Community > Posts By > Redykeulous

Redykeulous's photo
Wed 01/25/12 07:21 PM

..glad they understood the question.

Cause I've not a clue what you're asking.

this is for samrt people which they can read between lines

you have to use your (muscles )sory mean mind to reach the meaning

samrt people huh?

Dude.

How are you going to try and make me feel dumb when a 5 year old has better grammar?

"This is for smart people that can read between the lines."
"You have to use your muscles, sorry, I mean mind, to reach the meaning."

There. That makes a heck of a lot more sense...

There are any number of reasons why one person is not as skilled in something as another. The challenge is reaching beyond whatever level of skill you think you have to find the value in what others have to offer.

Otherwise all your skill can only be utilized laterally and you become limited for you can never be humbled or never be awed by those above and below your self-perceived skill-level.

Just something to think about.

Redykeulous's photo
Wed 01/25/12 08:37 AM
Edited by Redykeulous on Wed 01/25/12 08:39 AM

So whats the materialism disorder? What are some of the characteristics?

Edit:

Ahhh man, for you guys out there actually interested in this stuff, this link is pretty good!

http://www.infidels.org/library/modern/richard_vitzthum/materialism.html

Further edit:
Reading a bit on Buechner's Force and Matter. Good stuff!

Further further Edit:
Clearly I am a reductive materialist.

WHOO HOO - it only took (how many pages) for someone to bring enough claity and 'reduction' to the topic to acturally discuss - Bushidobillyclub said:
Clearly I am a reductive materialist

Now let's see what others can do with that statement. :wink:

edited to add the second end quote bracket.

Redykeulous's photo
Tue 01/24/12 12:18 AM
Boy, Fox is loosing its touch. They forgot to add that the part about the Talibans urinating on the dead soldiers.

Some would would probably cheer - they did when our soldiers did it.

Redykeulous's photo
Tue 01/24/12 12:15 AM
It strikes me as ironic that some STILL take Fox news as responsible and accurate reporting, while so many others are on the street trying to save the liberties and freedoms that afford some the luxury of believing in the likes of Fox news.

Have another beer and leave the thinking to those with enough cognitive power to understand the reality of a much bigger picture than Fox presents to its obivious audience.

Redykeulous's photo
Tue 01/24/12 12:01 AM

Bushidobillyclub,

In your materialistic view of reality where does consciousness fit in? When did it arrive?

Case in point. By referring to Bushido...s "materialistic view" what exactly are you referring to? Is that a term to which you have applied your own definition? If not there are several ways in which the term is used, many of which are philosophical.

I offerd some of the philosophical options, it's up to you to review them, choose one and explain what it is about the person that has led you to so label him or her.

Redykeulous's photo
Mon 01/23/12 11:54 PM

This thread is in response to a thread by Red that did exactly what you are suggesting that materialists don't do. Materialists DON'T leave it alone when they are suggesting that Religious fundamentalism might be a disorder.

Clearly there is a misconception about the word materialism. The word has many meanings and philosophically the word is relavent to naturalism, eliminative materialism and reductive materialism.

You would also find that various ideas of materialism are debated in conjunction with idealism and dualism.

To say that one is a materialist leaves the door open for any number of possibilities.

If you are going to label someone, at least have the decency of understanding the label and applying it aptly. :wink:

It also makes for better discussion if the topic is understood by the OP who started it.

If the term "materialism" has so many different meanings, then perhaps you will let people know which one you are using.

Silly wabbit (trix are for kids)

You started the thead, you brought up materiaism and referred to "some people" as materialists. It is, however, completely unclear by your posts what you are referring to by the term.

I offered options from which you can gain a better perspective of what you were trying to 'point to' in the first place, of which I have no clue. In what philosophical reference were you using the term materialist?

Redykeulous's photo
Mon 01/23/12 07:04 PM

This thread is in response to a thread by Red that did exactly what you are suggesting that materialists don't do. Materialists DON'T leave it alone when they are suggesting that Religious fundamentalism might be a disorder.

Clearly there is a misconception about the word materialism. The word has many meanings and philosophically the word is relavent to naturalism, eliminative materialism and reductive materialism.

