Community > Posts By > Wandbearer

Wandbearer's photo
Sun 04/12/20 02:24 AM
Your federal and state system is fantastic. But my understanding was that the individual states were more like states of Britain until they united under Washington to fend it off. The theory at the time was that a bunch of states competing would be better than a large government made up of all the states; it sort if gives the power to the people that might be usurped by a big government. A federal government didn't have much to do unless there was a war on. Borders were not important for the control of people. Though they could be used for raising money; customs and excise. These days they are used to control the movement of people too; a bit of an afterthought but politically popular for many. But originally, many of the states wanted to shut that federal system down!

Wandbearer's photo
Sun 04/12/20 02:00 AM
A dark gin and a light tonic. And a shady video. You've got it spot on Ladywind.

Wandbearer's photo
Sun 04/12/20 01:51 AM
Flags; the relative height and possibly the position (e.g. centre of three?) do imply importance.

On words; I think that having the "American" bit last in the adjective means it is the wider influence on meaning. Not totally sure it means it is most important. It does feel like it though. The word American doesn't imply race whereas the prefix of, for example, afro or Cuban; that does I think. In Cuba (where being Cuban does not imply a race!) they may have an American Cuban which may still not have a racial implication but probably has a cultural one. So the Ameri-Cuban identifies most as a Cuban but comes with a whole lot of American attributes (e. g. property owning, industrious, commercially minded, inventive, hates queues, tells you all their personal problems). Thoughts?

Wandbearer's photo
Sun 04/12/20 01:02 AM
Good article, very interesting.

Wandbearer's photo
Fri 04/10/20 05:11 PM
This is contemplated a little in Lord of the Rings; the immortal Elves and the mortal Men. It makes one think - what is the value of losing an immortal vs a mortal life? If you're immortal, do you play life with less risk than a mortal?

I would take myself through to about 28 - which is not a bad age for health and fitness. I presume I'd still keep building experience from there and gain wisdom and all that. After a while, like a century or two, imagine the quality of tennis at the tennis club! (With all that experience building; assuming that others get the same opportunity.)

What about procreation? If I was 28 for ever - every now and again I'd probably meet some new lady and go through a baby making episode. Wouldn't that create a huge overpopulation situation with no end in sight?