Community > Posts By > migone973

migone973's photo
Thu 10/16/08 10:21 PM
Edited by migone973 on Thu 10/16/08 10:22 PM

Nod32 is what I use.....wins for me hands down.

She'll need to take it to a professional to format. She's already said she's not tech savvy. Why spend countless hours frustrating yourself if your going to have to take it to someone in the end?

The problem with this is that most so-called professionals are happy to wipe your machine and then reformat and reload the O/S without actually backing up your content first. So sure, drop it in but either make sure you have it backed up or get them to do it!

I agree talldub. We cannot assume someone is on the same page as you.

migone973's photo
Thu 10/16/08 08:16 AM
Edited by migone973 on Thu 10/16/08 08:17 AM
I completely agree, Heather.

migone973's photo
Wed 10/15/08 11:26 PM
www.watch-movies.net for movies
www.joost.com
flickpeek.com

migone973's photo
Wed 10/15/08 11:14 PM
9 out of the 10 people I've spoken to about this have been so dissatisfied with the Geek squad. I started my small business out here in socal for the purpose of helping the homeowner that cannot help themselves. And purposely did the research to make sure I was charging less for more.
Also, I might add, backup,backup, backup. I've had way too many dead hard drives come to me that would not mount or spin up at all. Data recovery can cost you a minimum of $600 and it's not totally guaranteed.
:)

migone973's photo
Wed 10/15/08 11:08 PM
Sometimes it's comical just reading some of these posts. I'm no expert, nut I wonder how many of these people actually work on computers for a living. :) I've read in the past that in order to make a windows machine work well, about every two to three years you should back up your data and format the hard drive. Then reinstall the os, applications, and your data. I have been supporting mac, windows and linux for the last 8 years and there is nothing like a clean install of windows. Even better than the day it came from the manufacturer.

With the way The registry, system folder and other components need to work together...after time, there is no real quick fix.

Anyhow. This of course is my experience, others I'm sure will be quick to disagree.

Also, Clamwin is an opensource antivirus app. we've been using. If you absolutely have the need to pay for one, nod32 and spyhunter have worked well in my recent past.

Norton and Mcafee are system hogs and will bog down your system.

migone973's photo
Wed 10/15/08 10:55 PM
We have been using Fedora for the last few years in my School district. One thing I love about my MacBook is that I can tri-boot it with a program called refit. Mac, Linux, or Windoze :)

migone973's photo
Sun 10/05/08 08:53 PM
Thanks! Never thought about that.

migone973's photo
Sat 10/04/08 07:27 AM
yeah, that is quite the drive. If you're ever in the neighborhood....

Just kidding. Thanks for the post!

migone973's photo
Tue 09/30/08 08:33 PM
Love to start a community for tennis lovers that could setup and schedule to actually get up out of the computer chair and go play.:)
Any takers?

I'm in. (that's a given)