You would also find that various ideas of materialism are debated in conjunction with idealism and dualism.

To say that one is a materialist leaves the door open for any number of possibilities.

If you are going to label someone, at least have the decency of understanding the label and applying it aptly. :wink:

It also makes for better discussion if the topic is understood by the OP who started it.

Redykeulous's photo
Mon 01/23/12 06:46 PM

I spend a lot of time thinking about the year 2058. I was asked why and this was my response:

I think about 2058 because at one time I was pretty certain I was going to live until age . I’d be 68 in 2058. I still wonder if I’ll see the year 2058 and if I am alive will I be free of dementia to really know what’s going on?

Or will I see 2058 as someone else if there is such a thing as reincarnation?

Will the earth still be around? Or will it have been sucked into the vortex of a solar flare (since there is a hole the size of Texas now in the earth’s electro-magnetic field we may not have the same level of protection from solar flares – the really big ones that happen every 26,000 years…

If the earth IS still around, will it be inhabitable?

And I get really excited when I think of the technological advances that are possible over the next few decades. Look where we’ve come just over the last 100 years. Will we actually have microchips in every human? Will we have nano-cameras that can be released within the body to help diagnose disease? Will RFID chips be commonplace? National ID cards? Will there be flying vehicles by then? Or at least the first prototypes available to the public? Will we be able to order new body parts like hearts, lungs, discs, joints, etc. as if we were ordering replacement parts for our vehicles? In other words, will we finally figure out how to overcome the rejection process that so many people go through after an organ transplant? Should we? Just because we can do certain things, doesn’t mean we should…. where will stem cell research be? Cloning?

When we look back will we think about the iPod, the iPhone, and the iPad with the same nostalgia as my grandparents cherished their Victrola phonograph?

Will nursing homes be blasting techno and rap music instead of big band or instrumentals?

And on and on … but you see where my mind goes and why I don’t sleep at night

I have a remedy for sleepless nights - go to college learn to use those sleepless nights for research, I promise you will. And when you learn how to do the research, you can stay awake all night and try to answer all the questions you can think of.

Good luck oh, and if you ever make yourself a time capsule - remember where you put it. It really makes me mad that I lost mine. I have no doubt I would have gotten a kick out of the silly things I was concerned about when I was your age - whatever age that is, it's not quite clear from your post!

Redykeulous's photo
Mon 01/23/12 06:37 PM

http://richarddawkins.net/articles/612104-dealing-with-william-lane-craig

Dealing with William Lane Craig

By LAWRENCE KRAUSS - RD.NET
Added: Tuesday, 05 April 2011 at 11:01 AM - An RDFRS Original

I always appreciate the good articles Bushido, thanks for sharing.

Redykeulous's photo
Sun 01/22/12 09:43 PM

I agree with the possibility of harmful effects upon civil liberties and/or society at large. History and knowledge confirm that this is the case many times over. I'm not too sure of the psychological link, although I do not think that there can be any doubt regarding the negative effects of teching children at an early age to think illogically.

Have you ever read Bertrand Russell's book "Why I'm Not a Christian"? If not, I strongly suggest that you do. His description(s) of religious faith offer(s) your position very strong philosophical ground. If you'd like, I'm almost certain that I still have a copy on hand and could put forth a few examples after a moment or two of brisking through the book. Although, it'll probably be tomorrow morning, my time.

Just say the word, and I'd be happy to oblige.

:wink:

Oh my goodness, I had forgotten Bertrnd Russell's book. I have it somewhere. I had not read it yet so I know I kept it when I moved but I'm in such a small place for a short time and catching up on my 'preferred' reading didn't take priority over school. Darn, now it'll drive me crazy - oh well.

Please feel free to post any examples you have. I really like Bertrand Russell. I would like to have met him.

Redykeulous's photo
Sat 01/21/12 09:21 PM
Edited by Redykeulous on Sat 01/21/12 09:22 PM

You took the time to develope the case very well, unfortunately the only way it could develope was outside the rather narrow visual scope of some and completely out of range of cognitive rationality in some cases as well.

