Community > Posts By > PK2

no photo
Sun 09/27/09 06:31 PM
Edited by PK2 on Sun 09/27/09 06:49 PM

God,

I love the way people looked back then. Woman in those "oh so tight" @ss skirts, and way tall pumps, with pale skin, and bright red lipstick and nails.

And the men in those rockin suits and hats, and shiny shoes.

People were so classy and elegant back then.

love it!!!!!!!!

So what have you got? What're you buying?

In a small way, another point of my posting this here was to alert some of you who are into it, that... these clothes are still available and some of us still think it looks good.. so I encourage you to do some shopping. :)

Kansas City Confidential is one of my biggest persuasions into the 30s/40s/50s world. haha

John Payne, Preston Foster.. yah.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuRBxRdComk

no photo
Sun 09/27/09 06:07 PM

I am a Huge Fan of the styles from the 30s and 40s. All my friends even know this. I was in a couple of shoe stores my last trip to Post Falls, Idaho and was quite surprised and delighted to see footwear reminiscent of the 40s. The elegance of back then has yet to be matched, as least in my eyes. Days when women actually got dressed up and men looked so stylish. Think, Kate Hepburn, Bette Davies, Lana Turner, Clark Gable, Gregory Peck, Rock Hudson. If I had an opportunity and reason to wear those old-fashioned fashions, I would in a heart beat.

Bring back the 30s and 40s!!!!!!!!

You have the opportunity as long as you live and breathe. What's stopping you? Public opinion?? c'mon.

My reason for wearing them is "I want to". isn't that as good a reason as any?

of course, save the real good stuff for formal engagements.

Reminiscent is always good, but vintage works well too. You'd be surprised to find many wing-tipped shoes and fedoras, etc on eBay in their original boxes from factories and hatters that have struggled to make ends meet and finally went flop in the 21st century.
Touchee! Well, wing tips and fedoras are not really for me, but do you have any suggestions as to where I might source out other clothes?

here's what some of the ladies on that website are wearing.. :)
I'm sure they have the shoes, etc. to match. :)

I personally can't tell you where to shop for actual vintage, but there is a lady's clothing store called Anthropoligie that makes new stuff vintage-based. http://www.anthropologie.com

here's what some of the ladies on that website are wearing.. :)
I'm sure they have the shoes, etc. to match. :) (www.thefedoralounge.com)

It's more of a golden-age based website than just Fedoras and Wingtips. :)

no photo
Sun 09/27/09 05:58 PM
Edited by PK2 on Sun 09/27/09 06:00 PM

I am a Huge Fan of the styles from the 30s and 40s. All my friends even know this. I was in a couple of shoe stores my last trip to Post Falls, Idaho and was quite surprised and delighted to see footwear reminiscent of the 40s. The elegance of back then has yet to be matched, as least in my eyes. Days when women actually got dressed up and men looked so stylish. Think, Kate Hepburn, Bette Davies, Lana Turner, Clark Gable, Gregory Peck, Rock Hudson. If I had an opportunity and reason to wear those old-fashioned fashions, I would in a heart beat.

Bring back the 30s and 40s!!!!!!!!

You have the opportunity as long as you live and breathe. What's stopping you? Public opinion?? c'mon.

My reason for wearing them is "I want to". isn't that as good a reason as any?

of course, save the real good stuff for formal engagements.

Reminiscent is always good, but vintage works well too. You'd be surprised to find many wing-tipped shoes and fedoras, etc on eBay in their original boxes from factories and hatters that have struggled to make ends meet and finally went flop in the 21st century.

I highly reccomend you become a member over at www.thefedoralounge.com. (can't use a free e-mail like gmail, hotmail, yahoo, etc. to sign up with)

There's a lot of women on there with your taste and you might enjoy it. Often times this vintage stuff is re-sold or put up for offer on their forums as it no longer fits someone, or something.

no photo
Sun 09/27/09 05:51 PM
Edited by PK2 on Sun 09/27/09 05:52 PM

rofl rofl

go back and read. I edited it to stay on topic by recommending a suit. :)

another edit..

