Community > Posts By > Aquilinus

Aquilinus's photo
Fri 03/04/11 07:30 PM
Green is identified by a set of light frequencies; the fact that it is a qualitative does not mean that light in the green range is any less green. Also, the colour receptors in our eyes respond to different frequencies, so green light triggers certain receptors that allow us to experience green rather than another colour.

Aquilinus's photo
Sun 02/20/11 05:21 PM
Edited by Aquilinus on Sun 02/20/11 05:24 PM
We need to start by saying that, within a black hole, everything that we know about the physical universe breaks down.

Black holes are phenomena where a massive body has distorted space-time and created a region that is inescapable by anything, even light. Around the black hole is a boundary surface called the event horizon, past which nothing can escape the black hole's gravity well. At the centre is a singularity, a supermassive body that is infinitely dense: it occupies an infinitely small amount of space. A black hole is formed when a star of sufficient mass dies and collapses upon its self under its own gravity. The escape velocity necessary to leave the gravity of the black hole beyond the event horizon is greater than the speed of light.

F - force
G - universal constant of gravitational attraction
m - mass of body (m1 and m2)
r - radial distance between the bodies being considered

Universal Law of Gravity

F = G(m1*m2)/r^2

Also, F = m*a (a - acceleration)

Thus, if m1 is the mass of the body and m2 is the mass of the singularity,

F = m*a = G(m1*m2)/r^2 --> a = G(m2)/r^2

We see that the gravitational acceleration caused by a black hole (or any body) is the product of G and the mass divided by the squared radius of distance between the two bodies.

A photon is a unit of light energy, so to speak. As such, it cannot be destroyed. When a photon is captured by the gravity field of a black hole, it falls to the singularity and we cannot say exactly what happens to it. The singularity of a black hole cannot be directly observed.

A black hole is not a body with infinite gravity, and it is a consequence of the theory of relativity. The proposed 'balance' to a black hole is a white hole, a body that cannot be entered from the outside, but permits things to escape it.

Moreover, it is not necessary for there to be balance of properties; that is a property of forces.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_hole

Aquilinus's photo
Mon 02/14/11 01:43 PM
I think I'll pass ... =P

Aquilinus's photo
Mon 02/14/11 01:41 PM
Hey, I'm Cam, just joined (literally). I'm 22 and single, looking for someone within about 3 years of my age and at least reasonably close to my city. So tell me what's up?