If you persist in calling people stupid (which is what you're doing underneath it all), there are going to be consequences.

Just kidding, I'm not going to report you for this. I know this whole thread was meant to provoke Christians to anger. (It's also offensive to parents of developmentally disabled children for some unknown reason. Did the parents of some autistic kids hurt your feelings in some way?) I guess you just got lucky and got a double shot in at me. I hope that in the future you'll find a better outlet for your anger than randomly insulting defenseless children (and their innocent parents) with this kind of garbage.

Also, "develop" only has two "e"s.

I edited to add the e in order to give you something to complain about. I'm such a people pleaser.

Redykeulous's photo
Sat 01/21/12 09:16 PM

Considering that energy and everything else apparently emerged from out of nothing, do you think the idea of materialism (upward causation) should be considered a disorder?

Considering that energy and everything else apparently emerged from out of nothing,

Why have you differentiated ‘energy’ from ‘everything else’? What are you including in ‘everything else’ and are you making a claim or asserting a belief?

do you think the idea of materialism (upward causation) should be considered a disorder?

Can you explain how the second quote is related to the first one in order to clarify the question that seems to be related to the topic of your thread?

Redykeulous's photo
Sat 01/21/12 06:40 PM

personally, I was recently diagnosed with ADOS - Attention Deficit Oh Sparkly but a programmer friend. Also known as Golder Retriever Syndrome. Also known as cat with a tin foil ball complex.

I am bipolar too. LOL.

I hope that's why you are a teadipper, because bipolar and alchohol are a really bad combination. :wink:

No matter what label anyone assigns to you, don't believe in stereotypes, I just think that's the best way to proceed.

Redykeulous's photo
Sat 01/21/12 06:34 PM
Edited by Redykeulous on Sat 01/21/12 06:41 PM

I rest my case.

bigsmile

Hi Creative,

You took the time to develope the case very well, unfortunately the only way it could develope was outside the rather narrow visual scope of some and completely out of range of cognitive rationality in some cases as well.

I have reconsidered my first thought about RF disorder being a psychological one rather, RF is better placed in the realm of 'social' psychology as it tends to affect social and civil society in more extensive and harmful ways than an individual psychosis.

What do you think?

Redykeulous's photo
Fri 01/20/12 07:51 PM
http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/video/2007/dec/09/video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=1hFW_z75IRo

... The above videos are about the unfathomable human abuses, even to toddlers, that have developed in Africa due to the direct affiliation with and influence from the religious bigotry that is passed on to cultures who have little understanding of the history of Western civilization or little to no education regarding the modern world.

In other parts of Africa, Western evangelical missionaries who left their own countries as defeated soldiers in their anti-gay war, have taken their religious extremism as propaganda to the political arena of governments who are struggling between values of human rights and religious moral code that was left to them from the Western colonialism of 100 year ago.

The behaviors noted are ATROCITIES and they are not, strictly speaking, totally the fault of those perpetrating physical harm and mental abuse, for such things have been taught to these people as part of a religion.

Over one hundred years since Western colonialism in Africa and this is what has progressed through religious extremism originally developed by governments to rally support for the colonization effort.

One piece of propaganda certainly took hold and it seems obvious that the "White man's burden" is still a dominating force in the call of the evangelical missionaries to Africa.
Bringing Western religious extremism with its Western bigotry into theologically colonized third world communities and countries seems to make those who cannot force their religious morals into the laws of modern thinking countries feel like they are accomplishing their (un)godly mission after all.

What most of those evangelical missionaries have done should be considered a crime no less worthy of the world’s distain than the crimes of Hitler and Stalin, or more currently the Sudanese government & Sudanese President Omar al-Bashir for allowing ethnic cleansing to continue in Sudan.

In my opinion, every country should put a ban on religious missionary visa's and it should be a crime for any religious person from one country to go to another for the purpose of spreading their gospel to the political elite or social elite of that country.
This is how the ‘disorder’ of ‘Religious Fundamentalism’ spreads throughout the world. This is another reason why it needs to be explored. The suicide bombers are another example of religious extremism.

