Community > Posts By > urbantreckker

urbantreckker's photo
Tue 01/10/12 10:37 AM
Regarding Windows 7 speed: a lot of the trouble comes from 7 being so much of a dog. I mean that its typical for Microsoft to have all of their componants start up and operate ALL THE TIME. This over burdens many computers and causes them to run slow. There are a whole mess of startup componants called 'services' that can be set to 'manual' so that they only run when they're called upon by a program that needs them. Then there are also a bunch of services that are totally impractical and useless for everyday computing that can be completely disabled . These also cause a computer to run slow.
While the lists of services to set for manual and to safely disable are long,you can Google ' speed up Windows 7' and you're find great arrivals on now and what to do.
For example: did you know that each time your computer starts up it loads literally HUNDREDS of extra font styles just in case you want to use them? And get this: most of those couple hundred font styles are in foreign languages that you'll never learn or even HEAR in your entire life! But yet you must wait for them to all load each time you start your computer. Ridiculous of course. That's just an example of how things are.
I have a simple Acer Aspire One with 1 GB RAM and am running Windows 8 Developers Preview And my cold startup time is 12 seconds to my sign in page and from my key of 'enter' after inputting my password it's just another 2 seconds!
I've also tried the Ready Boost trick with a thumbdrive but it doesn't seem to help. But you know, I've read lots about that process and in theory its solid they claim that many thumbdrives are not compatible with the speed necessary to make a difference.
Also, a couple big but safe disables that can be done in windows 7 is to disable the Aero effects, disable your indexing service and if you don't run a network between multiple computers (99 percent of people never do) you can also disable all those related services as well.
My little netbook with a little 1GB RAM running Windows 8 is so fast and responsive --- even with multi windows open and multi tasking programs.

urbantreckker's photo
Tue 01/10/12 09:52 AM
Another bit of info: If you use a prepaid phone as I do ( an LG Optimus V with Android OS through Virgin Mobile ) you must be verrry careful if you carry any positive balance on your account. What I mean is that if you can't pay your chosen monthly plan amount exactly because the cards usually are a higher value than the actual monthly charge and you then have a plus balance you can use for next month be careful. You see,somehow certain companies find out you have a positive balance and send you a text as they have with me ...TWICE and charged me $9.99!!! There is NOTHING you can do to prevent the charges but call your company --as I did Virgin Mobile-- and raise hell and get your money back. The first time I didn't respond to the solicitation text but simply deleted it. Still originally got charged. The second time instead of just deleting it I responded with STOP which is required by law to stop solicitors texts. Still charged! !
Oh, I got my account straight both times but my company claims that all they can do is restore my funds but can't somehow keep my balance CONFIDENTIAL.
Anyways,be careful and anytime you get a solicitation text always make sure your balance is correct after you text back STOP.

urbantreckker's photo
Tue 01/10/12 09:27 AM
what do you think of Lupu, the combination of Puppy and Lucid? I put it on a thumb drive for a bootable recovery thing and set my netbook to boot first from USB. I leave it like that and so long as nothing is in my USB ports normal boot into my windows 8 developers preview is very quick-like 12 seconds with the startups whittled to their core.
However,I'm having trouble configuring the WiFi component of Lupu. I can't seem to get the various drivers loaded for the various routers and it thus won't catch the internet. Any suggestions or input? I'd like to have my thumbdrive OS fully configured so I can play with my new Puppy.

urbantreckker's photo
Wed 01/04/12 07:24 PM
Edited by urbantreckker on Wed 01/04/12 07:47 PM
Very nice. Your dedication I mean. What IS the "law of the Lord".
Hold on now.Don't be thinking I am about to BLASPHEME here.I'm a Christian ,but no mentally blind one though.
Look,I am a furiously spiritual man but DO NOT BELIEVE every single CONTEXT that is laid down in the Word...nor should anyone.
The bible (even the King James Bible) is chock full of contradictions with itself and not one minister can explain them.Hold on now,I'm not challenging OUR FAITH! I'm simply pointing out that if anyone with common sense were to study the Word as much as I would certainly arrive at a point of question.
Does our CURRENT version of the Word explicitly say to not believe any other messages from the Lord? It does say that those who do not follow "these words are not of God". But,what if the word "words" were to mean "ideals"? Then what could we interpret?
The Bible does not say that there would be no other prophets. Then why oh why do an overwhelming percent of CHRISTIAN ministers espouse the idea that nobody can have direct messages from God and that there are no new prophets?
My whole point being: God speaks to us all the time-we just don't listen or fall to human reasoning...or maybe just what some minister said.
I strongly urge people to read "Conversations with God" and the two volumes that follow.On it's face it may appear lunatic or blasphemous but I assure you that it certainly opens ones eyes as to many truths that both parallel the Word and contradict many CONTEXTS many of us were raised to believe which LIMITED our furtherance of the understanding of Our Lord. These books NEED to be read-regardless of your current pattern of belief or status in life.I encourage you to do so.Please open your hearts and minds to the wisdom God intends for you,and to not be STRICTLY LIMITED TO WHAT KING JAMES TOLD TYNSDALE TO PUBLISH IN THE KING JAMES VERSION.(history tells us that King James had his lead translator,Tynsdale,beheaded! And it wasn't because he wasn't doing a good job...it was because King James had a personal AGENDA as to what the first English translation said to his kingdom.)Think about these things and read those books written by a simple man.You'll be both enlightened and amazed as to how awesome God is,and made us to be as well! Thanks for reading.

urbantreckker's photo
Tue 01/03/12 03:37 PM
Edited by urbantreckker on Tue 01/03/12 03:40 PM
Anyone relocating to Cabo or Lapaz Mexico? Need some info and maybe a contact or two before I go.Would also like to ride in a car instead of alone by bus or fly.Have $$ to help with gas from San Diego down.frustrated