Community > Posts By > alain45

alain45's photo
Sat 10/09/10 04:30 AM
Kempt4, I share your understanding about the link between beliefs and perceptions.

My perceptions dictacte my reality...but only my own. They are not THE reality because these perceptions stem from very little and often deceptive knowledge. Perceptions are thus made out of assumptions.

This explain wars and jails, but it also explains positive creativity and parenthood for instance.

This is why society needs a set of evolving rules that defines the right and the wrong. These rules help an individual to change his perceptions, if required, thus his beliefs and underlying assumptions.

alain45's photo
Fri 10/08/10 11:26 AM

To believe is making an assumption that makes us feel right even when circumstances prove us wrong. So believers spend their infinitisimal time on earth seeking an equilibrium between what they think is right and what they see is wrong with them and with others.

Then, beliefs bring about judgments. (I am right, he is wrong). So, I decide to pursue my course with all of the upheavals this can create for me and others. Action always brings about reaction.

Yet, our knowledge base is infinitisimal. 'A grain of sand in the ocean of immensity' said Pascal.

We cannot come to grips with the concept of infinity. This concept evades us.

First, our definition of time is first and foremost linked to our limited time on earth which we are in a position to control, thanks to our ability to choose our own course at many crossroads..If we are sufficiently alert to see them and act upon rightly or wrongly. It all depends on the source (s) of our decision making process. Was the source emanating from instinctual fear of suffering or death, was it the result of our repeated behaviour resulting from our youth or adult experiences, was it from faith we finally gave to our senses over and above our physical ones?

Second, we are unable to understand the concept of immateriality. We are constrained to a physical body that needs to survive, with food, shelter, and health to maintain our ability to preserve our 5 senses required to survive. Seeking the vital minimum already consumes most of our time on earth, whether we enjoy what we do or not.

These two factors, combined, explain why beliefs are so important to the humanity. They enable people to make assumptions as to their purpose and destiny on earth. Be it for the right or wrong. Again, is there a right or a wrong when we at least know that the earth and the solar system will disappear the day that the sun implodes.

Meanwhile, Socrates deserves to be thanked. He preferred death to sacrifying the laws of the city so badly needed to interpret collectively right or wrong beliefs.