Mon 03/05/12 03:14 AM
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.”

- Albert Einstein

carra63's photo
Mon 03/05/12 03:08 AM
you easily miss your partner for no reason at all

carra63's photo
Mon 03/05/12 03:03 AM
FACTS: Now, at least according to a circulating email, onions that are out to get us! And the warning has nothing to do with fouling our breath and destroying our social life. Raw onions are supposedly a “magnet for bacteria” and should not be stored in the fridge even for brief periods. And watch out for those onions on your hot dog, the message warns. Better to stay away from such raw onions unless you are keen to explore the protective properties of your immune system.

Alright then, let’s take a look at the science here. The fact is that onions are not especially prone to bacterial contamination. In fact, quite the opposite. Onions feature a variety of sulphur compounds that have antibacterial activity. Furthermore, cutting an onion triggers the release of enzymes that initiate a chemical reaction producing propenesulfenic acid, which in turn deconmposes to yield sulphuric acid. It is the sulphuric acid that makes you cry by irritating the eyes! But sulphuric acid also inhibits the growth of bacteria. Also, a cut onion's surface dries out quickly, reducing the moisture that is needed for bacteria to multiply. And of course, to have bacteria multiply, you need some source of bacteria in the first place.

Where would these come from? Bacteria are not spontaneously generated. They have to be somehow present to start with. Cutting boards and dirty hands are a possible source, but food spoilage bacteria do not
become airborne, you need contact.

- Joe Schwarcz

http://pass-forward.blogspot.com/2010/08/facts-and-fiction-onions.html

carra63's photo
Mon 03/05/12 02:56 AM
The Filipina Attributes–The Good, the Bad, and The Ugly

What is it exactly about a Filipino woman that attracts men to them, particularly foreigners? I have a number of male non-Filipino friends, and with the inclusion of my own husband, I must acknowledge that they have been unanimous in saying that the Filipina’s innate desire to serve and care for the one she loves is at the top of their list. It’s not that they are more in need of a maid than a girlfriend, but that it is one quality they hardly see anymore among the women in their own country. Many of them also stressed the undeniable ability of a Filipina to look way younger than her actual age…which is, to them, a good thing, I suppose ’cause then the Filipina always looks prettier and more fresh than most women of other nationality. As best as I possibly can, I’ll list down the most outstanding qualities of a Filipino woman, those that will naturally remind you about why you fell in love with her in the first place, along with the not-so-good, and all the way to those annoying qualities that perhaps you have already discovered or noticed by now, and has been living with or enduring for quite some time (LOL). Now, let me just remind you all that these qualities may or may not be evident in your Filipina girl–it all depends on her upbringing and other influences in her life. Furthermore, you may view these qualities as either good or bad, it really all depends then on whether the quality compliments yours and what your specific needs are. The qualities listed below are those most commonly seen among Filipinas:

1. Finds joy in serving – Most Filipina girls (especially those whose families still observe and practice Filipino values and traditions) have been raised by their mothers to embrace and accept servitude as part of their calling in life as women. It begins with their training on basic household chores such as cooking, doing the laundry, cleaning, and even babysitting their younger siblings. It is believed by traditional Filipino families that women who have not mastered these household chores—cooking being the most important of all–have no business getting married.
2. Values education highly – The typical Filipino family views education as one’s ticket to a better and more stable future, so parents raise their children with this value deeply etched in their core being.
3. Family-oriented – The Filipinos most likely have gotten this from the Chinese and Spanish who both greatly influenced our culture.
4. Speaks better English than most other non-English speaking women around the world (especially true for the Manila-born and raised)
5. Puts a huge importance on grooming and hygiene
6. Charming
7. Respectful to her elders – Again, this comes from the Chinese and Spanish influences
8. Thrifty (influenced mostly by a poverty-stricken background)
9. Ambitious
10. Hard-working
11. Multi-talented
12. Capable of multi-tasking
13. Resourceful
14. Feisty – Oh yes! The Filipina can be soft spoken and humble…but don’t underestimate her! Behind the angelic charm is a true fighter! Yes, the true Filipina seldom starts a fight but doesn’t back out from one either, if challenged or threatened!
15. Intuitive
16. Highly sociable – The Filipina is extremely friendly and approachable by nature
17. Creative
18. Highly opinionated – Some Filipinas will have no difficulty speaking out their minds, but others will choose to keep silent in order to avoid conflict. However, even if your Filipina girl is more of the latter, she will still find someone with whom she is comfortable enough around, and she will express her own opinions with as much passion as the outspoken Filipina girl.
19. Argumentative – This is true for many Filipinas and once again, this is dependent on her background and how she was raised.
20. A loyal friend – This is true for all Filipinas, whether she has many friends or she just has one or two.
21. Over protective – This can be good, but misguided, this quality can be very destructive to your relationship.
22. Adventurous
23. Outgoing
24. Passionate
25. Religious – Whatever the religion is, it is extremely important that you get to know and understand what her (and her family’s) beliefs are, because religion (or faith) is one thing that most Filipinas will never be willing to compromise on. So better if you agree on your religious beliefs to begin with to avoid future conflict and also to avoid confusing your children.
26. Affectionate
27. Romantic
28. Emotional – Filipinos are a sucker for love stories, happy endings, love songs and anything that can make you cry!
29. Over-reacts at times – This also has something to do with how she has been raised.
30. Ultra-sensitive at times – The Filipinos (in general) wear their hearts on their sleeves! (We will talk about this further later)
31. Possessive – see #21
32. Generous – The Filipina will give and give until it hurts (so to speak)
33. Conservative – Again, this depends on how she was brought up and what traditional values were instilled in her.
34. Traditional
35. Competitive
36. Avoids confrontations (most of the time)
37. Tends to worry so much about the future
38. Persistent
39. Sentimental – which is why she finds it hard to throw away the box and the paper you wrapped her birthday gift with…and the table napkins from your first date in that upscale resto…and the rocks she collected from your first trip to Boracay (and to Palawan, and so on and so forth).
40. Authoritative – If the Filipina girl grew up in a home where her mother “wore the pants”, she will most likely have the tendency to adapt the same behavior and mentality. If the man she ends up marrying turns out to be lacking in initiative, intellectual, moral and financial capabilities, she will take control. The Filipina girl is competitive by nature and is a born leader so this “authoritative” quality is just an accident waiting for a place to happen.
41. Puts a great importance on gratitude – So much so that it is often taken advantage of by others (we will also talk about this further later on)
42. Crab-mentality – This is one of the ugly Filipino attributes, which is rooted on jealousy and envy (which are both sins according to the Bible). This simply means that she can’t stand seeing somebody else reaping all the good things in life, so she finds ways to destroy that person. Amongst women, gossiping and spreading malicious rumors are the most common ways to accomplish this. If your Filipina girl had been raised right, then the only thing you will need to worry about is other people attacking her and trying to bring her down just because she is dating a white man like you–which, to some, means a shining, shimmering ticket to the Land of Milk and Honey!
43. Camarederie (Pakikisama) – Misguided, this can also be destructive to your relationship since the tendency here is for your Filipina girl to cover up her friends’ flaws or wrongdoings (and vice versa) to prove how much the friendship means to either of them.
44. Procrastination (Mañana Habit)
45. Tardiness – Your Filipina girl (unless she was raised by her parents differently) will always be late to meetings, dates and appointments. The things she will blame her tardiness on will vary but no matter what you do, even if you move your appointment an hour later, she will still be late. This is a “nationwide” character flaw which is made even worse by those who do not even bother to inform you ahead of time that they are going to be late.
46. Flirtatious
47. “Historical” – The Filipina has a tendency to dig up past issues in order to stress a point in an argument.
48. Tends to be obsessed about impressing other people – This has something to do with a pressing need for acceptance. This may either be modified or amplified, depending on how she felt loved and accepted by her own family.
49. Tolerant – This is often confused with “patience”. Though patience is another common Filipina attribute, tolerance is a more outstanding quality. The Filipina has an exceptional ability to tolerate lying, cheating and oftentimes verbally/physically abusive partners, so much so that no matter how often the couple splits up, they manage to get back together time and time again, it blows the mind! Again, I blame the upbringing here. The Filipina who was taught by her parents never to “tolerate” such behavior or treatment from anyone will not possess this rather detrimental quality.
50. Thoughtful – The Filipina will always remember birthdays, anniversaries, and other special occasions you can possibly mark on your calendar, and will always go out of her way to get you a gift, no matter how small. “It’s the thought that counts” is one of the Filipina girl’s favorite motto in life, and she really does make it count!