I think I'm entitled to de-rail it, as I'm the OP. lol.

no photo
Sun 09/27/09 05:48 PM
Edited by PK2 on Sun 09/27/09 05:50 PM

Hell Robin, I'd give my right arm to see you dressed like that and I'd give my left arm if you could get paper to dress like that.laugh

i'd think he's more interested in taking my clothes off, rather than putting them on. laugh

Come on Paper aren't you just a little curious to see him in tights?laugh

So what do you think of any sorts of vintage clothing, Chrissy? I thought I'd ask to prevent this thread from derailing into a personal conversation. ;-)

laugh laugh laugh good luck on that

no one here has figured out how to prevent that yet

Oh, it's typical in any forum environment with lax-moderation. I'm big on forums, I've seen some Nazi-like enforcement that bans someone after two hijacks of a thread... and then there's Mingle. lol. I don't like being the Nazi-forum-mod-type, but making one aware of it is always the first step to preventing it, right?

So I asked a direct question. :)

by the way, I think you would look great in a Matt Deckard custom tailored suit.

I want to get one of those on the top of the page:

http://mattdeckard.com/

no photo
Sun 09/27/09 05:41 PM

But I think the biggest barrier is your e-mail restrictions settings. That's a pretty narrow age limitation you've got there.

^^^

This.

You need to open up your world to more guys than the crowd you "believe" you're willing to date.

Talk to some of the older, and some of the younger guys. Talk to people who aren't from within 50 miles. Afterall, consider that some of the larger towns upstate like Middletown, Poughkeepsie, etc.. are 100+ miles away.. and that's not that far. A guy might Move for ya.

I think you're limiting yourself.

I don't think she is limiting herself; I think she knows her limits.

If she isn't willing to date too much older or younger, why open her up to uselessness?

If she is not willing to date further than 50 miles away, why open her up to uselessness?

If she is serious about meeting someone -- it seems she doesn't want to waste her time or theirs. winking :thumbsup:

Why? Because then she wouldn't have to wonder why no one is responding to her. that's why.

First let's discuss the "mileage".

When you sign up to Mingle, it asks you for a zip code. You write-in your town. The distance thing restricts way too much going on zip-code.

She's in NYC. NYC is big. And she's in Staten Island which is the furthest point south and west of NYC.

Guy A travels from his home, which 45 miles from the bronx to work every day. He works 20 miles away from her. His zip-code lists him on Mingle as living 65 miles away from her. See where this is going? This is a guy she may very well be able to meet on a daily basis in her area, but he's not able to e-mail her because... of a 50 mile restriction.

no photo
Sun 09/27/09 05:27 PM
Edited by PK2 on Sun 09/27/09 05:32 PM

Hell Robin, I'd give my right arm to see you dressed like that and I'd give my left arm if you could get paper to dress like that.laugh

i'd think he's more interested in taking my clothes off, rather than putting them on. laugh

Come on Paper aren't you just a little curious to see him in tights?laugh

So what do you think of any sorts of vintage clothing, Chrissy? I thought I'd ask to prevent this thread from derailing into a personal conversation. ;-)

no photo
Sun 09/27/09 05:10 PM
Edited by PK2 on Sun 09/27/09 05:13 PM

I love the fashions of now!!

(shoot me)

I'm a Dolce and Gabana fool!

My problem with "now" is that everyone is wearing it. Nothing particularly stands out anymore.

Most of "now" is a dulled down version of "yesterday".

And "now" echos an era of.. well.. nothing really spectacular. the computer age? lol.

That's not to say I'm not one with a pair of Revos or Ray Bans, but I've got some Cazal 955's from 1985 and a pair of Alpina's from the 80s as well. :)

no photo
Sun 09/27/09 05:08 PM

"Every girl's crazy bout a sharp dressed man"

That's a ZZ-Top reference for the young ones who aren't familiar

"Legs" ?

or is it that other one... hmmm

no photo
Sun 09/27/09 05:06 PM

I think we should bring back the really vintage clothing

You sir, have lost your mind.

LOL. but that is pretty damn funny.

hheeh

no, I'm more along the lines of...

no photo
Sun 09/27/09 05:02 PM

Being from a Sicilian family, and older parents than most of my friends, i grew i grew up band and swing.. sinatra, louis prima, the rat pack.. Dean Martin, etc.