Check out this link:

http://www.atheistmedia.com/2010/05/sharmeen-obaid-chinoy-inside-school-for.html
WEDNESDAY, MAY 26, 2010
Inside A School For Suicide Bombers | TED2010

And by the way: I do not suggest that missions of mercy be abandoned? Absolutely not, but let those who have a religious conviction leave it behind when they choose to put their merciful altruistic foot forward.

Redykeulous's photo
Thu 01/19/12 07:44 PM

Wow, people are actually taking the OP seriously. Okay, me and my sarcasm seem to have come to the wrong place.

I can't believe I didn't see this the first time.

SARCASM - GOOD! Don't deny me my share and I admit, you will see sarcasm in a good many of my posts as well (sometimes even when I'm serious).

So don't go away, sarcasm has this odd ability to make make people think sometimes.

Redykeulous's photo
Thu 01/19/12 07:39 PM

I would think allowing children to develop without pressures to accept things on faith would be enough. Actually this is pretty common with people who are only moderately religious (the majority in the US).

Education is required by law. This is the government by the poeple saying that it is neglect to not educate your child.

We approve what is proper to teach our children, becuase we want them to have skills which will help them be successful.

This is really no different. It often gets people on the defensive becuase we are taught that religious ideas are off limit to criticism. But when a religious belief that medical science is wrong, or of the devil or what else and you pray instead of getting your child life saving medication . . .

Is raising one's child in a particular religious tradition abusive?

For now, forget all about religion. Suppose that a couple decides to raise their child as sort of a prolonged experiment in child development. Make them a pair of unethical child psychologists if you like. They deliberately teach their child a bunch of nonsense (e.g., incorrect names for all the colors, incorrect terms for basic words, strange magical notions, etc.). They homeschool their child until high school, carefully controlling all the child's interactions and media exposure to make sure that their teachings go unchallenged. They then send their child off to high school and monitor the consequences.

Is this abusive? I suspect most of us would agree that it is. The parents are deliberately providing inaccurate information without correction, setting the child up for what will surely be a devastating trauma.

Time for another example, one which is much more realistic and unfortunately common. A racist couple who belong to the Klan and various other white supremacist groups are firmly committed to raising their child to have similar beliefs. If you've seen any of the documentaries on hate groups on the History Channel or other cable networks, you've seen this. Disturbing images of babies in Klan garb or with little swastikas. Makes you sick, doesn't it? Basically, these parents raise their child from birth to hate everyone who they hate. And yet, when you see their toddler, you recognize that this is not a racist child but a child raised by racist parents.

Is this abusive? I suspect that most of us would agree that it is, however, I'd argue that this case actually goes beyond child abuse. How? In addition to damaging the child, these parents are raising a child who is likely to be a potential threat to the rest of us. If you are going to stand by the "I have the right to raise my child however I see fit" claim, note that this is exactly what these parents typically say.

Now look at the parents who raise their child in a particular religious tradition. Like the first example, they end up teaching their child a bunch of nonsense, ranging from incorrect information about the natural world to magical (i.e., supernatural) rubbish. But like the second example, they do this because they genuinely believe it to be true. Worse, like the second couple, they teach hatred and exclusion. "But Christianity/Islam/Judaism is about love!" How is fostering an us-and-them mentality where children are taught that they are members of a "chosen" group - an island of good surrounded by evil - who must adhere to ancient superstition or risk the hell to which all the nonbelievers are condemned, about love?

Is this abusive? In other words, is raising a child to value irrationality (i.e., faith) over reason and to accept an inherently divisive belief system a form of abuse?

I found the above on another site, and I think the examples offer good reason to acknowledge this isn't a black and white topic. Complete freedom to teach your child anything isn't really anything we should take seriously. Children have rights of there own, and abuse can start with how you shape there world view.

Interesting and thanks for posting it.

Redykeulous's photo
Wed 01/18/12 07:52 PM

...Hence the need for further research and links to pathology. Technology has offered many new modalities in this pursuit.

Makes me wonder what the brains of fundamentalists look like when they are working through a decision that engages those beliefs as it compares with a brain of someone who engages rationally.