http://understandingthefilipina.wordpress.com/2010/03/08/the-filipina-attributes-the-good-the-bad-and-the-ugly/

carra63's photo
Mon 03/05/12 02:51 AM
Filipinas when painted in a canvass would truly make a masterpiece stand-out, for their enormous charm is irresistible and their beauty is at par best with...
the other lass in other countries if not beyond compare. Their smile will indeed lighten up your day as if they put you in clouds with a very light feeling, dismantling your worries for a great while, could uplift your spirits and leave a lasting good marks in your mind.

Filipinas’ sex appeal is capable of making you helpless as it captivates a heart as if you’re in a state of trance, thanks to their black and shiny hair that truly makes head turn, a face that is truly a work of art, and splendid eyes that could melt you like an ice cream amid the blistering heat of the sun. Filipinas are truly a walking gem whose glitters will indeed last for the lifetime.

The physical attributes of Filipinas are complemented with their priceless inner features. Filipinas are beautiful inside and outside, a rare combination in a modern woman, a double trouble that will surely make mincemeat of a lad longing for someone to be his sweetheart.

Filipina’s attitude and character are a cut above the rest. They are meek and amiable, but can be strong and persevering at times. Filipinas have warmth, sincerity and compassion, valuable things that makes them great friends capable of giving worthwhile companionship.

Filipinas are articulate and equipped with sense of humor and this makes them mingle with anybody else with relative ease.

With these great things that speak so much of every Filipinas, many foreigners go gaga and agog in courting and eventually marrying a lady from the Philippines, to be their loving wife and lifetime partner.

A Filipina wife is well-known for forming a great half of what we called a couple, who would use all of her precious time tending to the needs of her family, although strong and brave, will serve her husband ala king.

Filipinas are humble and loving creatures, they would do all things to make marriage flourish without let-up. While rearing kids to be responsible citizens, she would give her all-out motivation, thorough guidance and never wavering support to her kids to help them acquire education, a priceless possession Filipinas aims with so much zeal and passion.

Sweet, caring and supportive, a Filipina wife will not dominate a household, she would respect her husband’s decisions and goals, and will stay besides him through thick and thin. A Filipina can also step up when a need for this measure arises, she would seek employment or engage in activities related to business to secure ways of earning decent income to make both ends meet. Most Filipinas are highly educated and they’re tailored to earn income for her family if needed. Although most Filipinas are gentle they can be ferocious so please do not abuse and take advantage of them, for they are capable of defending their grounds well. Filipinas are very loving and affectionate and it is just right to shower them with love and give them what is due.

If you fall in love with a Filipina, I may count you as fortunate for you have a potential treasure to keep, a crown that will surely make you very proud and live the rest of your life in harmony and immense love.

My tenth hub in the HubChallenge... (second batch)

http://generalhowitzer.hubpages.com

carra63's photo
Mon 03/05/12 02:47 AM
Edited by carra63 on Mon 03/05/12 02:47 AM
hard working

carra63's photo
Mon 03/05/12 02:22 AM
friendly

carra63's photo
Mon 03/05/12 01:30 AM

ALL MY PRAISE

I will follow You through green pastures
And sing hallelujah to Your Name
I will follow You through dark disaster
And sing hallelujah through the pain

And even in the shadow of death
I will praise You
And even in the valley I will say
Holy, My God
You are worthy of all my praise
Holy, My God

You are seated on your throne in heaven
And You see all of us down here
And You have promised You will not abandon
So I shall not fear

And even in the shadow of death
I will praise You
And even in the valley I will say

Holy, My God
Holy, My God

You made every star
And You taught it how to shine
You knew my name before there was time
And all this was just part of Your glorious design
Hallelujah, Hallelujah

Holy, My God
Holy, My God

Holy, My God
Holy, My God

Thank you carra63!
Welcome to Mingle2 Christian Singles Forum!

