Community > Posts By > Jetterama

Jetterama's photo
Fri 09/19/08 02:19 PM

Michigan sucks???
Hummm...
Well... I'll add my 2 cents and ask,"What part of Michigan sucks to you?"

As for this reader/writer, I think Michigan is a beautiful state. Rolling hills... wonderful National forest and parks...lots of inland lakes... not to mention the really nice beaches along the Great Lakes shoreline.

HOWEVER...
After growing up in this state, then moving out of state in the early 80's because the economy went into the tank.(I went to Texas), and returning about 5 years ago. It is my experience that the people of Michigan are not nearly as open minded and friendly as the people in the southern US. Most people in Michigan tend to be just downright "New York City" rude, condesending, and dismissive of others.
Detroit city is, as one CNN news reporter recently put it,"worse than downtown Baghdad" and has been put on the 2008 list of THE WORST place in the US to live. Flint was a close 2nd to St.Louis, but ended up the 3rd worst.
After living in a large southern city for 20 years, I see the potential that Detroit has as it's in a wonderful location.
But locations do not make great places to live. Buildings don't make a great city. The PEOPLE make a city great!
So what doesn't that say about the city of Detroit and Flint?

I was just at a Tigers game on Father's Day. All in all,I felt safe downtown. But I have say that I was not comfortable with the way I was treated by one of the venders who appeared to be nothing less than racist! The idiot didn't want to serve me and my son two freakin hotdogs...I assume because we were "white"...said they weren't ready...I could clearly see 15-20 behind the glass on the grill in front of me that were indeed done and sizzling away... walked away and watched as "one of the brothers" walked up and purchased 4 hotdogs and two soft drinks. The letter to the Detroit Tigers Organization is in the works.
Note:[ Want to get attention? Put it writing in a formal business letter! Phone calls get dismissed and ignored. But if you put it on paper and address it to the 'HGIC' head guy in charge... it gets attention! HaHa!]

You can't blame the government as WE THE PEOPLE are the government. If you don't vote, you have no right to complain. If you don't like the freakin' government... CHANGE IT!
We all understand that BIG MONEY runs this country. Mark my words on this page. The US is about to go through some real changes and it won't be all pretty. People are tired of getting screwed by credit card companies, by mortgage lenders, and by their "big business" employers. They are tired of white collar crime and they have just about had enough of the thugs on the streets. I doubt I'll be around to see it all changes as it's not going to happen overnight.

Maybe we should treat Michigan like a dirty fish bowl... Just dump it all out and start fresh.

So in my opinion,

Michigan doesn't really suck.

The PEOPLE of Michigan suck!

<§ix§tring§ jumps off the soap box>

I say bravo to this. Although there are always exceptions to the ultimate question here (is it Michigan or the people?), but it is definitely dependent on the perspective. I have lived out of the US through the military for close to 4 years, so I am not rambling unsubstantiated. I would say a lot of things are a matter of perspective.

Every place has its good and bad. But saying that Detroit is like downtown Bagdad... I know this is just an expression, but I would say from being there and in areas just as bad that this expression is over the top. Like we need to some contest to see who has had life the worst. There is always someone with a bigger fish story.

I have found that it is becoming human nature for people to complain. Heck, listen to me, I am blogging in response. People complain about people complaining to much. Life isn't that bad, Detroit is certainly no cake walk, this I am sure of, but at least there is opportunity, the glass isn't always have empty. People make life what it is, just like this guy said, Michigan doesn't suck, its the people. I don't really have anything to revolutionary to say, I guess that is my little out take on this topic.