Community > Posts By > RobSwindol

no photo
Tue 08/12/08 03:48 AM
Is it just me, or do most of the items target womem?

no photo
Tue 08/12/08 03:40 AM
I agree with some of that post, but certainly not all of it. It was a nice story though.

I moved to Boston for about 8 years and while I was there I was commonly asked a single question that strangely enough, everyone asked the same. That question was "So you're from Mississippi? Are your Mother and Father related?"

I would just answer in return..."Of course they are related. They are Husband and Wife".

It never failed that when I said this, the person would realize the mistake they made in asking their question and then would turn red and drop the subject.

Sure, people who have never been to the south have their stereotypes, just as people from the south have stereotype about California, New York, and other places they may have never been.

As far as the South being the birthplace of Blues, Jazz, and Rock and Roll, I would question the Jazz part. I think Harlem, NY, with great early jazz musicians like Jelly Roll Norton did more for Jazz than the south ever did.

My South is a place where anything and everything is deep fried, causing it to have the highest obesity rate in America.

My South is a place where I can't go a single day without hearing something racist being uttered.

My South is a place of closed minded people who dislike change.

My South is over run with low self esteems and single teenage mothers.

My South statistically has the highest high school drop-out rate in the nation...who needs school anyway?

MY SOUTH!
Not all of the stereotypes are inaccurate.