May the words of your mouth

and the meditations of your heart

be acceptable in God's sight!

He is truly our Redeemer!!!

thanks

carra63's photo
Mon 03/05/12 12:52 AM
A happier meal? McDonald's ...

A happier meal? McDonald's plans to shrink French fry portions and add apples to every Happy Meal

Changes: Children can now expect less fries and a portion of fruit or veg in their Happy Meal from September onwards as McDonald's battles to counter childhood obesity

McDonald's is revamping its Happy Meals by shrinking portion sizes and apple slices.

The Oak Brook-based chain announced the changes today and plans to have the new meals in restaurants from September.

The company, often blamed for its contribution to America's childhood obesity epidemic, is attempting to make its children's meals healthier.
It originally planned to ditch fries altogether, replacing them with fruit - typically an apple - or a vegetable.

But children - and their parents - were not happy, so the fries stayed put.
'People come to McDonald's and, first of all, they want the choice and the control to be theirs, but their expectation of a Happy Meal does include a fry,' Jan Fields, president of McDonald's USA told the Chicago Tribune.
'When we did it without fries, there was a huge disappointment factor.'
The old Happy Meal with Chicken McNuggets weighed in at 530 calories and 23g of fat. its new equivalent will have 435 calories with 17g of fat.
Depending on the combination, the new Happy Meal with have an average 20 per cent less calories in it, according to the fast food chain.
Sodium is still a bit of a problem however. The old meal boasted 550mg, while the new one has 600mg.

Speaking out: McDonald's president, Jan Fields, said it was a 'great time' for the company to introduce the changes

However McDonald's said it is working on reducing levels of sodium across all its offerings.

The French fry cartons in the new Happy Meal will contain 1.1oz of potatoes, down from 2.4oz. Apple slices portions will also be reduced to 1.2oz, down from 3.1oz.
U.S. customers can already choose between apples or fries. But only about 11 percent of customers were ordering apples, the restaurant said.

The meal will also allow parents to choose a 1 per cent milk or fat-free chocolate milk.
Children can still opt for soda, but parents must request it. Parents can also double up on apple slices instead of a portion of fries.

Approximately 17 per cent (or 12.5million) of U.S. children and adolescents aged two to 19 are obese and one in five pre-school children are overweight or obese.

Although the company says it cannot be the only chain to make changes in order to have an impact, there is no question it is one of the main leaders.
McDonald's estimates the average U.S. child eats at its restaurants three times each month.
President of the company, Jan Fields, said it was a 'great time' for McDonald's to introduce the changes.
CURRENT HAPPY MEAL

With Chicken McNuggets (and small fries)

Chicken McNuggets (4pc) Calories: 190
Fat (g): 12
Sodium (mg) 360
Sugars (g): 0
Small Fries:
Calories: 230
Fat: 11
Sodium: 160
Sugars: 0

Soda (12 fl.oz)
Calories: 110
Fat: 0
Sodium: 30
Sugars: 28

Total
Calories: 530
Fat: 23
Sodium: 550
Sugars: 28

NEW HAPPY MEAL

With Chicken McNuggets (and chocolate milk)

Chicken McNuggets (4pc)
Calories: 190
Fat (g): 12
Sodium (mg) 360
Sugars (g): 0

Kid's Fries:
Calories: 100
Fat: 5
Sodium: 70
Sugars: 0

Happy Apples (1/4 cup)
Calories: 15
Sodium: 0
Sugars: 3

Nonfat chocolate milk
Calories: 130
Sodium: 170
Sugars: 21

Total
Calories: 435
Fat: 17
Sodium: 600
Sugars: 24

Speaking on Good Morning America, Ms Fields said: 'We're offering fruit to every child so it's automatic. We recognise the importance of fruit in a child's diet.
'100 per cent of our national advertising to children will include a nutritional announcement with it,' she added.
'We only advertise the healthy items in the Happy Meal.'
When asked whether the company should ditch the all important lure of the Happy Meal - the coveted toy - Ms Fields came out of corporate mode for just a moment.
'The toy's an important part of the experience, c'mon,' she said.
Geeta Maker-Clark, a family physician at NorthShore University HealthSystem, told the Chicago Tribune: 'I applaud any move toward including more whole food into a heavily processed meal.
'Bringing a whole food into it shifts the pendulum toward something more healthy, and I applaud the decreased portion sizes.'
But Darren Tristano, executive vice president of Technomic, a Chicago-based restaurant industry consultancy isn't convinced the changes will have much impact.
'Consumers are going to chose what they want,' he said.
'I think you're going to get a good reaction from kids who like apples. But ultimately I think we're going to see a good bit of apples wasted from kids who just refuse to eat them.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk

carra63's photo
Mon 03/05/12 12:45 AM
The Black Fruits

The black pigment is a result of a combination of several pigments that together absorb all colors. This is how these ten fruits get their dark coloring. The color refers to either the skin or flesh.

