Community > Posts By > Jim00047

no photo
Sun 08/17/14 06:30 AM
Divorce is much more socially accepted nowadays too. Years ago a divorce was viewed as a failure by many. Now it's almost fashionable and a recognized inevitability, kind of like rehab... Lol

Maybe thats what we need. A rehab program from failed marriage. Lol

no photo
Sat 08/16/14 01:16 PM
Here's my thoughts on the issue;

I'm still married, but it's not good. Have been married for 28 years and have remained faithful throughout. I'm here on this site looking now though.

Quite honestly marriage is frustrating. The temptation that's out there, and the trials & tribulations you have to go through to stay married and raise a family are difficult to overcome. My wife actually proposed to me. I was young and not very worldly at the time, had not dated many people, but didn't want to lose her, so I agreed. We were both so young. Also came from a strong Catholic upbringing that stressed no messing around.

We had some really great years. We really did, but we have now grown apart. Our children (2 girls) are bitter that we don't ever seem to get along any more and have sided with my wife over me, fueling the resentment between us even more. We have tried numerous times to get the excitement back, but there's just no spark. Our two kids are now grown and pretty much on their own and we're left with a boring and unexciting relationship. She's asleep on the couch by 8:30 every night. I'm still way too young at heart for that kind of lifestyle. Have tried counseling but no help. Guess that's why I'm on this site now. I miss the excitement of having someone special to be with.

I really believe part of the problem for the younger generation today also is that times have changed. Women don't need a husband to take care of them any more. Women can have it all now, a career, kids, multiple relationships and so on, without ever getting married, and guys don't need to commit when women are so independent, so why get married? Really doesn't make any sense any more unless you want two incomes and want to raise a family together or just can't stand to be alone. People also now live a lot longer today than before. Staying with the same person for 60 years is really unrealistic. When marriage began, people lived till about 40. Now people commonly live to 80. You're stuck with the same person for 60 years. Lol Maybe you should have to renew your marriage license like you do your drivers license. Lol.

I'm sure there are many many exceptions to my comments and lots of people love being married, but if I had a chance to do it all again, knowing what I know now, things would be entirely different.

Thanks for reading, please don't condemn me for my thoughts on this subject. Just telling my view on the issue. I hope this doesn't discourage anyone from marrying someone they really love and can't stand to be without. Just don't jump into it as a leap of faith as I did.