Community > Posts By > EmmiSam

EmmiSam's photo
Sat 10/06/12 04:01 AM
But a man calling himself a woman doesn't make him a woman. The same way a mixed race person calling thsrlves white or black exclusively doesn't make it so. I disagree with that calling yourself African American means you are after freebies, I believe the intention is an honest one, possibly to try to hold on to some ideal of identity, but too much emphasis is placed on identity and race and where people fit in. That is why Barack Obama and others should not in my opinion call themselves black as they are fuelling the idea that people need a catagory, which they dont. Historical mistakes aside, of which the slave trade is only ONE of a million different acts of prejudice around the world, from ALL races, people should learn to accept that "belonging" to a race is unimportant. "mixed" race expressing exactly those ideals. The whole reason nature even allows for people of differing complexion to breed with one another is that race does not matter, and we shouldn't label each other as though it does. A black cat doesn't look at a white cat and think "your white" it just sees another cat.

EmmiSam's photo
Fri 10/05/12 03:54 AM

And Marian carets mother is Irish so calling her black is like dismissing the woman who carried and have birth to her.

its a common heritage

in the US, for hundreds of years, it was the ruling class that dictated what 'black' was, and that is deeply ingrained in the culture and the history

so, whatever ones actual BIOLOGY, their EXPERIENCE in america will be based more upon their APPEARANCE

African americans have for a long while recognized other african americans, people who share a common AMERICAN experience as having african descendants because they were NOT considered part of the MAJORITY/European descended class

so there is a biological classification, and there is a social classification

in american culture, our experience is based more upon our social classification which is defined by our appearance

many african americans could 'pass' as white, but there was a reason it was ever considered 'passing', because the history dictated that it was less likely for an american to be considered 'white' unless it was clear there was NO african ancestry in them

my own child could 'pass' if she so chose, and that will be her decision when she grows up,,,,I could understand her calling herself white (as much as it may hurt my ego) because she could very well be treated and seen as such in her SOCIAL surroundings and therefore relate to it more

many mixed children, that dont have an 'obvious' non african feature, experience the same obstacles and treatment SOCIALLY that those with 'obvious' african features have, and so when those mixed race kids associate with 'african americans', I dont begrudge them either

that is their AMERICAN experience,,,,

I'm aware that Africa is a continent. I am also acutely aware of the fact that west Africans have differing facial features aswell as bone structure height and even hair type to those from the east such as Ethiopian, the north such as morrocco and the south such as Zimbabwe. I am more than educated on the differing appearances of not only the African continent, but the other continents also. The American experience is exactly my point. It is the only so called "civilised" country in the world that still bases such an emphasis on what race people are. No where in the western world as you call it is race such a dividing issue as it is in America. And I am not speaking ignorantly, I have visited the US and many other countries many times. Issues that should remain in the past as nothing more than historical lessons are still used as a basis to segregate each race from the other. By both the public and by its government. All I'm saying is that while that may be the American experience, it does not mean it is a good or right one. The only way Americans and America will ever get over its racism is to stop the emphasis on why each individual is different from another. Basing someone's racial description purely on what they look like or what they THInK they look like is ridiculous.

Barack Obama has a white mother, and yet he and the American people as well as its government and media refer to him as black. This is a racist and segratory view born from the values that black people supposedly resent. The idea that once you have any black heritage be it half or whatever, that you are solely "black" is prejudiced. It implies that being black is some kind of affliction that you only need a little of to be entirely distanced from another culture, which is ridiculous. No one is saying you should call yourself white but you do not have to be resigned to any one label regardless of how others do or do not see you. If Barack Obama stood and said "I am not black, I am mixed race" who could argue? Mixtures of any cultures are a beautiful thing and people of mixed heritage should stand proud in that they refuse to fit into a category just because their particular society finds it easier that way.

EmmiSam's photo
Fri 10/05/12 01:00 AM
And Marian carets mother is Irish so calling her black is like dismissing the woman who carried and have birth to her.

EmmiSam's photo
Fri 10/05/12 12:59 AM

There's positive and negative in all racial descriptions. But its only really Americans who avoid the word black. And I never understand either why Americans call mixed race people black, that confuses British people. One white Parent? Not black! Mixed race! Maybe it's a British thing but were kind of "state the obvious"

mixed race doesnt truly group a common ancestry, that is why we dont use it as a racial distinction

'mixed' could imply african and irish, or mexican and indian, or indian and irish, or any number of combinations, many which have no common ancestry

most americans , to be truthful have a 'mixed' heritage, but we associate by the heritage that we MOST connect with