Black Currant
Scientific Name: Ribes nigrum
Origin: native to central and northern Europe and northern Asia
Description: 1 cm diameter;glossy, very dark purple, almost black
Taste: very sweet and sharp;lightly flowery fragrance with pungent, almost musky flavour

Mulberry
Scientific Name: Morus
Origin: majority of the species are native to Asia
Description: a collective fruit, 2–3 cm (0.79–1.2 in) long; skin starts white or green to pale yellow (with pink edges) which turns red when they start to ripen then becomes dark purple to black
Taste: tart, sweetandjuicy
Other Colors: white, pink and red

Java Plum
Scientific Name: Syzygium cumini
Origin: Native to Bangladesh, India, Nepal, Pakistan and Indonesia.
Common Names: java plum, duhat, black plum, jambul, Portuguese plum
Description: oblong, ovoid shaped; skin coloring starts green and turns pink as it begins to ripen then becomes deep red to black when fully ripe; purple colored flesh
Taste: sweet, mildly sour with dry puckering mouthfeel (astringent) flavor; it leaves the tongue a purple coloring
Other Colors: white

Black Olives
Scientific Name: Olea europaea
Origin: native to the Meditteranean, Asia and Africa
Description: 1–2.5 centimetres (0.39–0.98 in) long; The difference between green and black olives are the maturity. Unripe olives are green, while ripe olives are black.
Taste: uncured olives are intensely bitter
Other Colors: green

Black Mission Figs
Scientific Name: Ficus carica“Mission”
Common Names: mission fig, black mission and franciscana
Description: tear-drop shaped, thick black skin and reddish flesh; skin often cracks when ripe
Taste: lusciously sweet; crunchy seeds
Other Colors: dark purple

Black Grapes
Scientific Name: Vitis
Description: a prolate spheroid fruit with semi-transluscent flesh covered with smooth skin
Taste: crunchy, dry, sweet and tart flavor
Other Colors: green, yellow, orange, pink, dark blue or crimson

Blackberries
Scientific Name: Rubus fruticosus
Origin: nativethroughout the temperate northern hemisphere and South America
Description: a very dark purple aggregate fruit with smooth fragile skin and greenish-white core; young berries are red and hard which turns black and shiny when they ripen
Taste: wine-like; sweet

Black Sapote
Scientific Name: Diospyros digyna
Origin: a black persimmon native to eastern Mexico and Central America
Common Names: zapote prieto, chocolate pudding fruit
Description: 5–10 cm (2.0–3.9 in) in diameter; looks like a medium-sized tomato; the olive skin is inedible, turns deep yellow-green when ripe; the ripe pulp has a color similar to chocolate pudding
Taste: sweet, reminiscent of chocolate pudding

Black Raspberries
Scientific Name: Rubus occidentalis
Origin: eastern North America
Description: round-shaped druplets with hollow core; 12-15 cm in diameter with very dark purple-black fruits
Taste: sweet; better tasting than red raspberries
Other Colors: yellow

Black Cherries
Scientific Name: Prunus serotina
Origin: native to eastern North America and south Eastern United States
Common Names: rum cherry, mountain black cherryandwild black cherry
Description: 1 cm in diameter, shiny, smooth and globular; starts green then turns red and becomes black when ripe

http://scienceray.com/biology

carra63's photo
Mon 03/05/12 12:39 AM
What’s That Glaze on Your Vitamins?

Many people may not be aware that the glaze that covers some of their favorite products – including vitamins, pharmaceuticals, candy and even some fruit – may actually be made from shellac; a resin made from the secretions of the female lac insect.
When used in food and confections, shellac has the food additive number E904, and is described on food labels as ‘confectioner’s glaze’, ‘confectioner’s resin’, ‘resinous glaze’, ‘candy glaze’, ‘pure food glaze’ and ‘natural glaze’.
The main uses of shellac in confectionery are to do with coating chocolate goods, such as candy-covered nuts and raisins, and similar products. But what many people may not realize is that it’s also used as a coating on some nutritional supplements, medicines, fruit, and even coffee beans.…

Laccifer lacca is a small insect about the size and color of an apple seed, which swarms on certain trees in India and Thailand. During the larval stage of its life-cycle, the lac insect creates a hard, waterproof, communal protective shell as a cocoon in which to mature and then mate.
The encrusted resin that forms this shell is scraped off the branches where the insects nest. This raw material, known as ‘sticklac’, as well as being the basis for shellac, is also used for the production of ‘lac dye’, a red pigment from the crushed bodies of the insects, much like cochineal or carmine. If lac dye is the primary product being made, the lac resin is harvested before the males have emerged from their cocoons, and the sticklac is dried in the sun to kill the beetles.
As well as being a traditional cosmetic in India, lac dye is primarily used to dye leather, silk and wool. However, it is also used as a coloring in some foods and soft drinks. According to one manufacturer’s website, “Lac dye can be used in juice drinks, carbonated drinks, wine, candy, jam and sauce.”
Some sources say that approximately 300,000 lac insects are killed to produce 1kg of lac, and that annual production is estimated at 20,000 tons globally. The main importers of lac products are Egypt, Germany, Indonesia, Italy and the United States.

Shellac is also used as a pharmaceutical glaze, and serves as a coating material for tablets and capsules, particularly in time-released or delayed-action pills, since it stops the pill from breaking down in the stomach.
Also known as ‘gum lac’, shellac also finds its way into household products such as sealing wax, adhesives, polish and varnish; in cosmetics such as hairsprays, mascara, nail polish, perfume and lipstick (and yes, there are vegan alternatives for all of these); as a binding agent in printing inks and paints; and in agriculture – coating urea to produce a slow releasing fertilizer.
Is there a vegan alternative to shellac? Of course! Zein, a corn protein, is a competitive non-animal-based product. Pure zein is clear, odorless, tasteless, hard, water-insoluble, and edible. It is already used as a coating for candy, nuts, fruit, pills, and other encapsulated foods and drugs. In the United States, it may also be labeled as ‘confectioner’s glaze’. NOTE: As well as sometimes being made from shellac, confectioner’s glaze can also contain beeswax.
So, what do you do if you want to know whether that shine on your candy comes from an animal or a plant? Call the company, of course! Not only does making that call give you a definitive answer as to the origin of the ingredient, but it also lets the company know that there is an increasing demand for vegan alternatives to shellac and other animal-based ingredients that are, frankly, archaic.

http://www.care2.com/greenliving

carra63's photo
Mon 03/05/12 12:03 AM
Types of Seaweed

Brown Algae
Arame - A Japanese sea vegetable, with a mild flavor, arame is dried and cut into thin strands, it can be added to soups or served as a vegetable side dish.

Hijiki - Found primarily in the Far East, contains the most calcium of any of the sea vegetables, 1400mg/100gr dry weight (compared to milk with 100mg/100gr.) In its natural state it is very tough; after harvesting it is dried, steamed and dried some more. When cooked, it rehydrates and expands about five times its dry volume.

