Community > Posts By > Desmant

Desmant's photo
Thu 12/25/08 07:22 AM
Edited by Desmant on Thu 12/25/08 07:25 AM

What I don't understand, and maybe this is just me, is why it is so important to the "christians" that every person on the face of this effin planet must conform to their beliefs. Why is it that when someone says "I do give a flying cr@p about Christmas" do all Christians everywhere become offended?

I mean first of all, by all best estimates Christ was born in April. So this isn't a real holiday to begin with. The origins of the ancient Christmas traditions were an attempt by the church to draw in pagan soltice worshipers (so they could get bigger collection plates probably, not anything so nobel as saving a soul). The modern Christmas, at least in America where we spurned Christmas as an English holiday in the 1700's, was invented by the Hall's who started putting out cards in the 1800's.

So I don't want to get all caught up in your buying spree and your fake goodwill (both of which will be a thing of the past in a week). If I want to celebrate this worthless holiday, I will. If I don't, I don't need you and your kind pushing it down my throat. Take you Santas, your mangers, your trees and throw them on the fire for all I care, the only redeeming thing about this whole holiday is the lights, and I've never figured out why that isn't done all year, everyone always enjoys seeing them.

There is no Santa Claus, and Bah Humbug

There is no Santa Claus because the real life Saint Nicholas died in 346.

He was just a saint, who like most saints in early Christianity was raised high and pretty much almost worshiped. Santa is merely the legacy of the legends inspired by this man.

Desmant's photo
Thu 12/25/08 07:13 AM
Edited by Desmant on Thu 12/25/08 07:15 AM
Such behavior annoys me. Blatantly disrespectful towards people on such a day. Arrogant atheist are often just as bad as the most fanatical of religious types.

However I do not believe that people cannot be good without God. Humans themselves are perfectly capable of kindness. What was your professor basing this theory on? The relatively short time that major Judeo-Christian societies have been around apposed to others? A relatively short time which nonetheless has been filled with bloodshed, murder, persecution, and war mongering up to modern day, often at the order of the Church?

While religion often effects how people treat others (Either good or ill), it's absence does not suddenly turn everybody into raving lunatics (Some atheist are just really arrogant assholes). There are plenty other countries and civilizations out there who have their own religions and traditions, that function perfectly fine and have many good people.

In short. While I disagree with the behavior of the likes of the Humanist Association during this time of year, I also disagree with the thought that humans can't be at all good without God. Such thinking belittles ourselves and the grand capabilities and accomplishments of our species.

Desmant's photo
Tue 12/23/08 08:28 PM
I'm pretty much the opposite. But I tend not to have sex with somebody unless I already have at least some feelings for.

Desmant's photo
Tue 12/23/08 07:53 PM
Chayanne

Desmant's photo
Tue 12/23/08 07:48 PM
What... What is that thing?

Desmant's photo
Tue 12/23/08 07:34 PM
Considering the varied ranges of effects that venom has from say a tarantula bite to that of the Brown recluse, I would say that yes, there is a varied enough chemical mixture ot make enough of a difference when it comes to allergies.

However I do agree with you that the whole allergic thing for the black widow spider is more than likely a myth. Though it's hard to be sure, there are weirder things in nature.

Desmant's photo
Tue 12/23/08 07:15 PM

About why nobody is allergic reactions from other spiders, it is because different spiders have different venoms. Same reason why not all antidotes work on all snakes bites. Different chemical reactions working.

Yes, but if the "allergic reaction" myth is true, other spider venoms should likewise cause allergic reactions. Each spider venom is different, but it's all still spider venom.

Personally, I think the allergic reaction line is garbage. It is in vogue in society today to categorize anything that makes a person sick as attributable to allergic reaction.

Get sick from cigarette smoke? Well then, it must be an allergic reaction. Never mind that cigarette smoke is comprised of thousands of harmful chemicals.what

Um no.. An allergic reaction is merely your body having a negative reaction to certain things.. The reasons different venom is considered.. Well different is that they are made of different things. If people are having allergic reactions to one type of venom over another, it means that there is something in that black widow venom not found in other types.

Similar how one person can be allergic to a certain type of fruit, but not all types.

Desmant's photo
Tue 12/23/08 07:07 PM
Edited by Desmant on Tue 12/23/08 07:13 PM
About why not everybody body is having allergic reactions from other spiders, it is because different spiders have different venom. Same reason why not all antidotes work on all snakes bites. Different chemical reactions working.

Desmant's photo
Tue 12/23/08 06:24 PM
Doesn't bother me.

Desmant's photo
Tue 12/23/08 06:20 PM
The elements.

Desmant's photo
Tue 12/23/08 06:18 PM
Eh... so and so.

Desmant's photo
Tue 12/23/08 06:18 PM
Probably not unless it was unsanitary.

Desmant's photo
Sun 12/21/08 01:23 PM
Welcome and hope you feel better.

Desmant's photo
Sun 12/21/08 01:17 PM
Science has not even come close to reaching it's limit. Scientist are still finding things out about the world around us. Some of the things they've are weird and hard to define. Things so small, smaller than atoms that they cannot be defined so they give them names like Flavor and Beauty.

Hell in our life time they built the LHSC. Science marches on.

Look back over the past few years and you can see that science keeps progressing and refining itself.

Desmant's photo
Sun 12/21/08 12:59 PM
Greetings.

2 Next