I also have scot(white) and west indian ancestry far back , for instance, but noone who saw me commit a crime would ever describe me as white or west indian, they would say it was a black woman

its not as obvious to most black folks what 'black ' is, because we have so much variance in our appearance, because of the historically FORCED mixing many of our ancestors were subjected to

so, the 'obvious' than becomes subjective based upon a persons experience,,,to me it is 'obvious' that mariah carey is black,,not because she has no white ancestry, but because I see more african than white in her when I look at her (Except her skin tone) and because I see features in her that I see in many of my own 'black' family members

,,,basically, race is largely PRESUMED by the observer based on asthetics, and different people have different experiences that ause them to categorize certain asthetics as 'black' and not others

and those who fit neither category can neatly fit in a 'mixed' box

but most , can fit people into one of the boxes offered,,,
U
and most are probably going to have a category they MOST associate with based upon their life experiences and treatment by others,,,

But just because one culture deems that you should class yourself as "one thing" based on what you most relate to doesn't mean it is right. My two children are both mixed race. If they called themselves white OR black I would be extremely offended as they are ignoring part of their heritage. When I look at you I do not see an African Americanas you do not display the same physical appearance of Africans. Your facial features are different and your skin tone is lighter. You would not "look like a local" in Africa and so how can you most relate to an African American culture? If you have more than one ethnic heritage then ignoring some and putting yourself in one catatory is ignorant and what breeds racism. I myself am Irish Spanish and English. I do not describe myself as only one, I Proudly include all my cultures. I would expect my children tO do the same.

EmmiSam's photo
Fri 10/05/12 12:53 AM

There's positive and negative in all racial descriptions. But its only really Americans who avoid the word black. And I never understand either why Americans call mixed race people black, that confuses British people. One white Parent? Not black! Mixed race! Maybe it's a British thing but were kind of "state the obvious"

mixed race doesnt truly group a common ancestry, that is why we dont use it as a racial distinction

'mixed' could imply african and irish, or mexican and indian, or indian and irish, or any number of combinations, many which have no common ancestry

most americans , to be truthful have a 'mixed' heritage, but we associate by the heritage that we MOST connect with

I also have scot(white) and west indian ancestry far back , for instance, but noone who saw me commit a crime would ever describe me as white or west indian, they would say it was a black woman

its not as obvious to most black folks what 'black ' is, because we have so much variance in our appearance, because of the historically FORCED mixing many of our ancestors were subjected to

so, the 'obvious' than becomes subjective based upon a persons experience,,,to me it is 'obvious' that mariah carey is black,,not because she has no white ancestry, but because I see more african than white in her when I look at her (Except her skin tone) and because I see features in her that I see in many of my own 'black' family members

,,,basically, race is largely PRESUMED by the observer based on asthetics, and different people have different experiences that ause them to categorize certain asthetics as 'black' and not others

and those who fit neither category can neatly fit in a 'mixed' box

but most , can fit people into one of the boxes offered,,,
U
and most are probably going to have a category they MOST associate with based upon their life experiences and treatment by others,,,

EmmiSam's photo
Thu 10/04/12 05:41 PM

White devil????

I used to call my dad that. laugh

Loooooool

EmmiSam's photo
Thu 10/04/12 05:32 PM

White devil????

thats a term that really originates amongst minority groups,, and isnt a mainstream term like the others, doesnt have a UNIVERSALLY excepted connotation,,,

Lol everyone seems to know it though.

EmmiSam's photo
Thu 10/04/12 05:31 PM

EmmiSam's photo
Thu 10/04/12 05:28 PM
White devil????

EmmiSam's photo
Thu 10/04/12 05:22 PM

So Charlize Theron was born in South Africa. Charlize Theron was born in Africa but is not an African American

You where born in America. You call yourself an African Amercian but you where not born in Africa.

Makes no sense to me. Why do we have to fill that bubble for race on an application anyway.

It is a separatism tactic.
They feel mo special.

My negro friends, again, are not from africa and they get very upset being called african. They say it's an extreme insult.

it doesnt make me feel special at all
and it is no more a 'tactic' than a biological description of male vs female

it is just a way to categorize a common biology/ancestry ,,etc,,,

I dont like to be called 'black' because nowhere in the english language does the word hold anything but NEGATIVE connotations semantically and it comes nowhere close to describing anything about me

in the uk you are black, white, Asian etc. I don't think being called "black" is any different to calling someone "white" or "Arab" . And white does not describe me, I am not the same colour as paper.

EmmiSam's photo
Thu 10/04/12 02:26 PM
Dreams are your subconcious's way of filtering visual and audio information we've received during the day. As well as our thoughts or emotions. You don't control what you dream or how you dream it. And what your dream shows isn't necessarily what the dream Is about. You can't "sin" in a dream because u have no choice about what u see or do in the dream. So anything that dream results in cant be a sin I.e a wet dream. If you had a wet dream of cheating on your wife it doesn't mean you've sinned, or been thinking about cheating during the day. If you woke up after the dream and decided to cheat then THAT would be the sin.