Great idea. You know the 'Golinski DOMA trial' transcript was published today and of course I had to read the whole thing.

I would just LOVE to have brain scans of the plaintiffs lawyers to compare them to those of the government lawyers as they argured their points.

I DO BELIEVE there were moments of clarity in the DOMA defense guys which totally disrupted the governments legal defense and had them double talking and back-peddling to save face so badley that I thought --- RF disorder ---- how sad. Well actually I laughed, and THEN I thought "how sad".

Mostly it's sad for those countries who have to deal with politicians whose ability to think rationally and act ethically has been tarnished with --- well, with RF disorder.

Think about it - the beliefs this country has that developed around religious values seem to hindering intelligence. We should be fostering education not industrial skills.

Did you know that the Supreme Court does not consider a Professor of law at Brigham Young University an authority? We aren't expected to know that, but lawyers who defend government law should be - they tried to pass through an article by this professor anyway and got called on it. Of course a stream of excuses and and reasonings came pouring out, and when the Judge said "Oh Ok" and moved on to the next person, I would have LOVED to have had a scan of his brain too, right at that moment. OH OK (yea - sure, mmuh, ok).....

These are just things that make us go "huh, are you kidding me?"
And we would laugh if this were all on reality TV, but we don't laugh because these people are governing us.

That's why I think we really need to study this social disorder I call RF. I'm thinking that most of it is actually developmental particularly given how much of this irrational thought is pushed onto immature brains.

Redykeulous's photo
Tue 01/17/12 08:39 PM

HAhahaha, girl that actually made me laugh. You know you just missed the DSM-X, now you're going to have to wait till the next revision to get it in there. But that's fine, it'll give you time to work on all the psychiatrists you know. I think you definitely have a shot.
:banana:

Why thank you, Bravelady but don't rush things, the DSM-V is not even due out till 2013.

I'm waiting to see if they will finally include a section for psychopathy.

Perhaps when neuroscience and its technology becomes more sophistocated, both RF and paychopathy will have their own category. :wink:

I won't hold my breath.

Redykeulous's photo
Tue 01/17/12 05:23 PM
The science of mind (psychology) is finding evidence that there are links between many disorders, autism, Asperger's and schizophrenia for example.

I contend that it's possible the link between those three may find a connection in the brains of people who suffer from extreme religious fundamentalism. I call it RF disorder and it tends to be subject to early onset, possibly due to persistant requsts from authority figures that a child learn to think illogically.

I think it should be studied. What do you think, is religious fundamentalism a psychological disorder?

EXAMPLE of what I call RF below.

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2012/01/17/402438/santorum-staffer-says-women-shouldnt-be-president-because-its-against-gods-will/
Santorum Staffer Says Women Shouldn’t Be President Because It’s Against God’s Will
By Marie Diamond on Jan 17, 2012 at 9:35 am
In an article about the reasons Rep. Michele Bachmann’s campaign fizzled, the Des Moines Register points to “sexism among conservatives,” singling out an offensive email written by a staffer to Rick Santorum:
Rival presidential candidate Rick Santorum’s Iowa coalitions director, Jamie Johnson, sent out an email saying that children’s lives would be harmed if the nation had a female president. [...]
“The question then comes, ‘Is it God’s highest desire, that is, his biblically expressed will, … to have a woman rule the institutions of the family, the church, and the state?’ ” Johnson’s email said.
Johnson, who remains on Santorum’s staff, complained that the email was “blown out of proportion” and should not be held against him because it was sent from a personal email account.
But he refused to back away from the substance of the email, saying “I was sharing my personal reflections with a friend…[T]hey were reflections on over 25 years of formal, theological study [based in] classical Christian doctrine.”
After Bachmann left the race, several of her advisers pointed to sexism as a contributing factor. “We did believe that sexism — I use the stronger word misogyny — was at play,” said Peter Waldron, her faith outreach coordinator. Waldron said that several influential pastors called for her to drop out of the race, reasoning “that a female could not be a civil magistrate.” Johnson himself is a pastor at a central Iowa church.

1 2 10 11 12 14 16 17 18 24 25