PreferredParticipant's photo
Wed 08/20/08 11:29 AM

french and spanish are very similar.........

german is an entirely different language

try some high german and low german....noway

French and spanish are both romance languages,which is why there is so much similarity. German is a germanic language. Romance languages are very flowery and descriptive because each word within a sentence changes more freely to describe itself than in germanic languages. Germanic words are shorter, harsher words. One interesting fact about german tho, if anyone doesn't like the way it sounds: In older german generations, (newer generations don't care as much), while speaking the tongue never goes past the tip of the teeth. (There is no "T" sound as in "The")This is because it was considered rude to show your tongue when speaking.

Wed 08/20/08 12:27 AM
I think I'll take that comment to sleep. :) *looks for the blush smiley*

Wed 08/20/08 12:21 AM
What's up? Just following what I'm told to do by the forum and getting my profile rated/critiqued. Tell me what you think. Feel free to ask questions or give me the ability to make my profile awsome.

THANKS!

Wed 08/20/08 12:16 AM
I'm new and it's almost time for bed. Say hi to me and check out my profile and posts!

Wed 08/20/08 12:02 AM
Languages have never been super hard for me, although I only speak english I am pretty good at linguistics. However I am still amazed by my dad's fiance Trina. She is fluent in French, Portugese, Spanish and English. I asked her the same questions once and she said that honestly she feels like its a waste of space in her brain to have all those in there lol. Guess when you have them...

Tue 08/19/08 11:48 PM
So....

New to the site, starting to navigate around - have to say I like the set-up. I wanted to start a discussion on here, so here goes.

I just have some questions about languages and I'm curious as to what responses will be like.

If you could learn any language, which would you choose?

Why would you choose that language? (maybe the utility of it, maybe you like how it sounds, idk lol)

Do you have any favorite foreign languages or does anyone speak more than one language?

I'm currently studying Latin, which should give me a great base for romance languages and medical terminology. I did several years of german in high school, but can listen or read better than speak. I think I will continue with latin for now, although if I could speak any fluently, it would be German. Mainly because my dad speaks german fluently and I would understand more when I travel there with him!

Tue 08/19/08 11:30 PM
When I was in Colorado going to campus for studies still I had a course on English Compostion. The instructor spoke heavily on how it is important to interact with the text you are reading. Although he was speaking of formal reading, I think that the idea can still apply to online and forum.

Tue 08/19/08 11:07 PM
Edited by PreferredParticipant on Tue 08/19/08 11:09 PM
Hey everyone.

I just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Josh, I am originally from Colorado. I served 4 years in the Army including a tour in Iraq at 19, I fulfilled my military obligation in the summer of 2007 and am currently studying online at CU Denver for a Doctrate in dental surgery. I have many interesting stories to tell and topics to discuss. I'm hoping to meet some interesting, enjoyable people with their own ideas but a positive and open minded attitude!

2 Next