Kelp - This sea vegetable grows mainly in the north along the Pacific and Atlantic coastlines. The name kelp is European in origin and originally referred to the ash derived from burning brown algae, which was used to produce soap and glass. Most often dried and sold whole, granulated or powdered. It can be sprinkled on foods as a condiment, or whole kelp adds a nice touch to salads or it can be used as a wrap for a variety of fillings.

Kombu - Kombu can be used for soup stock or added to the bottom of a pot of rice or vegetables to help them keep from sticking; added to a pot of beans, kombu helps them cook faster and renders them more digestible due to the high mineral content.

Wakame & Alaria - These seaweeds are similar in characteristics but differ in their habitats. Wakame is collected in the cold waters off the island of Hokaido, Japan and alaria is harvested in North America. Wakame is a good source of protein, iron, calcium, sodium & other minerals and vitamins. Alaria is high in vitamin K and the B-vitamins as well as the minerals iodine and bromine.

Red Algae
Agar-Agar - This is a versatile, tasty gel that will set at room temperature. Its been used for centuries in the home as a mild laxative and as a basic ingredient in a Japanese dessert, kanten. Agar-agar is rich in iodine and trace elements.

Irish Moss - Irish Moss is most often used dried in relishes, breads, soups or fritters. Many people snack on this dried dulse straight out of the bag.

Nori - Unlike other sea vegetables that are collected wild, Japanese nori is cultivated. In Ireland, it is known as sloke and in Scotland and Wales as laver. Gaelic people have long made flat breads from flour and nori, known as laver bread. Its most prominent use is as the wrapping for sushi, although it can be cut into strips, lightly toasted and used as a garnish as well. It is exceptionally high in vitamin A and protein.

http://members.efn.org/~sundance/Seaweed.html

carra63's photo
Sun 03/04/12 11:55 PM
10 Surprising Health Benefits of Coconut Milk
Aside from making foods creamier and tastier, coconut milk is a healthy addition to various food preparations. Here’s what you’ll get for every cup (240 grams) of what the Brazilians call leite de coco.

Coconut milk is produced by grating a mature coconut and squeezing it with the use of cheesecloth or both bare hands. The milky white liquid called gata in the Philippines and santan in Malaysia, Indonesia and Brunei is used in various food recipes such as delicious curries, desserts and sauces. Aside from making foods creamier and tastier, coconut milk is a healthy addition to different food preparations.

1. Helps the body maintain blood sugar levels (Manganese – 110%)
Poor glucose tolerance may mean a deficiency of manganese in the body. Coconut milk is an excellent source of this essential mineral. Nuts, legumes and whole grains are some of the highest sources of manganese.
2. Keeps blood vessels and skin elastic and flexible (Copper – 32%)
The mineral copper is critically important for many bodily functions. Together with vitamin C, it helps keep blood vessels and skin elastic and flexible.

3. Helps build strong bones (Phosphorus – 24%)
No, coconut milk isn’t packed with calcium; it is rich in phosphorus, a nutrient which the body needs so little of but is just as important as the best-known bone mineral—calcium. Phosphorus often needs to be taken with calcium especially in the prevention of bone loss as it supplies the body with phosphate, the main element of the bone structure.
4. Helps prevent anemia (Iron – 22%)
Iron deficiency is one of the most common nutrient deficiencies among individuals worldwide. Lack of iron in the body prevents it from creating enough hemoglobin to keep adequate levels of oxygen in the red blood cells which causes anemia. Every cup of coconut milk can supply the body with almost a quarter of the daily value of iron.
5. Relaxes nerves and muscles (Magnesium – 22%)
Every time you feel muscle soreness or muscle cramps, have some food with coconut milk. Its rich magnesium content might help relieve the problem. One of the functions of magnesium is being a chemical gate blocker in many nerve cells. Without magnesium in the body, nerve cells can become over active as a result of calcium which activates the nerves. Over active nerve cells can cause over contraction of muscles.
6. Helps in weight control (Fiber – 21%)
Good news to people who are trying to lose weight. Coconut milk helps you feel fuller faster with the help of its rich fiber content.
7. Reduces risk of joint inflammation (Selenium – 21%)
Selenium is one of the antioxidants. By controlling free radicals, it helps relieve symptoms of arthritis. Low selenium levels in the body were also found to people suffering from rheumatoid arthritis.
8. Helps lower high blood pressure levels (Potassium – 18%)
Individuals who are concerned with their blood pressure will have no problem reaching for foods enriched with coconut milk as it contains potassium, the blood pressure-lowering mineral.
9. Helps keep immune system healthy (Vitamin C – 11%)
Coconut milk can help ward off coughs and colds by helping the immune system stay in top shape by providing an additional supply of vitamin C in the body.
10. Promotes prostate health (Zinc – 11%)
The mineral zinc may play an important role in prostate health as preliminary studies have shown that it helps slow down the activation of cancer cells.

