Community > Posts By > BrenRhys

BrenRhys's photo
Tue 04/07/09 10:17 PM
Hmm.. I have met a few people of both sexes very sensitive about their middle name!

I share mine pretty freely, though.. it's in my username!

BrenRhys's photo
Tue 04/07/09 05:55 PM
I brightened up the image quite a bit! Thank you for the advice all :)

I'm torn on the list thing.. I don't feel like I'm being picky and singling in on a particular woman. I feel like the list is pretty general and that most people would fit them. They're the kinds of things that are important and possibly even deal breakers. It's not like I am listing physical features.

The pictures are over a year old, and I've since grown a full goatee.. I'll post an image or two shortly and y'all can tell me whether I should keep it or not :-D

Thanks againnn!

~Brendan

BrenRhys's photo
Tue 04/07/09 11:26 AM
Not sure what the no games comment means - I'm definitely not trying to play them! Does it come off that way?

I added a few new pics.. I know a couple of them are still dark, but I found a lighter one! Thank you for letting me know

BrenRhys's photo
Tue 04/07/09 03:01 AM
Hey all -

I'm looking for some serious profile advice. I don't want to come off as eccentric, but I really don't want to look dull..

Do y'all have any general profile tips that would get me a bit more interest? Along the same lines, what do you all do for your messages? I've sent a few and they've even been read, but the women haven't even looked at my profile! Clearly I'm just not hooking any attention with them :(

Thanks!

BrenRhys's photo
Mon 04/06/09 06:21 PM
Also works with Potatoes if you par-boil them. Don't boil them to mush, but soften them up first or the soup will have to cook for days. (Had a bad experience with that one)

And if you add less milk, it'll end up like a chowder!

BrenRhys's photo
Sat 04/04/09 02:24 AM
Edited by BrenRhys on Sat 04/04/09 02:24 AM
Omelet ideas here are awesome! Found my new place of inspiration :-D

My personal fav way to have eggs are to coddle them to about medium boiled!

Put eggs in pan, fill water to just above the eggs, put on burner on HIGH uncovered, once water reaches boil (like literally the second it boils, after it simmers) cover pan and remove from burner, let sit for 6-7 minutes, remove eggs from water and shock them (in icewater or under running cold water - it helps separate the shells from the whites), and enjoy with a spoon and salt right out of the shell!

Sounds complicated but it involves very little work, and you can make a dozen of them at a time.

Really good latenight snack, and though I wouldn't recommend it, you can also coddle eggs in a water boiler! That's right, you can plop eggs into a water boiler, since they shut themselves off at boil. It's hard to get them soft and medium boiled, but if all else fails, you can do it.

I wouldn't recommend it though. Calcium buildup blows on those things.

BrenRhys's photo
Sat 04/04/09 02:16 AM
Yeast doesn't really react to splenda.. it does react to the dextrose in splenda, but it's pretty negligent. The reason some recipes don't add sugar is because the sugar is just there to speed the yeast reaction up. There are natural sugars in the bread dough without adding any sucrose (table sugar) to it!

BrenRhys's photo
Sat 04/04/09 02:08 AM
Hey guys :) First post for me.. friend directed me to the site after watching me struggle with being single for a while.

I accidentally clicked the "community" button, and this specific forum caught my eye! Let's just say if I could marry cooking and start a family, I would not be on this site ;) Actually on second thought that sounds pretty American Pie. I just mean that cooking is my first love.

Anyhow.. onto the recipe. The measurements are all rough. I like every bisque ending up a little differently.

(Serves 5)

Ingredients:
1/2 to 2/3 quart of milk.
1/2 cup heavy cream.
6 tablespoons of butter.
6 tablespoons of flour. (equal parts butter and flour)
1 medium-to-large onion chopped medium-rough.(yellow or white.. stay away from red).
2-4 tablespoons of a really good dry sherry (depending on your company.. maybe more ;) )
2 tablespoons paprika for color
Salt
Pepper
Lobster/Crab/Shrimp uncooked (or if canned, cook for less time) and chopped into bite sized pieces. Any of these will work - I've made each one at least once.

Cooking:
1. Melt all of the butter in a large pot on medium-high heat (like 7 or 8). Once the butter begins to bubble, add all of your onions and stir occasionally.

2. Once onions are tender and slightly translucent, plop in your flour and stir vigorously. It should look almost like macadamia nut cookie dough. Stir constantly until the mixture (known to the French and Cajun as a "Roux" - used to make gumbo, too!) turns a nice golden brown.

3. Once the roux is at the proper color, slowly add in your milk one cup at a time, stirring until completely constituted before adding the next cup. Add in your cream halfway through the milk.

4. Salt and pepper very well. The soup is pretty flavorless right now, and it's your job to give it some life. Taste it constantly, so you don't over-spice it.

5. Add sherry and paprika. Stir well and let heat up to thicken. If soup begins to over-thicken, just add more milk, and re-season.

6. Add in your lobster/crab/shrimp, and watch carefully. It's very easy for those to overheat and turn into rubber. Tasty rubber, but still rubber.

That's my bisque! Well.. most of it. I left out a couple of my personal ingredients, since they're my signature. The whole point is to give you a basic skeleton to work with.

A few warnings:

1. Try not to let it boil once you get the milk in, or that pan will take you years to clean.
2. I wouldn't recommend any other alcohols. If you are convinced you've found one that would work, try a little mixture in a measuring cup instead of gambling with the whole pot.
3. Make sure you have a can opener. Opening a can of crab with a screw driver is entertaining for your guests, but frustrating for you!
4. Bring help! This dish is tough to cook alone because of the mixing and measuring that needs to be done. Plus, it might make a fun date dish to cook!

I hope that I don't look like an idiot posting this. I have to admit I didn't actually look at any of the threads, and I hope this wasn't some kind of weird innuendo :-p

~Brendan