Community > Posts By > MTtroy

MTtroy's photo
Sun 06/17/18 10:31 PM

These statements, the likes of which I expect we’ll all hear more of in coming months, reinforce three harmful narratives about low-income Americans: People who receive benefits don’t work, they don’t deserve help and the money spent on the social safety net is a waste of money.

1. The first myth, that people who receive public benefits are “takers” rather than “makers,” is flatly untrue for the vast majority of working-age recipients.

Consider Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program benefits, formerly known as food stamps, which currently serve about 42 million Americans. At least one adult in more than half of SNAP-recipient households are working. And the average SNAP subsidy is $125 per month, or $1.40 per meal – hardly enough to justify quitting a job.

As for Medicaid, nearly 80 percent of adults receiving Medicaid live in families where someone works, and more than half are working themselves.

2.The second myth is that low-income Americans do not deserve a helping hand.

This idea derives from our belief that the U.S. is a meritocracy where the most deserving rise to the top. Yet where a person ends up on the income ladder is tied to where they started out.

Indeed, America is not nearly as socially mobile as we like to think. Forty percent of Americans born into the bottom-income quintile – the poorest 20 percent – will stay there. And the same “stickiness” exists in the top quintile.

As for people born into the middle class, only 20 percent will ascend to the top quintile in their lifetimes.

3.The third myth is that government assistance is a waste of money and doesn’t accomplish its goals.

In fact, poverty rates would double without the safety net, to say nothing of human suffering. Last year, the safety net lifted 38 million people, including 8 million children, out of poverty.

from http://theconversation.com/3-myths-about-the-poor-that-republicans-are-using-to-support-slashing-us-safety-net-89048

My experiences with employers and what I witnessed from over 90% of the people that worked. Is that employers suck. I think people have gotten away from the way mankind was intended to live. Mankind never knew business or government for the greater time they have inhabited earth.

A man is better off having his own land so he can grow his own food. build his own house and not depend on a business or government. Fire up the moonshine still and get cookin' ;)

MTtroy's photo
Sun 06/17/18 10:19 PM
IDK...seems like those talking the most usually have never bought guns or ammo. The fact remains guns are made for killing. Whether a single shot black powder or the latest and greatest GE minigun. We got laws against killing yet killing gets worse. Heck these laws have been around for thousands of years...nothing new. when the economy goes south people kill for money and property. People used to just kill for peoples possessions...dead men tell no lies. Now some kid that lacks self-control reaches for a weapon or throws his fist everytime someone says his mom is ugly. Different folks than 75 years ago. I think people have lost the fear of death and punishment. Most definitely lost respect for life other than their own. A selfish self-satisfying bunch. That surround themselves with like-minded people not caring what anyone else believes...that just about describes every political group in America at this time.