http://healthmad.com/nutrition

carra63's photo
Sun 03/04/12 11:54 PM
5 Nutrients You're Not Getting Enough Of
After a long hard day at the office, I crave a manly dinner. Something that will sharpen my mind, feed my muscles, and infuse me with energy to keep up with two young kids till bedtime.
So, often, I have a bowl of cereal. With bananas and whole milk. Mmm.
Do I feel like I’m depriving my body of key nutrients? Quite the opposite, actually. My favorite dinner isn't just for kids. It contains high levels of three nutrients that American adults need much more of: B12, potassium, and iodine. Our shortfalls with these nutrients—along with vitamin D and magnesium—have serious health consequences, including a higher risk of heart disease and stroke, fatigue, and weight gain.
Here's the good news: These nutrients are readily available in the foods you know and love. You can get more of one simply by spending more time outside. That doesn't sound so hard, does it? Here's how to fortify your diet—and your health.
1. VITAMIN D
This vitamin's biggest claim to fame is its role in strengthening your skeleton. But vitamin D isn't a one-trick nutrient: A study in Circulation found that people deficient in D were up to 80 percent more likely to suffer a heart attack or stroke. The reason? Vitamin D may reduce inflammation in your arteries. Also, a University of Minnesota study found that people with adequate vitamin D levels release more leptin, a hormone that conveys the "I'm full" message to your brain. Even more impressive, the study also found that the nutrient triggers weight loss primarily from the belly. Another study found that people with higher D levels in their bloodstream store less fat.
The shortfall: Vitamin D is created in your body when the sun's ultraviolet B rays penetrate your skin. Problem is, the vitamin D you stockpile during sunnier months is often depleted by winter, especially if you live in the northern half of the United States, where UVB rays are less intense from November through February. When Boston University researchers measured the vitamin D status of young adults at the end of winter, 36 percent of them were found to be deficient.
Hit the mark: First, ask your doctor to test your blood levels of 25-hydroxyvitamin D. "You need to be above 30 nanograms per milliliter," says Michael Holick, M.D., Ph.D., a professor of medicine at Boston University. Come up short? Eat foods like salmon (900 IU per serving), mackerel (400 IU), and tuna (150 IU). Milk and eggs are also good, with about 100 IU per serving. But to ensure you're getting enough, take 1,400 IU of vitamin D daily from a supplement and a multivitamin. That's about seven times the recommended daily intake for men, but it takes that much to boost blood levels of D, says Dr. Holick.
YOU, IMPROVED: If you have a problem, we have your solution. Click here for surprising ways to improve your life today!
2. MAGNESIUM
This lightweight mineral is a tireless multitasker: It's involved in more than 300 bodily processes. Plus, a study in the Journal of the American College of Nutrition found that low levels of magnesium may increase your blood levels of C-reactive protein, a key marker of heart disease.
The shortfall: Nutrition surveys reveal that men consume only about 80 percent of the recommended 400 milligrams (mg) of magnesium a day. "We're just barely getting by," says Dana King, M.D., a professor of family medicine at the Medical University of South Carolina. "Without enough magnesium, every cell in your body has to struggle to generate energy."
Hit the mark: Fortify your diet with more magnesium-rich foods, such as halibut, navy beans, and spinach. Then hit the supplement aisle: Few men can reach 400 mg through diet alone, so Dr. King recommends ingesting some insurance in the form of a 250 mg supplement. One caveat: Scrutinize the ingredients list. You want a product that uses magnesium citrate, the form best absorbed by your body.
DID YOU KNOW? There are 46,000 foods in the average supermarket. How to choose what to put in your cart? Here's your shopping list: The 125 Best Foods.
3. VITAMIN B12
Consider B12 the guardian of your gray matter: In a British study, older people with the lowest levels of B12 lost brain volume at a faster rate over a span of five years than those with the highest levels.
The shortfall: Even though most men do consume the daily quota of 2.4 micrograms, the stats don't tell the whole story. "We're seeing an increase in B12 deficiencies due to interactions with medications," says Katherine Tucker, Ph.D., director of a USDA program at Tufts University. The culprits: acid-blocking drugs, such as Prilosec, and the diabetes medication metformin.
Hit the mark: You'll find B12 in lamb and salmon, but the most accessible source may be fortified cereals. That's because the B12 in meat is bound to proteins, and your stomach must produce acid to release and absorb it. Eat a bowl of 100 percent B12-boosted cereal and milk every morning and you'll be covered, even if you take the occasional acid-blocking med. However, if you pop Prilosec on a regular basis or are on metformin, talk to your doctor about tracking your B12 levels and possibly taking an additional supplement.
4. POTASSIUM
Without this essential mineral, your heart couldn't beat, your muscles wouldn't contract, and your brain couldn't comprehend this sentence. Why? Potassium helps your cells use glucose for energy.
The shortfall: Despite potassium's can't-live-without-it importance, nutrition surveys indicate that young men consume just 60 percent to 70 percent of the recommended 4,700 mg a day. To make matters worse, most guys load up on sodium: High sodium can boost blood pressure, while normal potassium levels work to lower it, says Lydia A. L. Bazzano, M.D., Ph.D., an assistant professor of epidemiology at Tulane University.
Hit the mark: Half an avocado contains nearly 500 mg potassium, while one banana boasts roughly 400 mg. Not a fan of either fruit? Pick up some potatoes—a single large spud is packed with 1,600 mg. Most multivitamins have less than 100 mg of potassium, so eat your fruits and vegetables, folks!
5. IODINE
Your thyroid gland requires iodine to produce the hormones T3 and T4, both of which help control how efficiently you burn calories. That means insufficient iodine may cause you to gain weight and feel fatigued.
The shortfall: Since iodized salt is an important source of the element, you might assume you're swimming in the stuff. But when University of Texas at Arlington researchers tested 88 samples of table salt, they found that half contained less than the FDA-recommended amount of iodine. And you're not making up the difference with all the salt hiding in processed foods—U.S. manufacturers aren't required to use iodized salt. The result is that we've been sliding toward iodine deficiency since the 1970s.
Hit the mark: Sprinkling more salt on top of an already sodium-packed diet isn't a great idea, but iodine can also be found in a nearly sodium-free source: milk. Animal feed is fortified with the element, meaning it travels from cows to your cereal bowl. Not a milk man? Eat at least one serving of eggs or yogurt a day; both are good sources of iodine.

health.yahoo.net

carra63's photo
Sun 03/04/12 11:53 PM
Eating Just Fish Could be Mortal

Did you know that fish has all essential amino acids that humans need to survive? However, we could die if we have only fish in our diet. This is because fish has no Vitamin C which is crucial for human survival. Even today we use few drops of lemon when eating cooked fish. Only fish that consumes plankton has vitamin C, but only way to properly extract it is to eat fish raw with the contents of their intestines.

interestingfacts.org

carra63's photo
Sun 03/04/12 11:53 PM
Chocolate 'may cut stroke risk'

Research found chocolate compounds may reduce inflammation that leads to heart disease

