Community > Posts By > Aoide

no photo
Mon 05/23/11 07:38 AM

It's probably not going to be very popular here, but is it frowned upon to use dating sites to look for "friends with benefits"?

Most people on here are looking for Mr/Mrs Right which is fair enough; whereas some say they're just looking for friends, although probably a fair proportion of those are doing that with a view to becoming friends with their Prince(ss) Charming.

Having recently come out of what could be termed a toxic relationship, I'm just looking for someone to chat with and possibly more, but without leading people on with expectations of it blooming into a big romance. I just want to be open and honest, but obviously I don't want to scare anyone away. And of course there may be people who are looking for "Mr Right" but don't mind spending time with "Mr Right Now".

So how do you react when you see a profile for someone of your preferred sex who's looking for (what Mingle terms) an "activity partner"? Do you judge them and if so, how? Should dating sites be purely for the pursuit of lifelong monogamous romance or not?

Discuss!

I think you're being realistic, which is quite refreshing. When it comes to romance and relationships, nothing can be labelled properly IMO cos people develop, their relationships are in constant flux and "Miss/Mr Right" can turn into nothings, whereas FWB can turn into something big and meaningful.
I'm totally new here, so I don't even know yet where to look what people said on their profile, I'm just focussing on their words for the time being. I can't even remember what I put on my own profile - after all, profiles are like pictures: momentary glimpses, not the full picture at all.

I'm not sure how realistic it is to think that a FWB kind of thing is going to turn into something big and meaningful. It could happen, I'm sure, but I don't know that it happens a lot. I think that's what sweetestgirl was talking about... many women get into that kind of thing thinking more is going to come from it and it doesn't happen that way.

Oh, I agree, it doesn't happen very often. I merely meant that putting a label on something doesn't necessarily mean that the same label will still apply in a few weeks time. IMO it's realistic to not pay too much attention to the labels, but to approach people and let them approach with an open mind.

no photo
Mon 05/23/11 07:28 AM

It's probably not going to be very popular here, but is it frowned upon to use dating sites to look for "friends with benefits"?

Most people on here are looking for Mr/Mrs Right which is fair enough; whereas some say they're just looking for friends, although probably a fair proportion of those are doing that with a view to becoming friends with their Prince(ss) Charming.

Having recently come out of what could be termed a toxic relationship, I'm just looking for someone to chat with and possibly more, but without leading people on with expectations of it blooming into a big romance. I just want to be open and honest, but obviously I don't want to scare anyone away. And of course there may be people who are looking for "Mr Right" but don't mind spending time with "Mr Right Now".

So how do you react when you see a profile for someone of your preferred sex who's looking for (what Mingle terms) an "activity partner"? Do you judge them and if so, how? Should dating sites be purely for the pursuit of lifelong monogamous romance or not?

Discuss!

I think you're being realistic, which is quite refreshing. When it comes to romance and relationships, nothing can be labelled properly IMO cos people develop, their relationships are in constant flux and "Miss/Mr Right" can turn into nothings, whereas FWB can turn into something big and meaningful.
I'm totally new here, so I don't even know yet where to look what people said on their profile, I'm just focussing on their words for the time being. I can't even remember what I put on my own profile - after all, profiles are like pictures: momentary glimpses, not the full picture at all.

no photo
Mon 05/23/11 06:40 AM

welcome aoide flowerforyou

Thank you! :smile:

no photo
Mon 05/23/11 06:39 AM

Hey, I never noticed that before - an Aoide shaped gap in my life! :)

Welcome to Mingle2, have fun.

The time of your despair is over!! bigsmile
Thanks for the welcome! :wink:

no photo
Mon 05/23/11 03:02 AM

waving

flowerforyou

no photo
Mon 05/23/11 03:01 AM

Welcome to Mingle

Roll Tide

Thank you!

no photo
Mon 05/23/11 03:01 AM

good night and adieu to fair spanish ladies,
good night and adieu to you ladies of spain,
for we've recieved orders to return back to boston,
and never more shall we see you again,

who sang that in what movie?

Oh, I do treasure an intellectual challenge. Or at least the challenge to google something and post a wikipedia link. (is that allowed here?? I'm not sure...)spock
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_Ladies

no photo
Sun 05/22/11 05:41 PM

Here something to cause a giggle!!
:wink: laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh

Ah, you found a picture of me - very nice! winking

to much sauerkraut?...i heard the strudel is good this time of year..
welcome to mingle

Not enough sauerkraut!! (that stuff makes me puke...) biggrin

no photo
Sun 05/22/11 05:10 PM

Here something to cause a giggle!!
:wink: laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh

Ah, you found a picture of me - very nice! winking

no photo
Sun 05/22/11 05:08 PM

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking to just take one man's breath away. Looking so I can stop looking.

I hope everyone's journey in finding their special someone is a short one.flowerforyou

Isn't that a bit counter-productive if you take his breath away?? Not breathing can be lethal, you know... ;O

no photo
Sun 05/22/11 04:53 PM

DID WE ALL DIE AM I A ZOMBIE NOW? I HAVE A SUDDEN URGE TO EAT BRAINS!

That might be due to a vacuum on the inside of your skull. Drill a hole into your head, and if air rushes in, you'll know that your urge to eat brains is due to the absence of any grey matter. If stuff comes out, you should make your way to the next emergency room...

no photo
Sun 05/22/11 04:45 PM

Are you from the land of Oz?

Welcome!

Nah, I'm from the land of sauerkraut, I'm afraid! ;p

no photo
Sun 05/22/11 04:44 PM

I am laughing at you right now.

Welcome, from the Oregon coast :-)

Thanks for the welcome! Let's all laugh with each other, I'm sure it'll be contagious! ;)

no photo
Sun 05/22/11 04:41 PM

I can't sleep! Again...
indifferent

Have you ever tried Bach Rescue Night?? It's made of essences from flowers, totally natural and it actually works.
If that fails too, I recommend watching either of the Twilight movies, they send me to sleep within 10 mins every night without fail - and no, I am really truly not kidding.

no photo
Sun 05/22/11 04:34 PM
Edited by Aoide on Sun 05/22/11 04:34 PM

it may be sad but i'm almost 22 and i'm scared to death of storms, which it's doing right now. I even have myself worked into tears. It's pathetic. I hate being alone and hearing the thunder, rain and hail. :(

You have a number of options to deal with this situation. You could:
-hide under the table
-find someone wearing a waterproof anorak, so he won't get too wet when you're crying on his shoulder
-find some kind of whale-song relaxation tape and listen to that instead of the howling winds
-get totally drunk, so you don't give a rat's behind about the storm
-move to a calmer place.
But honestly, don't beat yourself up over being scared, it's a natural reaction to a scary situation. Try to find help when the weather is calm, that way you'll be prepared for the next storm and won't worry so much about it.

no photo
Sun 05/22/11 04:27 PM

this talk of Jesus coming on May 21.
Seems there are some who believe this.
Who are these people? I don't know much about it.

I wasn't informed!! Was anyone at home when he turned up?? I didn't hear the doorbell, I swear... Ah well, he'll be back, I'm sure...

no photo
Sun 05/22/11 04:22 PM
I'm kidding of course, I'm sure you were fine before you met me. But I'm here to meet new people I can have a laugh with, cos laughing is good for the soul. What say you - are you in??

2 Next