Community > Posts By > diondionne

no photo
Tue 05/12/09 08:37 PM

Prove to me that you exist.

Apologies if this has been discussed before and I've missed it.

Any time I've been challenged with this, my response is usually "prove to me that I don't".

Nicely stated! Brevity is the soul of wit.

To wit: "This above all: to thine own self be true, and it must follow, as the night the day, thou canst not then be false to any man."

no photo
Sun 05/03/09 09:23 AM
Someone asked what the point of this discussion is, and I guess I am wondering the same thing. Are we asking: what are the implications of accepting the belief that other animal species have self-awareness? Do we think this belief should influence our relationships with other animals? Do you think we should re-examine whether or not we should eat them, use them to make lipstick and a multitude of other commercial products?

no photo
Sun 05/03/09 08:49 AM
"So what separates humans from animals?"

Well, humans are animals, aren't we? Of the Hominid Species, actually. We are differentiated from other animals by the size of our brain, opposable thumbs, bipedalism, and that we forge tools. We also create art and infrastructure, ponder the meaning of life, and as the character, Clairee Belcher in the movie Steel Magnolias so succinctly asserts, "The only thing that separates us from the animals is our ability to accessorize."

no photo
Sat 05/02/09 07:31 AM
Nirvana - Jesus Don't Want Me For A Sunbeam
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdyqXSa5Bzc&feature=related

...Jesus wants us all for sunbeams. :smile: