Community > Posts By > KansasSunrise

KansasSunrise's photo
Wed 09/24/08 09:16 AM
I was recently rejected by a Christian woman because of my lack of faith. When we first met we were fairly smitten with each other and quickly developed a warm romantic relationship. Then one evening she asked: "Do you believe in the one true God?" I replied that I had undefined spiritual beliefs. She was very quiet and then said, to the effect, that the bible said not to convenant with unbelievers.

My perception is that people come to their understanding or belief from a lifetime of searching and experience, and as a consequence garner my respect regardless of their conclusions. I can't know how hard it has been for another, nor can I or should I make a judgment about their hard won beliefs. What I can do is try and understand the best I'm able.

What's sad in this situation is the feeling we had for each other and that a doctrine got in the way. I could have reasoned with her in many ways about that supposed biblical edict but felt that it could be perceived that I was attacking her faith - and more importantly, that if she didn't see the problem with it then I doubt that an outsider's reason would do much good.

So...one of those rare (I'm finding) encounters of mutual attraction died on the vine - or Cross, if you will - and we're left with a sadness of what might have been.

Cowboy