Chocolate-lovers could be cutting their risk of heart disease, diabetes and stroke, research suggests.
Previous studies have found that chocolate, particularly of the dark variety, contains compounds which may reduce the inflammation that leads to heart disease. The sweet treat is also hailed as having antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties, which could be beneficial for health.
In the latest research, published in the British Medical Journal (BMJ), experts from the University of Cambridge reviewed seven studies on the issue. Five reported a positive link between higher levels of chocolate consumption and lower risks of several diseases.
People who ate the most chocolate had a 37% reduced risk of heart disease and a 29% reduction in stroke compared with those eating the least. One of the studies also found a 31% lower risk of diabetes for chocolate-lovers. No significant reduction was found in relation to heart failure.
The research, which covered more than 100,000 people, included milk, dark and white chocolate and examined consumption of chocolate bars, drinks, biscuits and desserts.
High consumption was generally regarded, depending on the study, as eating chocolate products more than once a week or 7.5g daily.
However, the authors warned that the results should be interpreted with caution, especially because chocolate is so calorific it can cause weight gain. Excess weight increases the risk of several diseases, including diabetes, cancer and heart disease.
While the health benefits of eating chocolate mean more could be done to reduce its fat and sugar content, further studies are needed, the experts said.
Victoria Taylor, from the British Heart Foundation, said: "Evidence does suggest chocolate might have some heart health benefits but we need to find out why that might be. We can't start advising people to eat lots of chocolate based on this research.
"It didn't explore what it is about chocolate that could help and if one particular type of chocolate is better than another. If you want to reduce your heart disease risk, there are much better places to start than at the bottom of a box of chocolates."

http://news.uk.msn.com/uk/chocolate-may-cut-stroke-risk

carra63's photo
Sun 03/04/12 11:52 PM
20 unusual uses for vinegar
(Photo: Stephanie Rogers)

Chances are you’ve got a big bottle of vinegar in your pantry right now that you only use it as a condiment. Prized for thousands of years, this fermented liquid was discovered by accident when products like wine, beer, and cider spoiled, turning them sour. But did you know that vinegar -- particularly the distilled white and apple cider varieties -- has hundreds of household, beauty, medicinal and even horticultural uses?
Here are 20 unusual, thrifty, and eco-friendly uses for vinegar that you may not have thought of.
1. Condition hair
Silky, shiny, buildup-free hair using a single cheap, natural product? Sign me up! It may sound odd, but using apple cider vinegar as a rinse after shampooing really does work like a dream. It removes residue from the hair shaft and closes the cuticles. Just add half a tablespoon of vinegar to a cup of water, plus a few drops of essential oil if you like. Pour it on in the shower and then rinse it out. Sure, your hair will smell like salad dressing for a while, but once it’s dry, the smell dissipates.
2. Kill weeds
A few rogue weeds can wreak havoc in an otherwise flawless lawn, vegetable garden, or flowerbed and are especially annoying when popping up in the cracks of a sidewalk or driveway. Forget pricey weed killers full of toxic ingredients -- household vinegar really does kill unwanted plants; stronger vinegar made for horticultural use, which is 25% acetic acid, works even better.
3. Remove underarm stains
Unsightly sweat stains can really ruin an otherwise beautiful blouse. Ironically, if you use aluminum-based antiperspirants, they’re even more likely to appear, thanks to a reaction between aluminum compounds in these products and salts in your sweat. Spray full-strength white vinegar on the stain before washing, and it will disappear.
4. Soften fabrics
Add 1/2 cup of white vinegar to the wash cycle, and not only will it prevent lint from clinging to your clothes and keep colors bright, it’ll also remove soap scum from both the clothes you’re washing and the washing machine itself. Vinegar is also recommended in place of dryer sheets -- simply add 3/4 cup to your washer during the final rinse cycle.
5. Remedy sore throats
Many people recommend sipping or gargling with a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in a cup of warm water to soothe a sore throat. Add a few tablespoons of honey (also a seriously versatile product!) to this mixture in order to make it even more effective and far more palatable.
6. Deter ants
Got trails of tiny ants weaving their way around your home? These annoying insects aren’t big fans of vinegar, so spraying a 50/50 mixture of white vinegar and water anywhere you have seen them can help encourage them to move out. The vinegar also erases the scent trails that they use to indicate sources of food to their brethren.
7. Soak sore muscles
Apple cider vinegar helps draw out lactic acid, which accumulates in muscles after exercise, causing that sore feeling. Mix a few tablespoons of vinegar into a cup of water, dip a cloth in the mixture, and apply it to sore areas for 20 minutes.
8. Freshen air
Whether it’s smoke, mildew, pet odor, or lingering whiffs of burnt casserole, bad smells can make a home less than welcoming. Store-bought air fresheners just cover up the smell with strong, clearly artificial scents, creating disturbing hybrid smells that only serve to worsen the situation. Acetic acid in vinegar absorbs odors, so spritzing it around the room will neutralize the smells. You can also use it to wipe down surfaces in the room that needs freshening.
9. Remove stickers
If you’re just getting around to removing that Kerry/Edwards decal from your bumper, or trying to peel a price tag off a new purchase, you’ll never guess what magic ingredient is about to make your life a lot easier. Warm a little bit of white vinegar on the stovetop or in the microwave and then dip a rag into it. Hold the rag over the sticker until it’s thoroughly saturated, and it will peel right off without leaving sticky residue behind. This trick also loosens wallpaper adhesive.
10. Cure hiccups
Most doctors claim that hiccup cures don’t actually work, but tell that to the thousands of people who swear by vinegar as a way to ease these involuntary spasms. It’s not clear how a shot of vinegar would actually help -- other than to distract you with its acidic flavor -- but next time you’ve got a bout of the hiccups, give it a try.
11. Clean crusty paintbrushes
So you forgot to clean your paintbrushes last time you used them, and now they’re so stiff and crusty, it seems that you’ll have to throw them away. Not so fast! Fill a saucepan with undiluted white vinegar and bring it to a boil over medium heat. Dip the paintbrushes into the boiling vinegar, one at a time, dragging the bristles along the bottom of the pan. Continue this process until the paint is dissolved.
12. Dissolve rust
The acetic acid in vinegar reacts with iron oxide to remove rust from small metal items like hinges, nuts and bolts. Simmer them in a saucepan full of vinegar, then rinse well with water to prevent the vinegar from further affecting the metal.
13. Eliminate stale odors
You know how lunchboxes and other food containers can take on a funny smell after a while? Vinegar can take care of that, too. Either wipe down the surface well with white vinegar or, in severe cases, leave a cloth soaked in vinegar in the container for a few hours to absorb the odors.
14. Remove mineral deposits
Calcium and lime deposits from hard water don’t just stain coffeemakers and bath tubs, they can actually clog showerheads and reduce dishwasher function. Run a mixture of half water, half white vinegar through your coffee machine to remove them. Use straight vinegar as a rinsing agent in your dishwasher to prevent buildup, and wrap a vinegar-soaked cloth around stained faucets until the deposits can be easily scrubbed away. To clean a clogged showerhead, remove it from the pipe and place it in a saucepan full of white vinegar. Simmer for just a few minutes, being careful not to allow it to boil, and then wash off the stains.
15. Neutralize spice in foods
You’ve got a dinner disaster on your hands: One too many shakes of cayenne powder has turned your award-winning chili into an inedible five-alarm blaze, and your guests are waiting at the table. Vinegar to the rescue! Add white or apple cider vinegar to your food, one teaspoon at a time, to neutralize the spice.
16. Prolong the life of cut flowers
Bouquets of cut flowers brighten a room all too briefly, often wilting after just a few days. Squeeze a little extra enjoyment out of your arrangements by adding two tablespoons of white vinegar per quart of water in the vase, which will keep them perky just a little bit longer.
17. Clean glass, plastic, chrome, and floors
A half-and-half solution of water and white vinegar will cut the grime on the shelves and walls of the refrigerator and eliminate spoiled-food smells too. Full-strength vinegar will remove tough smudges on glass and make porcelain sinks shine. Make it into a paste with a little baking soda to scrub chrome, or mix 1/3 white vinegar with 1/3 rubbing alcohol, 1/3 water, and 3 drops of dishwashing liquid for an economical floor cleaner. Just be sure not to get vinegar on marble, granite, or slate surfaces.
18. Treat fungal infections
Fungal infections like athlete’s foot, toe nail fungus, and dandruff are definitely no fun. White vinegar and apple cider vinegar can both be applied topically to affected areas of the body to kill fungus. For foot-related ailments, soak in a solution of one part vinegar to five parts water for about 30 minutes a day.
19. Tenderize and kill bacteria in meat
Marinate meat overnight in apple cider vinegar, and it will be delectably tender. This can reportedly also kill the bacteria that causes food-borne illnesses, including e. coli.
20. Open drains and freshen garbage disposals
Clear a clogged drain without the nasty, headache-inducing chemicals. Dump about 3/4 cup of baking soda down the drain and chase it with 1/2 cup white vinegar, then plug the drain. Leave it for about 30 minutes before rinsing with a kettle full of boiling water. You can use the same trick to clean and deodorize garbage disposals, or freeze vinegar in an ice cube tray and grind them up in the disposal to clean and sharpen the blades at the same time.

