Community > Posts By > Cymbeline

no photo
Mon 04/27/09 06:04 PM
I read a Stephen King short story and I cant recall the title but it was only a short one and not a full length novel. This crazy guy kidnaps this woman and she is a strict vegan. He locks her in a cellar with only a table and a nice meal on a plate for her to eat but its a bloody, rare steak. So of course she wont eat that. But he leaves it there and wont give her anything else so she is forced to either wait longer and longer until the steak is going bad and crawling with maggots or eat it. She ends up eating it with the maggots. Survival instinct is an amazing thing.

no photo
Mon 04/27/09 02:33 PM
I think I could eat a human that has already passed away. Being frozen would help immensely. I saw "Alive" years ago and from what I remember, they actually take the little bits of flesh and roll in snow so they could swallow it whole like a pill. That way they would get the nourishment but not vomit it back up from the taste/thought.

But they only did that at first and then later they show them chomping it like it was file minion steak and they start fighting over it. Its amazing how the bodies' survival instinct kicks in.

The drive to eat in humans is the strongest biological need that we posses. It even surpasses procreation and sex.

no photo
Mon 04/27/09 01:42 PM
Well it seems "old" and "new" can be a little bit misleading in terms of descriptive value. What many refer to as the "New Age" spirituality movement is essentially nothing more than a re-observance of some very old deities that predate the god of Abraham by thousands of years.

I think the religions such as Christianity, Judaism and Islam are falling by the wayside simply because people are looking for a different focus. Pagan Gods/Goddesses tend to be earth centered and the focus lies there instead of the heavens. Many of these religions place an emphasis on reincarnation and returning to earth so there is more of a sense of urgency to nurture and care for this planet that we all share.

Not necessarily a bad thing when looked at in this light and if its good for the earth, its good for us.

no photo
Mon 04/27/09 07:48 AM
Welcome to the site. I dont have anything to say in regards to your spirituality nor your sexual orientation. Its very possible a conservative Christian might have a problem with it however. Good luck and best wishes to you.

no photo
Mon 04/27/09 04:52 AM
Is Mothman supposed to me more insect like or reptilian? In photos, depending on the artist, he can go either way.

no photo
Sun 04/26/09 05:28 AM
Just curious, was creation vs. evolution ever made clear? bigsmile

no photo
Sun 04/26/09 04:46 AM
Well according to what I could gleen from Dreamer's writings,the actual holiday Easter is pagan in origin. That is why it has all of the Pagan symbolism associated with it. But the Passover aspect of it came much later and is essentially the Christian observance. It was a process of "absorption" that took place not unlike Yule/Christmas. In fact that was the exact same situation by all accounts. These earlier Pagan observances of the solstices and Equinoxes would gradually be melded with the essential portions of the Christian religion.

So you take the two, mix them up and poof! You get Jesus on a cross with painted eggs and bunnies and ham supper. bigsmile huh

no photo
Sat 04/25/09 07:07 PM
No need for that. I swear I was agreeing with you and I never meant to imply that Charles Darwin was the champion of atheism. I think that was the misunderstanding. I never meant that. Peace. flowers

no photo
Sat 04/25/09 06:46 PM

What Is an agnostic?

An agnostic thinks it impossible to know the truth in matters such as God and the future life with which Christianity and other religions are concerned. Or, if not impossible, at least impossible at the present time.

Are agnostics atheists?

No. An atheist, like a Christian, holds that we can know whether or not there is a God. The Christian holds that we can know there is a God; the atheist, that we can know there is not. The Agnostic suspends judgment, saying that there are not sufficient grounds either for affirmation or for denial.

So then Charles Darwin was not a Christian if he was Agnostic. Am I missing something? When did I say he was a staunch Atheist? In that time period Im not even certain if they had the label "Atheist" yet.
flowerforyou But he wasnt hostile to Christians or any other faith.flowerforyou He was merely a man of science.flowerforyou

Oh, you mean he didnt chase down Christians with a pitchfork in the middle of the night between his studies? Okay my bad. laugh Seriously though, I didnt say that.

no photo
Sat 04/25/09 06:41 PM

What Is an agnostic?

An agnostic thinks it impossible to know the truth in matters such as God and the future life with which Christianity and other religions are concerned. Or, if not impossible, at least impossible at the present time.

Are agnostics atheists?

No. An atheist, like a Christian, holds that we can know whether or not there is a God. The Christian holds that we can know there is a God; the atheist, that we can know there is not. The Agnostic suspends judgment, saying that there are not sufficient grounds either for affirmation or for denial.

So then Charles Darwin was not a Christian if he was Agnostic. Am I missing something? When did I say he was a staunch Atheist? In that time period Im not even certain if they had the label "Atheist" yet.

no photo
Sat 04/25/09 06:36 PM
I dont even think they had a name for Atheism (yet) Mirror Mirror. You are reading things in that I never said. These are the only points I made:

A. Charles Darwin never "repented" on his death bed.

B. Charles Darwin never converted on his death bed.

Thats all I ever said Mirror.

no photo
Sat 04/25/09 06:28 PM

Gosh Mirror Mirror, calm down. Im on your side. Peace. tears

glasses HERE ARE THE FACTS ABOUT DARWIN.glasses THIS IS NOT MY OPINION.glasses JUST THE HISTORICAL FACTS.glasses

:smile: Darwin was a member of the Church of England although his family had a Unitarian background,and he is known to have embraced Agnosticism after 1851:smile:

glasses His personal beliefs did not have a role in his scientific theories.glasses He used the scientific method.glasses There is no room for personal views in the scientific method.glasses

And where did I ever disagree with this?

no photo
Sat 04/25/09 06:25 PM
Edited by Cymbeline on Sat 04/25/09 06:27 PM

There was no indication that he ever repented or embraced Christianity. All known accounts actually dispel this rumor.
:smile: Didn't you read what I said? frustrated He was a member of the Church of England most of his life.:smile: He was an Agnostic. frustrated He said publicly that he believed in something.:smile: But it is irrelevant when it comes to the theory of natural selection and evolution because his books were of science.glasses ORGANIZED ACCORDING TO THE SCIENTIFIC METHOD.glasses

And an Agnostic is? It isnt a Christian now is it? As I stated earlier, for a person during this time period to suddenly denounce Christianity would have been asking for a boatload of trouble. He probably would have been at odds with the very people who allowed him the ability to publish his research.

no photo
Sat 04/25/09 06:24 PM

smitten Mirror is so passionate smitten

He is! He's a feisty guy! laugh

no photo
Sat 04/25/09 06:22 PM

There was no indication that he ever repented or embraced Christianity. All known accounts actually dispel this rumor.

frustrated I never said he did.slaphead I never said he didnt.slaphead I am saying that it is irrelevant.slaphead

I was going back and forth with Sharpshooter though, not you.

no photo
Sat 04/25/09 06:21 PM
Gosh Mirror Mirror, calm down. Im on your side. Peace. tears

no photo
Sat 04/25/09 06:14 PM

no photo
Sat 04/25/09 06:10 PM

CHARLES DARWINS THEORY HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH ATHEISM OR CHRISTIANITY

IT IS JUST A WORK OF SCIENCE

AND NOTHING ELSE

I never said differently? I was disagreeing with Sharpshooter's proposal that he needed to repent or that he converted on his deathbed...

no photo
Sat 04/25/09 06:07 PM
How is anything I stated in disagreement with that?

no photo
Sat 04/25/09 05:29 PM
That is so "Heavy Metal" laugh