Ive always enjoyed this.. i worked as a stripper and made it burlesque, and wore alot of outfits from that time with long gloves..

gowns, etc.. was alot of fun.

Have you heard of a woman's store called Anthroplogie? They have some nice stuff which is vintage-based.

A girl-friend of mine was showing me their wares and I was impressed. It's hard to find many vintage-based men's stores.

just look at some of their aprons. many echos of the 40s and 50s there.
http://search.anthropologie.com/?q=apron&international=false

no photo
Sun 09/27/09 04:52 PM

Style is one thing fashion is another. In referring to style I was talking about cut, colors, shapes. The styles you refer to echo an era, an era that is long gone along with the people that made it what it was. More than the style of clothing being renewed I'd like to see the style of living, the class, the respect for others, the feeling that there was some sort of sense of order to things that I'd like to see renewed.

I'd have to agree with this. (well, some of it.)

All that you mention about the style of living, encompassing the class, the respect, and the feeling of order.. is right down my alley, and I'm all for that.

these clothes.. they Do echo that era. Perhaps I'd like to see the clothes back on more people because they echo those same values you mentioned. Yet, obviously, just because you're taking the talk doesn't mean you're walking it, right?

The disagreement is that it's not as long gone as one might think. I had thought the same until I discovered 20,000 people on a forum trying to outfit theirselves in this fashion. (if that website was more popular, who's to say it might not be 2 million people with the mindset?) And these guys range from 19 to 80.

Tough subject actually, to define whether or not it's completely "lost".

no photo
Sun 09/27/09 04:42 PM
But I think the biggest barrier is your e-mail restrictions settings. That's a pretty narrow age limitation you've got there.

^^^

This.

You need to open up your world to more guys than the crowd you "believe" you're willing to date.

Talk to some of the older, and some of the younger guys. Talk to people who aren't from within 50 miles. Afterall, consider that some of the larger towns upstate like Middletown, Poughkeepsie, etc.. are 100+ miles away.. and that's not that far. A guy might Move for ya.

I think you're limiting yourself.

no photo
Sun 09/27/09 04:38 PM
Fashion does jump around quite a bit. The style per-se is more for me, though.

These clothes echo a timelessness for ethics, values, and class. I think a man with a smoking jacket and a cigarette holder says "class" more than anything.

Obviously these are my own ideas, and I'm not trying to put them onto anyone else..

I'm not just into what's current. I've liked this kind of stuff, as far back as I can remember. :) So the idea of it being in-style or not, is a moot point.. (yet a valid one).

no photo
Sun 09/27/09 04:32 PM

Hello guys & girls.

I thought I'd begin a thread to see just how many, if any of you are into vintage clothing and styles?

I'm talking Golden Age here, 30's, 40's, 50's.

I've always been one for the olden days. Yet I'm doing my dating in the internet? Feels kinda weird, I must say.

I want to wear double-breasted pinstripe suits on a daily basis with a good looking Bogart-type Fedora (higher back brim, lower front brim), and a nice wide tie with some nice patent leather shoes, preferably white & black wing-tipped.

Yet I'll sit down and watch Star Trek at night. Strange, huh?

I suppose it just reveals that its easy to take comfort in the past and look forward to the future when present-day kinda seems to linger along with a rotten stench! lol

Any thoughts on the subject of bringing some class back to our everyday wardrobes?

I had thought I was alone, but I stumbled on a forum-community called "The Fedora Lounge" (you can google it). and it seems like this stuff is becoming more popular out on the horizon.

-Pete

no photo
Mon 09/21/09 01:59 AM
crushing? wtf does this even mean?

no photo
Mon 09/21/09 01:52 AM
Mj?

And I thought this was going to have something to do with Michael Jackson.

thk god it doesn't

no photo
Tue 09/08/09 10:21 AM
from LI and I hate it!!

no photo
Mon 06/15/09 04:57 AM
First you need to be within reach of someone to "ask out".

no photo
Wed 06/10/09 12:11 AM
What about when you go to a gathering where you DONT belong, but fit right in, it scares you?

For instance.. I'm not an addict. BUT I can go to an NA meeting and.. get along with everybody just great!!