Community > Posts By > Jerryismyname

Jerryismyname's photo
Sun 06/15/08 04:18 PM

What made you smile today????.......flowerforyou

YOU DID!

Jerryismyname's photo
Thu 06/12/08 09:55 PM
I think that the bible has been very carefully translated, however, as you pointed out a lot DID get lost in translation. The best way to understand what it really MEANT to the people and in the time it was written is to read it with the help of a concordence.

Jerryismyname's photo
Thu 06/12/08 09:50 PM

When people start reading the gospel of Mathew they find themselves with something which could seem to be a long and boring list of names.
However, we need to understand what genealogy means for the Jewish people at the time when this gospel was written. For them their origin it's important to understand who they are, and where they r going.
Some important points that the Jesus' genealogy tells us are:

- He is the descendant of Abraham (father of all nations) and the descendant of David (the greatest king of Israel).
- He is the Christ (Messiah - the annointed one).
- His name is Jesus (the one who is going to save us from our Sin)
- He is also Emmanuel which means God with us.
- The evangelist gives 3 sets of 14 generations. Fourteen holds a special meaning for the Jewish people. It's multiple of 7 which is the perfect number. David it's a jew name which letters sum up 14 (D=4 W=6).

Other than telling us Christ's nature as a prophet, priest, and king. This also should makes us think about what our family history means to us. How our family defines us as individuals.

Just a thought.

TLW

I am not going to argue the subject of Jesus, but I do feel inclined to comment on the number 14 being of special importance to the Jewish people. The numbers 4, 14, and 40 are talked about in Jewish litterature written hundreds of years after the original 5 books as being special. This is based on the rabbinical misunderstanding of biblical hebrew. Hebrew is written without vowels, and as such the number 4 and the word "many" look the same. And where in the old testament is talks of 40___ it is actually saying many___

Jerryismyname's photo
Thu 06/12/08 09:32 PM
My dog and best friend of 8 years passed away a year ago. For me the greiving proccess will go on forever. But with time those feelings of sadness and dispair will start to slowly get replaced by the good memories you shared.