Community > Posts By > em26

no photo
Sun 05/29/11 12:21 AM
Both!

Countrside or Mountains?

no photo
Sat 05/28/11 11:58 PM

Are an elite few born to be geniuses, or does genius reside in each and every one of us?

Before I read other posts, I would like to write out my respose to your initial question...

When I hear (or read) the word "genius" I think of one who is gifted with an an uncommon intelligence in a subject(s) special to each of the individual genius. So, with using the word "gifted" I think of that which one is given without having to work hard to achieve, study to know, or keep trying to obtain.

(Someone who is intelligent, on the other hand, is one who is able to understand complexities, to put it simply.)

I do not believe that genius reside in each and every one of us. Here I will metion personality tests. I do not use personality tests as a matter-of-fact that one is exactly defined as a result from such a test tells him he is. Rather, from such tests I come to realize that the pool of geniuses is rather small while there are many people who can be identified as protectors and healers and artesian (for examples).

Could it be a Western thought, that each and every person have genius potential, running along the same line that you can be what ever you want to be, so long as you put your mindg to it and work hard?)

On the other hand, there is a possibility that I have yet to explore. What is one's environment has a role in molding a genius? I would have to research various geniuses and look back on their early lives and their influences. That is all I will say on this, although my hypothesis is that one's environment does not play a part in shaping a genius. To say that I would also need to mention that there may be a comparison of genius across cultures...

no photo
Sat 05/28/11 11:21 PM

I know everyone will probably disagree with me but I really like the space shuttles. I believe they could have been updated with more sophisticated technology to allow us to fly even further out in space. Maybe even to Mars. One small step for man....one giant leap for mankind. Imagine that being said on Mars if possible!

These pioneer astronauts even mentioned that we should have been on Mars by now. Our space program has gone way to slow because of the constant approvals, regulations, and fundings in getting them going. It is because we as a people can't agree on basic fundamentals of life either making our governments at loss with their budget. It is a sad story for I really believe the US could have still led in alot more then just landing on the moon and taking a few pictures of the planets in our universe.

I wish we could have voted as a people to keep the space shuttle and just updated it with more technology. I think that the people would have voted for it to stay with us and not store the thing in a museum for memories.

If I am off subject then I apologize to the OP. I am very new with space programs and how they work.

Since I was a child I have been facinated with everything beyond our planet, but lately I have been wondering why we need to go out to space and explore this great expance. It is one thing to be able to do good for the inhabitants of this planet, but it sure is another thing to do something out of pure curiosity and expect a vast majority to support this satisfying of the curiosity. Is this the underlining reason (one's curiosity) for why scientist want to explore the near and far reaches of space? If so, should citizens be required to pay taxes to support their itching curiosity?

What do we expect to do on Mars? To supply oxygen alone, how much will that cost?

no photo
Sat 05/28/11 10:44 PM
That Hideous Strength (part three in The Space Trilogy) by C.S. Lewis

Academically Adrift by Richard Arum and Josipa Roksa