Community > Posts By > joondalup

joondalup's photo
Sun 06/15/14 05:41 PM
"My old laptop screen died so I have new laptop with windows 8. I want to print from my laptop via the home pc to the printer. Have tried google but it always seems to come back to installing drivers. Don't want to install something that would compromise my laptop. Any advice?"

OK firstly there is nothing wrong with the windows 8 operating system.
Secondly you appear to want to print via your home PC. Nobody has appeared to have seen that bit yet.
You will have to connect the printer to the home PC first and install all the relevant drivers. Next you will have to share the printer on your network. If you are using Windows 7 onward at the home PC then homegroups is a good way to go.
From the laptop you must search for connected shared printers. The drivers should install automatically.
Further to this you can set up cloud printing from Google Chrome on the home PC. This will enable you to attach to the printer from anywhere via remote access. Google the method. It really works well.
Personally I would not install any software that will auto look for drivers. Likely you will get sucked into a scam.
Best of luck