Community > Posts By > ThomasJB

ThomasJB's photo
Tue 08/11/09 09:21 AM

Mermaid Fever Makes A Splash In Israel
11:53am UK, Tuesday August 11, 2009

Dominic Waghorn, Middle East correspondent

Israel is in the grips of mermaid fever after numerous sightings of the mythical sea creature off its coast.

One town council is taking the reports so seriously it is offering a $1m (£609,000) reward to anyone who can prove the existence of a mermaid in its waters.

Kiryat Yam municipality, near Haifa, says it has been told of dozens of sightings in the past few months.

"Many people are telling us they are sure they've seen a mermaid and they are all independent of each other," council spokesman Natti Zilberman told Sky News.

The nautical nymph is only seen in the evening at sunset, according to media reports, drawing crowds of people with cameras hoping for a glimpse.

"People say it is half girl, half fish, jumping like a dolphin. It does all kinds of tricks then disappears," Mr Zilberman said.

Asked whether a dolphin or large fish could be a more rational explanation, he insisted: "They say it is a female figure, it looks like a young girl."

The council denied its offer of a reward was a publicity stunt, but said it hoped to nurture the mermaid as something which could bring in more tourists.

Capturing a mermaid is not necessary, a verifiable photograph will do, Mr Zilberman said.

Asked if the council can afford the payout, he told Sky News: "I believe, if there really is a mermaid, then so many people and tourists will come to Kiryat Yam, a lot more money will be made than a $1m.

Source

ThomasJB's photo
Tue 08/11/09 09:12 AM

by a most amazing woman!!!! smitten love smitten love smitten

ThomasJB's photo
Tue 08/11/09 09:08 AM
For my love:

ThomasJB's photo
Tue 08/11/09 09:03 AM

ThomasJB's photo
Tue 08/11/09 08:32 AM

Thomas, thanks for the info, but, IBM wanted way to much information before letting me dl Lotus Symphony. I put open office on my system again and played around with it. Finally got it to do what I wanted. Hopefully now I can find a good email client, so I can scrap Outlook; but, I need the calendar. Thunderbird and endora don't have a calendar. WLM does, but I can't figure out how to get the holidays on it.

99% of the time you can lie on all those registration requests. I do 99% of the time. In this case, they don't need the truth or even a real email.

ThomasJB's photo
Tue 08/11/09 08:30 AM

She is/was infected with a rogue anti-virus. The way that rogue anti-virus's are programed there wouldn't be a conflict, though her anti-virus wouldn't pick it up as her anti-virus would more than likely be disabled. Her problem is that she ran system restore and now can't see her icons, virus shouldn't be a problem now since she is back at an earlier configuration on her PC.

Now the problem is if the restore corrupted her windows install, which is why explorer.exe and the task manager comes into play...that doesn't work, she has to reinstall windows.

System restore does not fix a virus problem. And a complete reinstall is not necessary to fix a corrupted explorer.exe either. Assuming virus is taken care of running the repair utility after booting from your windows disk, should fix that.

ThomasJB's photo
Tue 08/11/09 12:34 AM
For my love:

All Love Can Be

by Charlotte Church

I will watch you in the darkness
Show you love will see you through
When the bad dreams wake you crying
I'll show you all love can do
All love can do

I will watch by the night
Hold you in my arms
Give you dreams where no one will be
I will watch through the dark
Till the morning comes

For the lights will take you
Through the night to see
All love, showing us all love can be

I will guard you with my bright wings
Stay till your heart learns to see
All love can be

For the Longest Time

by Billy Joel

Oh, Oh, Oh
For the longest time
Oh, Oh, Oh
For the longest time

If you said goodbye to me tonight
There would still be music left to write
What else could I do,
I'm so inspired by you
That hasn't happened for the longest time

Once I thought my innocence was gone
Now I know that happiness goes on
That's when you found me,
when you put your arms around me
I haven't been there for the longest time

Oh, Oh, Oh
For the longest time
Oh, Oh, Oh
For the longest time

I'm that voice you're hearing in the hall
And the greatest miracle of all
Is how I need you,
and how you needed me too
That hasn't happened in the longest time

