Community > Posts By > skipper747

skipper747's photo
Wed 03/17/10 12:25 AM
Edited by skipper747 on Wed 03/17/10 12:29 AM
Hola everyone -

I live in Buenos Aires, Argentina.
Most people in South America love fútbol (football - soccer), and "my team" close to home is "River Plate", white and red colors. The other famous team is "Boca Juniors", often champions, but they are in another part of the city. I hope Argentina will win in South Africa this year. If Argentina does not win, I wish the best for Brazil. Many Argentina players are with European football teams, no need to tell you that we also follow the European championships.

I lived 30 years in USA - but never watched an American football game, not even on TV, because I dont even know the game rules. To me it looks like rugby game with helmets and padding. So by world statistics, football (soccer) remains the most popular game through the world.

Of course, in USA, they like to call their sport championships with names like "World Series"... Not many countries (besides Canada) do compete in American football (or baseball). Of course, in baseball, Japan, Cuba, Santo Domingo and Mexico are into baseball, but that is not "most" of the world - like it is the case of soccer.

One nice thing about TV in Argentina, by law (since last year) TV stations must broadcast local national fútbol games for free, it is not a mafia and $$$ question like ESPN-TV in USA...

If you do not like soccer, no problem, I do not force you but do not try to interest me into American football, too boring for me.

Counting the days for "el Mundial" to start - When Argentina will play it will be on TV, the entire country will watch, even many offices or workplaces will be closed, even government offices...!

May the best ones win...!

skipper747's photo
Tue 03/16/10 08:15 PM
Edited by skipper747 on Tue 03/16/10 08:20 PM
Hello everyone -
Trying to make new friends - but this internet does not make it easy as today I am one place, tomorrow, I will be another. Let me explain that I am 66, and retired from airlines, means that I am travelling a lot for free or almost free. But today this computer assumes that I live "here" in this province/state and city.
No...! I live in a suitcase, most of the time...
I am widower, and I miss my wife.
I was born in Brussels and educated there - This explain the few languages I can speak - I understand others. So I have a EU (Europe) passport. Oh, do not think I seek a "US Green Card" - I have a US Passport as I lived there 30 years, but would not want to live there again. I live in Buenos Aires, Argentina (a few weeks a year). I am often in Europe, or SE Asia, I love Brazil as well. My sports of interest are football (soccer) and polo (horses). I do not know anything about US sport teams, baseball or American football. I just know that the Lakers are the Los Angeles basketball team.
I love good food, good wines and a good cold glass of beer in summer. I am cultured and educated, be glad to talk ancient history or philosophy, religion or opera singers. After all, I have been in 105 (or 107...?) countries... Some places were only a few hours but some other locations, were assignments for a few months. So do not try to beat me with geography. I know the capital city, if they have a king or a republic, if they drive on the left, or the voltage of their electricity, and I prefer metric to imperial measures. To me 30º is warm...!
I try to meet new friends. I am conservative in my manners, I like old traditions, I offer flowers, open doors, I am against drugs and cannabis, and I do not need sport sex. Age does not matter, if you are young, I hope you are mature, and if about my age, I love to behave like a teenager at times.
Last but not least, I have a great sense of humour...
Everyone calls me by my nickname, "Skipper"...!
Glad to meet you.