MrLonelyInSpokane's photo
Mon 10/12/09 09:38 AM
Okay, here is a topic that I can have an opinion on! I consider myself an "Athiest" because I do not believe in a "Higher Power" than myself in this world. To me, there is no God....I have had to bear the burden of my mistakes alone, therefore I'll accept the rewards for my accomplishments as well. I've experienced no "Divine Intervention" at the lowest points in my life, times when a little guidence from above would have been helpful. At no point did I ever feel that "But for the grace of God, go I"---quite the contrary, it was "I" that went!! I've adopted the stance that life is what WE make it, that We created "God" in our own image because we needed someone to blame for our foibles and to credit our successes to. I am the highest power in my life. I make the decisions, reap the rewards and suffer the consequences. However, I will admit to one thing: I am jealous of those who have faith in something more. It must be comforting to feel that you're not alone in those times of personal weakness, in moments of internal dispair. I was always left to ponder my existance and my future here on earth on my own, with no entity of a more "enlightened" veiwpoint to guide me through what I can only describe as Hell On Earth. I've read the Bible on many occasions and found personal grace from the words within, but I still feel that the Bible is the best book of fiction BASED ON HISTORICAL FACTS ever written. There are many moral and ethical standards one could live their lives by in the Bible, but I feel it is still a human decision to live with those as a guideline to better living.
That is my two cents.