Community > Posts By > Dzheims

Dzheims's photo
Fri 09/11/15 12:09 PM
My first memory ever, I was 2 and a half.
I'm sure it cannot be a false memory for the people I was with can't remember that event.
I can put an occasion on it from I always kept it in mind and the circumstances I lived this couldn't be placed at any other time of my early life.
I clearly stated that recall when I was around thirty, when I decided to re-orient my profession to something else, to mechanics.

It was summer time, some holiday spent on the sea side, we were three, my mother, my grandmother, my younger sister and I. It was time to have a rest and a snack after some walk. We stopped in a public park and if grandma complained about the lack of shadow from the surrounding trees, the summer on the northern coast of France is never too rough even in its hottest days. We sat on a bench and started to pic-nic.
Not long after we settled there, a street cleaning car came around the place, made a round and steered further in the park. All the time it was under my sight I was wondering "how the hell does it work ?" and "what makes its brushes turn on themselves and so gather the dirt ?"
Someday I'll know !... was my only conclusion.

Back to my thirties, I had studied literature, communication and advertisement, I used to work as a department manager in a DIY store but for the first time unemployed, my car broke down from its timing belt.
Without knowledge at all, just a repair manual and the tools I bought on the occasion, I fixed it.
Then I acknowledged the answer to my own question : how does it work ?
Then I followed a professional training course to learn more about all that stuff.

In the end, I just would say that my first memory is so early because it was yet about what makes us wondering the most : how does it work, whatever it can be, life, things, others....
I feel lucky I've found the answer.