http://shine.yahoo.com/event/green/2...negar-2588664/

carra63's photo
Sun 03/04/12 11:51 PM
How We Classify Vegetables and Fruits
It's human nature to classify things. Grouping comparable items can make things more orderly, and helps us better understand the similarities and differences between things. In many instances categories are clearly defined, but when it comes to food, things get a bit hazy, particularly when classifying fruits and vegetables. In science, a fruit is a fleshy, ripe, seed-containing ovary, while a vegetable is the unseeded, edible portion of a plant. In the real world, though, it isn't always that straightforward.
Fruits

To a botanist, any edible plant part that houses seeds is a fruit. This broad group can be further divided into simple fruits and aggregates. Simple fruits stem from a solitary ovary and include grapes, citrus fruits, apples, pears, melons, peaches and plums. Aggregate fruits stem from multiple ovaries, resulting in small fruits with edible seeds, such as raspberries and strawberries. Outside of the science lab, however, most people consider the flavor of the product to be of primary importance when classifying produce: In the eyes of the general public, fruits are sweet and vegetables are not.

Fruiting Vegetables

There are a number of popular vegetables that are technically fruits. Strictly speaking, succulent, fleshy vegetables such as tomatoes, eggplant and bell peppers are fruits, as are seeded vegetables such as corn, peas and green beans. They arise from the plant's ovaries and contain the plant's seeds, meeting the definition of fruit, but they have a low sucrose content and, subsequently, lack the sugary taste commonly associated with fruit. They are, therefore, also classified as vegetables.

Leaves and Stems

The edible (and unseeded) portion of a given plant is the vegetable. Represented by a diverse collection of herbaceous plants, vegetables are often classified by the part of the plant that's eaten. Above the ground, gardeners cultivate greens such as lettuce, cabbage, bok choy and spinach for their tasty leaves, while vegetables such as celery and asparagus are grown for their succulent stems,

Bulbs, Roots and Tubers

While many vegetables are cultivated for their above-ground foliage, others are dug from the ground each year, providing sustenance and nourishment to people all over the world. Edible bulbs, such as garlic and onions, add flavor and zest to any number of dishes, while tubers, such as potatoes and yams, find their way into virtually every meal that comes out of the kitchen. Roots vegetables, such as carrots, turnips and parsnips, are valued for their long storage life, as they provide essential nutrients in the cold winter months when little else is growing.

Mushrooms

Mushrooms, such as buttons, shitakes, oysters, wood ears or truffles, are often found in the produce department nestled among the vegetables, but they're not vegetables. Mushrooms are forms of edible fungi and, as such, are not part of the plant kingdom. Fungi do not have roots or leaves, and they do not use photosynthesis to produce energy; therefore, they're not plants and cannot be vegetables.

eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/info_8143130_cla...#ixzz1bQfzwur7