tastes.

Dill weed oddly makes a good spice for beef and chicken, im afraid to try it on pork, considering the grease quantity.

A Dash of Cayenne adds good color and a bite that hits the back of the tongue.

Mint on beef works, I found this out recently when my brother put it in my oregano shaker on accident.

Serve the steaks with a salad, or fridge pickles (Vegetables in a mix of water, vinegar and a little honey that have been refrigerated for a while.)