Community > Posts By > sunlark

sunlark's photo
Tue 05/26/09 12:48 PM
Edited by sunlark on Tue 05/26/09 12:49 PM
I am myself a skeptic of many things, including astrology. In my opinion, the daily horoscopes posted in the newspaper or online are too generic to have much real value. The same advice is dished out to 8% of the population. Just how accurate can that be?

On the other hand, as I have studied bits and pieces of astrology over the years, I have found my personal experience to indicate some possible truthfulness to the idea that the positions of planets, sun, and moon actually do affect our personal tendencies.

For example, I am a quintuple Sagittarius. Not only is my sun sign Sag, but also my rising sign and 3 different planets are in Sag. Sag is not supposed to mix well with water signs. Oddly, I have frequently found myself attracted to Cancer and Pisces. Yet, it has never worked out, so I decided to research more about what tendencies go with Cancer and Pisces that make these combinations so difficult. And I found some amazing insights.

When you look at a potential relationship, I would encourage you to look at the dynamics between you and your potential partner. Whether you use astrology to help identify the dynamics, personality testing, NLP (neural linguistic programming), or other methods, recognize that it's not about one of you being right and the other wrong. It's simply that we truly do have different approaches to life and love and we can have better results by being aware of what challenges me might face in connecting with different personality types.

For example, Cancers tend to be strong nurturers and very strong family types. They tend to be very sensitive and emotional and hold things inside. Sagittarians tend to adventure and independence and blunt, open communication. So, it has nothing to do with whether it's better to be family oriented or love adventure, but everything to do with whether you can both effectively honor where the other person is and find joy in the partnership.

Also, it's important to note these are tendencies only. I can be nurturing, family-oriented, sensitive, emotional, and hold things inside--to an extent--but these tendencies are stronger in Cancer. Also, a Cancer can enjoy adventure, independence, and open communication, but they are not as naturally prone to these as a Sagittarian. Remember too that it's not just your sun sign, but all the planets, your rising sign, and your moon sign affecting your personality.

For anyone wondering whether astrology can be used to gain greater insights into your relationships, I encourage you to find a reputable astrologer and have a full chart done. Many astrologers will also do 'love charts' or 'relationship charts' where you can do a combination chart of you and someone you are are attracted to. I would avoid any astrologer who is going to tell you who to be in relationship with. But I would really listen to an astrologer who can give a strong idea of what the challenges are going to be in connecting with someone else.

As I am not an astrologer, I am not writing from a place of potential gain. I do caution that there are charlatans in all fields, including astrology, so do take care to find someone who really knows their stuff while not being too heavily in their own ego. Another option is to Google various astrology websites, and definitely use discernment as I found both sites with excellent insight and ones that were trying to rip me off.

Please don't ask me to name the specific sites. If you doubt your ability to develop your own personal discernment, I encourage you all the more to do so. The insights gained will be well worth your efforts.