Maybe this won't last very long
But you feel so right
And I could be wrong
Maybe I've gone this far
And it's more than I'd hoped for

Who knows how much further we'll go on
Maybe I'll be sorry when you're gone
I'll take my chances,
I forgot how nice romance is
I haven't been there for the longest time

I had second thoughts at the start
I said to myself,
hold on to your heart
Now I know the woman that you are
It's wonderful so far
And you're more than I'd hoped for

I don't care what consequence it brings
I have been a fool for lesser things
I want you so bad,
I think you ought to know that
I intend to hold you for the longest time

ThomasJB's photo
Mon 08/10/09 10:54 PM
Edited by ThomasJB on Mon 08/10/09 10:55 PM
Yeah I ate your cookie!!!

ThomasJB's photo
Mon 08/10/09 10:05 PM

1 ... 2 ... 3

ThomasJB's photo
Mon 08/10/09 04:39 PM

Woman duped by middle-age man who acted like a child

BY REBECCA BASU • FLORIDA TODAY • August 9, 2009

Janet Schulte believed the man when he told her by phone that his 40-something, disabled brother needed a caregiver who could bottle-feed him and change his diapers.
Advertisement

What the Melbourne woman can't believe is that he committed no crime, now that she said she has found out the situation was a charade: that the man and his brother were same person.

And that he didn't have the disabilities he claimed to have.

"I feel violated," Schulte said, sharing her story because she said the man has deceived other women and will try again. "I feel disgusted."

Investigators and prosecutors have refused to pursue charges, saying Schulte was paid and agreed to provide the care.

FLORIDA TODAY is not identifying him because he is not being charged.

"I consented to change his diapers, but I legitimately thought this man needed help," she said. "How can that not be a crime for him to come into my house and expose himself?"

Sgt. David Marich, head of general crimes for the North Precinct of the Brevard County Sheriff's Office, brought Schulte's case to the State Attorney's Office.

When prosecutors said there wasn't enough evidence, Marich said his office did more research to try to find some statute that was violated.

"It's a weird case," Sheriff's Lt. Tod Goodyear said. "It's really on a borderline of possibly being a fraud. He is perpetrating something there because he's doing it under a false pretense."

FLORIDA TODAY tried several times to reach the man at his Port St. John home and on a cell phone. He did not answer the door or the phone.
How it started

The deception began, Schulte said, when she placed an ad online on Craigslist.org offering child care services.

She said a man called and asked Schulte if she knew any special-needs caregivers.

And, she said, his story went on.

The man told Schulte that a car accident left his brother with physical disabilities, including weak arms, poor bladder control and the mental capacity of a 5-year-old.

He told her how an aunt and current caregiver had no patience. He offered Schulte $600 a week to look after his brother.

The man insisted that his brother could come to Schulte's house by himself because the aunt lived nearby and he knew the neighborhood.
Advertisement

Schulte said "the brother" spent his days at her house watching cartoons and playing video games.

"I took care of him just like I would my kids," she said. "I rubbed his head when he was falling asleep. I waited on him hand and foot."

In the three months Schulte provided care, she said the man never slipped out of character.

"The guy played such a good role," whether pretending to be the brother or the man who hired her.
'Brother' not seen

Schulte said the man who hired her always had an explanation for any red flags. She tried to meet him in person, but their plans always fell through. But that seemed normal, given their competing schedules.

Schulte and her husband, Dominic Randall, talked to him often by phone.

Then Schulte said her husband noticed subtle changes in "the brother's" behavior, and payment to his wife was erratic.

Schulte said Randall followed him one day when he left their home: Instead of walking to his aunt's house, he got into a parked car two blocks away and drove off.

Her husband followed the man to his home and confronted him, she said, and sheriff's deputies came.

According to a sheriff's report, the man admitted to the deception and blamed post-traumatic stress disorder, without further explanation.

Schulte said his behavior was never sexual in nature. She briefly posted a warning on Craigslist, and she said five women wrote to her, saying they had nearly been taken in by the scam.

