Community > Posts By > RickB1966

RickB1966's photo
Mon 06/08/09 04:44 AM

The Bible is the Word of God as given through the Holy Spirit to the writers.

actually the bible is the work of a king that used the bible to enforce his laws. a lot easier to enforce laws when you put the fear of "god" behind them

When compared to other ancient texts. It has remained remarkably consistent even with the various translations over the years.

During the Middle Ages, the Bible was kept from people and was only for the priests to read. That lead to massive corruption in the church which was State run. Thanks to the invention of the printing press and the various Reformation movements. The Bible was placed in the language of the people and made readily available.

Even today, people are still translating the Bible into every language and tonge in the world. You'd be surprised how many people groups in the world haven't even SEEN a Bible much less read one. Its sad.

Rick

RickB1966's photo
Mon 06/08/09 04:29 AM

Currently reading Jesus Interrupted by Bart Ehrman.
Discusses contradictions in the New Testament, who actually wrote the books of the NT.
I have listened to his interviews on NPR. He is an interesting author.
I also picked up his other book God's Problem, about human suffering.

He is a professor at the University Of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.

http://religion.unc.edu/faculty/Ehrman1.html

http://religion.unc.edu/faculty/BartDEhrman/BartCV.htm

I highly recommend Josh McDowell's book. More Than a Carpenter and Lee Stroebel's book. The title escapes me at the moment. Lee's books especially addresses much of what you're reading now.

Rick

RickB1966's photo
Mon 06/08/09 04:20 AM

I was in school chorus for 8 years, and I enjoyed that, but its every church ive ever been in, the lyrics dont speak to me, the music to me is always lame.. drives me nuts. I just cant get into it.

I can certainly understand where you're coming from. When you have most of the people on the platform leading the worship music as volunteers, sometimes the music can be less than professional. My church is fortunate enough to have some professional musicians volunteering their time so that helps out with the others who are less experienced.

We have two worship services. The early one at 8:30 AM and the second one at 11 AM. The first service is a bit more laid back largely because its the 50 and over crowd. The second service is more upbeat and in the gym for the under 50 crowd.

Rick

RickB1966's photo
Sun 06/07/09 02:08 PM
Hi Liz!

Just checking in to see what's going on.

Rick

RickB1966's photo
Sun 06/07/09 01:50 PM
Edited by RickB1966 on Sun 06/07/09 01:54 PM
Bottom half

My first one may have been too tough. :-)

RickB1966's photo
Sun 06/07/09 01:45 PM
Edited by RickB1966 on Sun 06/07/09 01:46 PM
The Bible is the Word of God as given through the Holy Spirit to the writers.

The Old Testament as we have it today was organized and compiled by Ezra the Priest after the Babylonian Captivity when the Jews returned to Jerusalem to rebuild their Temple.

Moses was given the Law on Mt. Sinai by God Himself.

What we have as our New Testament wasn't really compiled into its present form until the 3rd or 4th centuries, A. D.

The Apostle Paul wrote a good portion of the New Testament in the form of letters to various churches and individuals. These were passed around from church to church to be read. Much of our foundational Truths come from Paul's writings as directed by Jesus.

That's about it in a nutshell.

Rick

RickB1966's photo
Sun 06/07/09 01:23 PM
I lift and carry paint buckets for living. :-)

Whether you're slim or overweight, its a genetic thing. If weight runs in your family tree, then chances are good you're going to have a few extra pounds.

Sometimes we tend to be too concerned about appearances and not enough on a person's character.

Just my 2 cents. :-)

Rick

RickB1966's photo
Sun 06/07/09 01:13 PM
Oooooh! I tried to stand up from the seated position. Now I feel more like 62 rather than 42. Whew!

Rick
As he sits back down at his computer to rest.

RickB1966's photo
Sun 06/07/09 01:07 PM
[

alrighty then wine is better with age, women are fine, and antiques are old

I;ll go along with that. :-)

Rick

RickB1966's photo
Sun 06/07/09 01:04 PM
awake

RickB1966's photo
Sun 06/07/09 12:40 PM
Hi everyone!

I felt like starting a new thread of a word game. This one is similar to Chain Reaction.

The Object of this game is to follow one word with another that connects or at least makes some sense.

Let's see how long we can keep this one running! :-)

Rick
PS Thought I would start a new one so I won't feel quite so bad when I mess up. LOL

--------------------------------

The first word of the chain is.....

Apple

RickB1966's photo
Sun 06/07/09 12:09 PM
When I good idea hits me, I'll update my profile. :-)

I'll change my periodically.

Rick

RickB1966's photo
Sun 06/07/09 12:02 PM
Personally I have no problems with people that work out at the gym. The problem I have is when they let you know that they do work out.

The type of job I have keeps me fairly trim, but I'm definitely not Mr. Muscles. :-)

Rick

RickB1966's photo
Fri 06/05/09 05:19 PM

Yeah, the 18 y/o's are something else, only a 40-year age difference, good grief. "Always wanted to have a relationship with an older woman." frustrated frustrated frustrated

I agree. That is very creepy. Yikes! :-)

Rick

RickB1966's photo
Fri 06/05/09 05:15 PM
One time I was corresponding with what I thought was a decent and normal Christian lady about 5 yrs older than me. She was fine until something came up that she went nuts on me. I never communicated much with her after that. Thankfully we never met in person. I think she had the "hots" for this one Christian guy that was homeless.

Very strange.

When I do find somebody interesting, as soon as they find out about my disability, they no longer send me e-mails.

Oh well. :-)

Rick

RickB1966's photo
Fri 06/05/09 05:02 PM
Wow! I never get anything exciting like that in my Inbox. On the other hand, maybe that's a good thing. :-)

Rick

RickB1966's photo
Fri 06/05/09 04:55 PM
Hi there!

Welcome to the site! Hope you'll have lots of fun here. :-)

Rick

RickB1966's photo
Fri 06/05/09 04:37 PM
Edited by RickB1966 on Fri 06/05/09 04:38 PM
drinking

RickB1966's photo
Fri 06/05/09 09:25 AM
About 19 more pages to go. :-)

Rick

RickB1966's photo
Fri 06/05/09 09:23 AM
Xao Vot City, Vietnam :-)