Some suggested that it might be an "adult baby" or "diaper-lover" fetish. Often, people with such fetishes want to be treated as babies and talk in barely audible voices, as the man did.
Advice on fraud

Ross Wolf, a criminal justice professor at the University of Central Florida, said the man obtained services fraudulently, but he paid for them.

"It's the opposite of what fraud statutes are set up to criminalize," he said. The laws seek to prosecute people who get money, goods or services with deception and don't reciprocate fairly.

"There is not a law for everything that we might consider improper or criminal in nature," Wolf said. "I think it's unfortunate that things like this happen to people where we don't have legislation, but we do have an imperfect system of justice, and it's constantly under revision."

Schulte can go the civil suit route, Wolf said, especially because she didn't get her full pay. And Melbourne police have reopened the case, investigating whether the man used another person's credit card illegally when he paid Schulte.

But neither would likely get Schulte what she wants: a conviction and jail time for the man she says took advantage of her in a humiliating way.

"This is not going to stop unless somebody really does something about this," she said.

Source

ThomasJB's photo
Mon 08/10/09 03:41 PM
DID YOU HEAR THAT EVERYONE???!!! DRINKS ARE ON THE HOUSE TONIGHT!!!!

ThomasJB's photo
Mon 08/10/09 02:30 PM
Yeah, I stole your cookie and ate, but I hired three of the best cooks to make you so more . . .

ThomasJB's photo
Mon 08/10/09 11:53 AM
For my DW:

ThomasJB's photo
Mon 08/10/09 10:34 AM

Lord Anubis demands that you relinquish this thread to him!

ThomasJB's photo
Mon 08/10/09 10:20 AM

ThomasJB's photo
Mon 08/10/09 10:15 AM

Are you sure you wanted to steal his cookie?

ThomasJB's photo
Mon 08/10/09 10:12 AM

Hey (((Everybody))) Miss you all!!!! flowerforyou flowers

Good job D. You leave and the board practically dies. grumble laugh

I didn't know I was the string holding it all together!!! j/k laugh laugh

But....I'm determined to keep this one alive too, Smartypants!!! And with that attitude, I'll meet YOU in the corner with a hickory switch!!!! :tongue: laugh :wink:

shocked Do you promise! :laughing:

ThomasJB's photo
Mon 08/10/09 10:10 AM
Edited by ThomasJB on Mon 08/10/09 10:11 AM

For Thomas :heart: :

Thanks Baby!

ThomasJB's photo
Mon 08/10/09 10:04 AM

Hey (((Everybody))) Miss you all!!!! flowerforyou flowers

Good job D. You leave and the board practically dies. grumble laugh

ThomasJB's photo
Mon 08/10/09 10:01 AM
Percentage table:

0% to 59% F
60% to 69% D
70* to 79% C
80% to 89% B
90% to 100% A

Here is what we will give percentages to.

1. What percentage will you give the moderators efforts and work they contribute to this site? Are they helpful, do they address problems correctly, are they fair? Don't worry if you give a bad percentage! I don't think they will kick you off the site if you do? At least I hope not!

90% I think the moderator generally do a good job. I have on a few occasions felt them to be a little heavy handed.

2. What percentage will you give the overall experience on the forums? Your personal overall experience when using this site concerning finding friendship or even a date.

90% The forums are what makes this site worth using. I really enjoy them. I think a few more topics would be nice. Is there really a need for every state to have it's own? And how many countries still have an individual topic that have never had a post?

3. What percentage will you give the overall layout of Mingle2? Do you like the colors of the site. Orange and Black? Would you rather have a different layout?

75% Though I've gotten used to it, orange and black would not be my first choice for a color scheme.

4. What percentage will you give the overall functions of Mingle2? Are you satisfied with all the functions this site offers? Would you like additional functions? Explain what you don't like?

75% The forums are great and the only reason I continue to use the site. I have found mutual match to be next to worthless though imo.

After you have done this, give a overall percentage of Mingle2.

Average percentage based the above four.
82.5%

1 3 5 6 7 8 9 24 25